Caribbean Princess from Southampton

sammybonny

We will be doing the Norwegian Fjords cruise at the end of August.

We were on Royal Princess last week and on formal nights not many men wore tuxedos/dinner jackets.

We were wondering what others have experienced recently on Caribbean Princess and if my husband should bother taking his dinner suit or not.

Also any tips from the recent Fjords cruisers would be much appreciated.

That is one down side for me on Princess on formal nights the rules say tuxedo or dark suit but very few oblige and a lot dont even wear a shirt or tie for some reason some they think a dark t-shirt with a suit is formal. IMO they shouldnt be allowed into MDR if they arent at least wearing a suit, shirt and tie.

Edited by majortom10

We were on Royal Princess last week and on formal nights not many men wore tuxedos/dinner jackets.

We were wondering what others have experienced recently on Caribbean Princess and if my husband should bother taking his dinner suit or not.

We just returned today from Fjords on Caribbean Princess and I would say in our dining room the majority of men were in Tux and the ladies dressed up, some fab gowns were around. Not sure about other venues around the ship the Buffet was casual on formal night. Hope this helps

We just recently returned from a Baltic cruise on the Caribbean Princess that ended on 7/11/15. It was the strongest adherence to the dress code I've seen in my 10 Princess cruises. Even my brother and SIL who usually cruise on Celebrity remarked on it. The majority of passengers were British and probably ages 60-75. My DH and brother both wore rented tuxes. Warning for tux renters: try it on more than 15 minutes before the first formal dinner. My DH didn't and discovered his pants were about 5 inches too long! There was no time to do anything about it that night except to roll them underneath which didn't work well at all. Once we called it to the room steward's attention the pants were replaced within 24 hours, so DH was fine for the 2nd and 3rd formal nights. :)

We were on the 14 night Fjords and North cape cruise in June. There were three formal nights, and we only participated in one. There were quite a few individuals dressed up...which we only did for photos one night, and then the other nights, we ate in the Crown Grill as the dress code is relaxed as opposed to the MDR.

As far as tips...it was cold, especially at the north cape. I am not sure what the weather will be in August, but once above the Arctic Circle, it was cold. You will need Norwegian Krone's in some places, so take a few, and also realize that is quite expensive in Norway for most things.

Finally, if you have never been before, get ready for some of the most breathtaking scenery you will ever see.....we thought we had a good idea what to expect....but nothing could prepare us for what we actually experienced.

Not sure it was 80 % in tuxes, but for sure any cruise we've done out of Great Britain has had a greater number. And of course the cooler temps in Norway north make it easier to dress full formal.