Bring fish back on ship?

jplee3

Hey all,

Was just wondering if the ship allows you to bring fish back on if you caught it and had it processed (frozen or smoked). Maybe smoked won't be a problem but will they allow frozen?

I thought I read somewhere that some cruises (probably smaller ones) may be willing to prepare your catch for you.

Anyone know for the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas? I'd venture to guess that they won't let me bring any fish back on unless it's smoked or commercial bought...?

You can't bring the fish you caught back on board.

If you have your fish smoked or commercially frozen it takes longer than you have remaining in port, even freezing is a pick it up the next day thing, and smoking takes many hours or days.

Even if you could bring your own frozen fish back on board there is no where to keep it, the ship won't put it in their freezers, and your ice chest is not going to keep it frozen enough to be safe later on.

The best thing to do is have it prepared and shipped home. The compnay will overnight it and will hold it in AK so that it arrives back home after you do.

The best thing to do is have it prepared and shipped home. The compnay will overnight it and will hold it in AK so that it arrives back home after you do.

Overnighting via FedEx is the solution and it is expensive. Most fish processors will arrange this for you but be prepared to pay dearly.

If not on a cruise, you can pick up your fish, flash frozen at the processor and already in a fish box. It can then be an item of checked baggage on your flight home. This only works if you re flying the same day as you claim your frozen fish.

For others, several vendors, take single passengers, just filling their boats. You may not have a choice on time, but many do not require you to charter their boats, and sell individual tours.

We did a head boat halibut fishing trip out of homer. It was a lot of fun and we each caught 2 fish (the limit) about between 15 and 20 pounds. It was shipped home. I do not want to know what that fish cost me per pound but it was delicious.

DON

We did a head boat halibut fishing trip out of homer. It was a lot of fun and we each caught 2 fish (the limit) about between 15 and 20 pounds. It was shipped home. I do not want to know what that fish cost me per pound but it was delicious.

DON

I've never cared about the costs. :) Was always well worth it for my family.

Don't know about shipping fish during a cruise but know shipping overnite Fed Ex is VERY expensive. I priced processing and shipping a 50# box from Homer to Chicago and was told $340. Have been fishing up here for 15+ years and am fortunate to stay at my nephews. We smoke,package, and freeze the fish ourselves. I then bring it home in a fish box@$25 each(checked in luggage).I bring 2-3 boxes home each year. Have been up here for 3 weeks now and have got 8 halibut(100#) and 24 salmon(75#) and 3 more weeks to go. Also if you do plan on taking on plane do not use dry ice as it is considered a hazardous material and will be denied. Good luck with your fishing.

we caught two halibut (not sure of the weights, my granddaughter's was the largest one caught) and one rockfish. Shipping was about $120 total. I picked the day to have it shipped, came frozen in individual portion vacuum packs, labeled, in a styrofoam cooler, delivered by FedEx.