Royal and their false advertisement. Read before you book

I find this interesting I had the same conversation with my TA I saw a great fare on NOS for a balcony what they do not tell you is that the price you see is the combined price so the first rate is higher then the rate on line the second price is 1/2 of that and it is average together.. I do feel it is somewhat of a con believing that the rate that was shown on the site should be the first person rate not a jacked up rate and the 1/2 price should be off the rate that is shown..

My TA told me that people really like BOGO sale I really cannot see how this is so popular I find it somewhat deceiving . Bottom line I did get a good rate and am happy with it. I just do not like how the BOGO is handled

Edited by dfishner

The $1143 that is stated per person for a superior balcony is the highest price listed. However, when you click on the area where it states view summary of charges it shows $1409 per person. Both prices are without the taxes. If that is not false advertising, since you are not getting the second person half off since they raised the amounts of each person to a different amount to cover the so called half off at check out, then what would you call it?

I call it a marketing gimmick, but not false advertising. When you're looking at cruise prices, there is an asterisk next to the price and a note at the bottom of the page that says:

"*Prices are average per person, cruise only, based on double occupancy, reflect promotional savings (if any), for new individual bookings, are subject to change and availability."

So, they do tell you that the prices are average per person and already reflect any promotional savings. But I understand how you could miss that and be confused.

Here's the math:

Passenger #1: $1409

Passenger #2: $ 704.50 ($1409/2)

TOTAL: $2113.50

AVERAGE Cost/Passenger: $1056.25

I assume the extra $87 ($1143-$1056.25) posted by the OP is the port fees for both passengers (you don't get those 1/2 off).

There hasn't been a true sale since May of 2014. That's when they first started the BOGOHO sale. For 2 weeks it really was a sale. I paid about$2200.00 for a 9 night on the Serenade for this December for a superior balcony. In June, 2014, I tried the same for a friend of mine and it went to $3097.00. That's pretty much where it's been since, give or take $100.00.

Does anyone ever fly? Those prices go up and down by the minute. There could be 280 passengers and 140 different fares. And they have sales every day it seems. YMMV

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

There hasn't been a true sale since May of 2014. That's when they first started the BOGOHO sale. For 2 weeks it really was a sale. I paid about$2200.00 for a 9 night on the Serenade for this December for a superior balcony. In June, 2014, I tried the same for a friend of mine and it went to $3097.00. That's pretty much where it's been since, give or take $100.00.

Same here. We got our Serenade 11 night for only 2500 in a D1. It is now going for 4500. Crazy.

I recently booked a rcl during a rare period with no bogo sale. The next month bogo restarted. The base fare per person was the same, and i got half off the second. The sale saved me money.

I didn't feel deceived.

I like that the website figures the math out straight away, but it would be just as easy for me to figure in my head 150% of the advertised rate vs. 200% when comparing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I call it a marketing gimmick, but not false advertising. When you're looking at cruise prices, there is an asterisk next to the price and a note at the bottom of the page that says:

"*Prices are average per person, cruise only, based on double occupancy, reflect promotional savings (if any), for new individual bookings, are subject to change and availability."

So, they do tell you that the prices are average per person and already reflect any promotional savings. But I understand how you could miss that and be confused.

Just wanted to compliment you on your clear and concise explanation of BOGO. :cool:

You can send your complaints about deceptive marketing directly to the new guy:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Marketing-executive-leaves-Carnival-for-Royal-Caribbean

Royal Caribbean International said that Jim Berra will become its new chief marketing officer.

Berra has been senior vice president and chief marketing officer at Carnival Cruise Line since 2008.

“We are delighted to have Jim join our team,” Royal Caribbean President Michael Bayley said in a statement. “With so many exciting initiatives on the immediate horizon for our brand, we feel that Jim’s impressive history of creativity and proven results will continue the momentum of innovation the brand has created.”

Here's the math:

Passenger #1: $1409

Passenger #2: $ 704.50 ($1409/2)

TOTAL: $2113.50

AVERAGE Cost/Passenger: $1056.25

I assume the extra $87 ($1143-$1056.25) posted by the OP is the port fees for both passengers (you don't get those 1/2 off).

Exactly. After choosing options, the rate is an average cost pp after the discount has already been calculated. After selecting a stateroom, The TOTAL cost has port fees/taxes included.

Am I the only one that feels the "upgrade for $.... daily" pop up window is totally unnecessary?

To be honest, y'all are just making too much of a "marketing strategy." Yeah... they advertise half off of the current rate. They show "bottom" line after the discount. If you aren't happy with the "discount" because you don't see it as a "discount," then book full fare. Do they raise fares then offer half off? Maybe. But it isn't false advertising. And if you think it is, file a law suit. It certainly isn't "bait and switch." You don't pay for a JS and arrive at the ship and get an inside cabin, that is "bait and switch." Look up the term before you throw it around.

We are all intelligent enough to know that the real reason you choose a cruise line, airline, etc. is amenities and price. If you think RCCL is "screwing" you, sail on Carnival, or Norwegian, or HAL. If you think Hyatt isn't worth the price, stay at Holiday Inn. If you think Delta is too expensive, fly Southwest. But there is nothing odd, unusual, illegal, deceptive, or anything else. They are simply marketing their product and using marketing techniques to have you look at the product. I always look at BOGO pricing. Why? Well sometimes they offer free gratuities, or BOGOHO drink packages. So I price my cruise using my D+, military, regional, senior, discount. I factor OBC, or any other option. If the cost of the cruise after all discounts and offers is less than what I paid, I rebook, if not I don't.

Since cruise prices, like airlines, hotels, etc. change daily, there is no real "BOGO." If an inside cabin cost $500 year round, no change, then they offered a BOGOHO where you got one for $500 and one for $250 then you'd have a real BOGO. But that isn't how it works.

So get grip. Look at a cruise, if you are happy with the price, who cares how they arrive at it? Call it BOGO, call it BOGOHO, or call it full price with $800 OBC. Bottom line is bottom line. That's how we book and it's how we always will. It really is very transparent and easy to understand.

Edited by papaflamingo

RCCL has a great legal department so I doubt this is false advertising. Definitely a marketing gimmick. For the most part most cruiser are paying close to the same amount as they were before the sale. The ones most affected are the C & A members with over 340 cruise points because their150% benefit is now calculated on the inflated price. This causes a big cost increase.

As a frequent cruiser and pinnacle club member I am quite aware of what a particular cabin type on a specific class of ship at a certain time of the year normally costs. Typically I have six or more future cruises booked but as a solo traveler the current pricing offers no value to me. I enjoy cruising and Royal Caribbean is my favorite cruise line. I hope someday to be able to book more cruises with them but at four or five hundred dollars a day for a JS before gratuities, insurance and airfare I am now exploring other options for my vacation dollars.

Edited by Don Pedro

Am I the only one that feels the "upgrade for $.... daily" pop up window is totally unnecessary?

From my standpoint, it's unnecessary, but I understand why they do it. They try to make the cost of an upgrade seem smaller, by breaking it down to a per person / per day cost. But I've already seen the price of the next category cabin and decided against it.

I am sure that, at least occasionally, someone who didn't really want to pay, say an extra $500 for a week, will see "upgrade for only $36 per person per day" and think it doesn't sound so bad, when they put it that way. It probably helps them upsell cabins.

... I hope someday to be able to book more cruises with them but at four or five hundred dollars a day for a JS before gratuities, insurance and airfare I am now exploring other options for my vacation dollars.

Well Pete, for my own selfish reasons, I hope you do find some good prices so we can cruise together again.:)

I don't think it's false advertising in the legal sense, but it certainly is tricky advertising maybe bordering on deceptive.

I even know how it works and I often check prices, get really excited thinking I've found a good deal only to get that "oh no, not that again" feeling.

It is a little disingenuous calling it a "sale" when the prices are often higher than that day before the sale, but it isn't really illegal.

I think that they list the lower prices (average) first because often people just go that far when comparing to other lines and they want to show the lowest price they can early in the process. If they put the price without the half off advertising trick then you would likely find a better price on another line. It's a subtle trick.

Tom

To be honest, y'all are just making too much of a "marketing strategy." Yeah... they advertise half off of the current rate. They show "bottom" line after the discount. If you aren't happy with the "discount" because you don't see it as a "discount," then book full fare. Do they raise fares then offer half off? Maybe. But it isn't false advertising. And if you think it is, file a law suit. It certainly isn't "bait and switch." You don't pay for a JS and arrive at the ship and get an inside cabin, that is "bait and switch." Look up the term before you throw it around.

We are all intelligent enough to know that the real reason you choose a cruise line, airline, etc. is amenities and price. If you think RCCL is "screwing" you, sail on Carnival, or Norwegian, or HAL. If you think Hyatt isn't worth the price, stay at Holiday Inn. If you think Delta is too expensive, fly Southwest. But there is nothing odd, unusual, illegal, deceptive, or anything else. They are simply marketing their product and using marketing techniques to have you look at the product. I always look at BOGO pricing. Why? Well sometimes they offer free gratuities, or BOGOHO drink packages. So I price my cruise using my D+, military, regional, senior, discount. I factor OBC, or any other option. If the cost of the cruise after all discounts and offers is less than what I paid, I rebook, if not I don't.

Since cruise prices, like airlines, hotels, etc. change daily, there is no real "BOGO." If an inside cabin cost $500 year round, no change, then they offered a BOGOHO where you got one for $500 and one for $250 then you'd have a real BOGO. But that isn't how it works.

So get grip. Look at a cruise, if you are happy with the price, who cares how they arrive at it? Call it BOGO, call it BOGOHO, or call it full price with $800 OBC. Bottom line is bottom line. That's how we book and it's how we always will. It really is very transparent and easy to understand.

Come on now, you're making too much sense for this place!

I guess I just don't get the thinking that if something isn't at it's lowest price ever, it's not a "sale", and marketing it as such is deceptive or false or bait and switch.

Last week cases of Diet Coke were buy one get one free at the local Safeway. This week it's buy two get one free. Does that mean it isn't really a sale because the price is higher this week than last week?

Pay what you're willing to pay for a cruise. If RCI doesn't cut it for you for whatever reason, try something else. If you're willing to pay $1500pp for a cabin and the cabin is worth $1500pp to you, why does it matter whether it's listed as full price, buy one get one 50% off, 30% off, or anything else?

From my standpoint, it's unnecessary, but I understand why they do it. They try to make the cost of an upgrade seem smaller, by breaking it down to a per person / per day cost. But I've already seen the price of the next category cabin and decided against it.

I am sure that, at least occasionally, someone who didn't really want to pay, say an extra $500 for a week, will see "upgrade for only $36 per person per day" and think it doesn't sound so bad, when they put it that way. It probably helps them upsell cabins.

It might be more enticing, when booking a junior suite, if the upgrade to grand suite or royal suite didn't show the same photo of a junior suite?? Not really because I won't afford either, just continually surprised how poor the web site is sometimes.

I guess I just don't get the thinking that if something isn't at it's lowest price ever, it's not a "sale", and marketing it as such is deceptive or false or bait and switch.

Last week cases of Diet Coke were buy one get one free at the local Safeway. This week it's buy two get one free. Does that mean it isn't really a sale because the price is higher this week than last week?

Pay what you're willing to pay for a cruise. If RCI doesn't cut it for you for whatever reason, try something else. If you're willing to pay $1500pp for a cabin and the cabin is worth $1500pp to you, why does it matter whether it's listed as full price, buy one get one 50% off, 30% off, or anything else?

If the diet coke was originally priced $10 a case, under the first sale the cost came to $5 a case, that is a sale. In case two you pay $20 for three cases or $6.67 a case, that is a sale. However if the price was manipulated so that after the sale you still ended up paying $10 dollars a case would it really be a sale or just a marketing ploy?

Your premise is that if you don't mind the creative pricing and perceive the value of the coke is $10 a case all is fine. I have no argument with that.

However, solo cruisers, with over 340 cruise points, are entitled to a 150% single supplement pricing and the BOGOHOAX sale does make a huge difference to them as the 150% is calculated on the inflated price. That results in paying around 200% of the original price.

Edited by Don Pedro

If the diet coke was originally priced $10 a case, under the first sale the cost came to $5 a case, that is a sale. In case two you pay $20 for three cases or $6.67 a case, that is a sale. However if the price was manipulated so that after the sale you still ended up paying $10 dollars a case would it really be a sale or just a marketing ploy?

Your premise is that if you don't mind the creative pricing and perceive the value of the coke is $10 a case all is fine. I have no argument with that.

However, solo cruisers, with over 340 cruise points, are entitled to a 150% single supplement pricing and the BOGOHOAX sale does make a huge difference to them as the 150% is calculated on the inflated price. That results in paying around 200% of the original price.

I agree with most of this, however, past prices do not necessarily reflect current or future prices anymore. I would guess that BOGO 1 effectively raised prices going forward

Totally understand, and the solo cruiser deal throws a whole new wrinkle into the picture.

As to the perceived value, make no mistake that I shop around just like most folks. I look into what I believe will be the value and try to find a cruise at a cost per day that I feel is fair. That doesn't mean I don't want to find a cruise for $1200pp rather than $1500pp.

I guess what I come back in my mind to is why do so many people think that cruises are different than everything else which is market-priced?

Airfares go up and down all the time. Say last week a flight was $300 RT and this week it's priced at $350. Then tomorrow I get an email from Alaska Air saying "congrats, because of your status you get a 10% off coupon"...is that necessarily deceptive or fraudulent because my cost is still higher than it was last week? I got a pre-cruise hotel on Hotwire for $90 that the hotel website had a rack rate of $225...if the hotel gives me a 50% off rate are they deceptive because I could get the same room for less than their "sale" rate somewhere else?

I guess you could argue those questions but the fact remains that cruise cabins are priced at the point where each cruise line thinks they can maximize profit. Supply and demand. And if they think they can get $300 more for a balcony than they could last week then more power to them. As much as I'd LOVE to spend 25% less on all my cruises/vacations, that's why they're in business. It isn't to save me money, it's to make their shareholders money.

I agree with most of this, however, past prices do not necessarily reflect current or future prices anymore. I would guess that BOGO 1 effectively raised prices going forward

Yeah, that will be true if they don't go down when the BOGOHOAX goes off. Right now, except for us solo cruisers, the cost of a cabin for two remains pretty much the same as it was before the sale.

With all the new ships being floating it is hard to imagine the prices going up very much. The ships recently brought on and being built by Royal Caribbean increase passenger capacity by well over a million passengers a year and other cruise lines are also adding capacity. Could be a price war in the future.

Totally understand, and the solo cruiser deal throws a whole new wrinkle into the picture.

As to the perceived value, make no mistake that I shop around just like most folks. I look into what I believe will be the value and try to find a cruise at a cost per day that I feel is fair. That doesn't mean I don't want to find a cruise for $1200pp rather than $1500pp.

I guess what I come back in my mind to is why do so many people think that cruises are different than everything else which is market-priced?

Airfares go up and down all the time. Say last week a flight was $300 RT and this week it's priced at $350. Then tomorrow I get an email from Alaska Air saying "congrats, because of your status you get a 10% off coupon"...is that necessarily deceptive or fraudulent because my cost is still higher than it was last week? I got a pre-cruise hotel on Hotwire for $90 that the hotel website had a rack rate of $225...if the hotel gives me a 50% off rate are they deceptive because I could get the same room for less than their "sale" rate somewhere else?

I guess you could argue those questions but the fact remains that cruise cabins are priced at the point where each cruise line thinks they can maximize profit. Supply and demand. And if they think they can get $300 more for a balcony than they could last week then more power to them. As much as I'd LOVE to spend 25% less on all my cruises/vacations, that's why they're in business. It isn't to save me money, it's to make their shareholders money.

You are correct everyone is in business to make money and consumers react to perceived value. I recently priced JR on a Freedom class ship and the BOGOHOAX price was nearly $525 a day before gratuities, insurance and airfare. I typically book a GS for about $350 a day. I am not looking to travel on the cheap. I usually fly first class and stay in suites but there is a point where value ceases to exist and you must look elsewhere.

Yeah, that will be true if they don't go down when the BOGOHOAX goes off. Right now, except for us solo cruisers, the cost of a cabin for two remains pretty much the same as it was before the sale.

With all the new ships being floating it is hard to imagine the prices going up very much. The ships recently brought on and being built by Royal Caribbean increase passenger capacity by well over a million passengers a year and other cruise lines are also adding capacity. Could be a price war in the future.

Pete is it, can you do me a favor and tell me what your 150% price for cat M is for the Sept 13, 2015 Freedom is. Laura cruises solo quite often and she is not quite to the 350 or level. Our price is $1384 with taxes. That is higher than usual, but we booked late. Her usual solo on Freedom is right around $1,000 for an inside solo. She hits 350 in 3 more voyages.

Thanks, john