Price Increase

Mocha57

Hello!

I just noticed a $100pp price increase in the Verandah cabin I am planning on booking for a cruise starting next month. Is this due to the Explore 4 promotion coming up? (Or is it because the pricing is for a more desirable VE cabin?) I thought Explore 4 was only being offered on 2016 and beyond cruises. Would you recommend booking the cruise now, or wait until Monday when the Explore 4 offer starts? I don't want to have the desired cabin sold out, but I wouldn't want to miss out on the perks.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mocha

Edited by Mocha57

Hello!

I just noticed a $100pp price increase in the Verandah cabin I am planning on booking for a cruise starting next month. Is this due to the Explore 4 promotion coming up? (Or is it because the pricing is for a more desirable VE cabin?) I thought Explore 4 was only being offered on 2016 and beyond cruises. Would you recommend booking the cruise now, or wait until Monday when the Explore 4 offer starts? I don't want to have the desired cabin sold out, but I wouldn't want to miss out on the perks.

Mocha

Based on the $100 per person increase I think it is mostly likely because of Explore 4 IF this sailing will/is eligible for Explore 4. Our sailing is eligible for Explore 4 and it went up $100 per person. The price most likely will not increase before now and tomorrow so wait for the Explore 4 to be available. Call HAL and ask them to put the cabin on hold if you have few selections of a desired cabin.

Edited by qsuzi

Hello!

Mocha

I doubt that this small of an increase is due to Explore4. Mine went up by $500 pp for a 10 day in a Vista cabin on Friday

My Alaska cruise has not gone up since I started looking at it six weeks ago. I have been checking it frequently since word of the new Explore4 got out. Wonder if the price will increase overnight or maybe it won't even be part of the program?

Our Canada/New England September cruise is up over $660 for one category below what we have booked. I can't make a direct comparison, as they've sold out our category, so the actual increase would be more. Plus we have $200 OBC and a Dine Around package that wouldn't be available if I booked today.

Price increases sure do vary between all the responders. I wonder how recently Mocha just recently noticed the increase and if indeed it was up $100 pp as of 2am? Do you think it is likely it will go up again in 1 day? Bottom line no way to be sure.

Edited by qsuzi

Price increases sure do vary between all the responders. I wonder how recently Mocha just recently noticed the increase and if indeed it was up $100 pp as of 2am? Do you think it is likely it will go up again in 1 day? Bottom line no way to be sure.

Price increases vary to cabin category and length of cruise. Further, whether or not it will be included in Explore4.

Price increases vary to cabin category and length of cruise. Further, whether or not it will be included in Explore4.

True dat :). PCC/TA will know about Explore 4 eligibility. My sailing is eligible, how about yours?

Edited by qsuzi

I try to check pricing once a day on our upcoming cruises. We always book as early as possible so we get the cabin we want and hope that the pricing will go down. Imagine my surprise when our 12 day Canada/New England cruise booked for October 2016 increased by $730 per person for a midship verandah. I never expected that kind of price change so far ahead of the actual cruise date. I'm just sitting tight for now and happy with the price we're paying.

Helen

Edited by helenpsl

I try to check pricing once a day on our upcoming cruises. We always book as early as possible so we get the cabin we want and hope that the pricing will go down. Imagine my surprise when our 12 day Canada/New England cruise booked for October 2016 increased by $730 per person for a midship verandah. I never expected that kind of price change so far ahead of the actual cruise date. I'm just sitting tight for now and happy with the price we're paying.

Helen

You are a long, long way out. I'd bet the pricing will come down! Hope so!!

Helen

The cruise we have booked had a $700/person (Cdn) increase too. I'm really really hoping there's a decrease before final payment date.

Our 33 day cruise has gone up to around $1,000 pp for a Signature Suite. I'm quite sure it is partially related to the increase in the pricing for Canadian $ (we did book in Canadian dollars) but I noted that the U.S. $ pricing has also gone up and there are no sales now.

I think the cruise is selling well and the pricing is indicative of that. There were not a lot of Signature Suites left when we booked and that was a while ago!

Hello!

Mocha

Mocha, if you are cruising next month, your cruise is definitely NOT on the Explore4, the price more than likely went up for your category based on limited supply. Most of HAL pricing is based on supply and demand. As a ship starts to fill up with limited availability the price will increase just like Air Fare. If they have lots of cabins remaining then they do Flash sales for certain categories to move cabins. This year for both Europe and especially Alaska availability has been limited with many sailings selling out early and more offers to move people to another date. It actually has been a very good summer for Holland America with Full sailing ships.

As for pricing of the Explore4 I have spent most of the day comparing pricing and while yes it has gone up and I have actually found a few that stayed the same and a couple that went down. But in the Vista, Signature and Neptune Suites for the most part they went up $200.00 per person and since you get $300.00 per cabin and the Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto. You are really only paying $50.00 per person for the Beverage Card and the Specialty Dining so for most it is still a very good deal!!

Mocha, if you are cruising next month, your cruise is definitely NOT on the Explore4, the price more than likely went up for your category based on limited supply. Most of HAL pricing is based on supply and demand. As a ship starts to fill up with limited availability the price will increase just like Air Fare. If they have lots of cabins remaining then they do Flash sales for certain categories to move cabins. This year for both Europe and especially Alaska availability has been limited with many sailings selling out early and more offers to move people to another date. It actually has been a very good summer for Holland America with Full sailing ships.

As for pricing of the Explore4 I have spent most of the day comparing pricing and while yes it has gone up and I have actually found a few that stayed the same and a couple that went down. But in the Vista, Signature and Neptune Suites for the most part they went up $200.00 per person and since you get $300.00 per cabin and the Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto. You are really only paying $50.00 per person for the Beverage Card and the Specialty Dining so for most it is still a very good deal!!

It appears that the price increase varies alot by ship and sailing. My Vista on a 10 day went up by $500pp. For $1000 more its hard to justify getting the beverage package, unless you drinks run $100 per day. So, each person will have to calculate the best approach for them tomorrow when we see the final deals and pricing.

Well now I'm embarrassed because I missed where she said her cruise was next month. I need to read posts more carefully. Sorry.

Edited by qsuzi

I have booked Veendam for April 12/2016 OV at $1318,80 CAN. My Personnel Cruise Consultant told me the rate with Explore4 staring tomorrow, July/20, will be over $1900. Glad I booked today...

Edited by Tangocherie

Well now I'm embarrassed because I missed where she said her cruise was next month. I need to read posts more carefully. Sorry.

Don't be embarrassed because the wording is a bit different and I took it as cruising next month but it could have meant going to shop for a cruise next month :confused:

First of all, thank you to everybody who took the time to respond.

I wonder how recently Mocha just recently noticed the increase and if indeed it was up $100 pp as of 2am?

I have been checking prices daily for about 6 weeks. This increase was overnight between July 17 and 18. I didn't get a chance to post my questions until late (also, I am a bit of a night owl!)

This year for both Europe and especially Alaska availability has been limited with many sailings selling out early and more offers to move people to another date. It actually has been a very good summer for Holland America with Full sailing ships.

That is kind of what I am seeing, as well. This is our fourth cruise to Alaska, and I am not seeing the same pricing pattern as usual. Thank you for confirming that in my mind.

Again, thank you everybody for your helpful responses. Based on responses and discussion with hubby, I will be booking tonight. We are not big drinkers, and we can book a reservation (before sail date) at the Pinnacle if we decide we would like to have dinner there one evening. We have always enjoyed dining in the MDR, so we won't be crushed if we miss out on dinner in the Pinnacle. Not worth risking another price increase or losing out on booking a VE cabin.

Thanks all!

Mocha

Don't be embarrassed because the wording is a bit different and I took it as cruising next month but it could have meant going to shop for a cruise next month :confused:

Oh dear, my bad! :o That was awkwardly worded. Apologies! We will be leaving for Alaska next month.

Mocha

The one I am looking at just went up $500 pp for an outside 14 day cruise. Will just wait till this scam goes away and book it then we are not drinkers.

You might check with HAL or your TA - perhaps they can give you a lower price without the Explore4. I have seen this offer on a TA website in the past.