Cruising with inlaws from England

TexBrit1969

We are wanting to plan a surprise group cruise when my inlaws come to visit us from England in the Spring. What kind of hoops am I going to need to jump thru for them to go on this trip? They will of course have their passports, but I'm wondering if anyone else here has had experience cruising with non US Citizens?

When my husband and I cruised on the Carnival Conquest several years ago, he was not, at that time (he now is!) A US Citizen. He had his British Passport and his permanent resident status that allowed him to be here, and there were no issues whatsover. However, his parents will only have their British Passports, so I'm worried if we will even be able to make this happen.

What a lovely idea for them if they are cruisers!

The ID and legal requirements are dependent on the embarkation/debarkation points and the ports of call. It can get complicated.

Whilst I don't believe they need a visa to visit the USA under the visa waiver program, there are several requirements to enjoy that privilege. There are electronic requirements and a fee. See http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/vwp3.html.

Contact the cruise line and get the requirements and information in writing from them for your particular cruise.

Of course they will have the ESTA to allow for entry into the US. Couple of other things to check:

Is their ESTA good for multiple entries to the US? (I have no clue).

Will there be any visa requirements for them to enter the countries/islands on the cruise? Do not assume anything. Check with primary sources.

You will need their passport numbers to sign them up for the cruise - that might make it difficult for total surprise, plus their packing would be different knowing about a cruise. Good luck with the planning, sounds like a wonderful time with family.

First off, as kind and generous as your idea, be absolutely sure your DH's parents have any interest in cruising. It is not for everyone.

Be sure there are not other things they would rather do and see while in U.S.

Are they able to cross the pond often or is this perhaps a rare opportunity for them to see something of U.S. if they want to?

Whatever itinerary you choose, be sure they don't need Visa to enter. Be certain about shot records You don't say where you would board or to where you would sail Good luck. Hope it works out happily for you all.

Of course they will have the ESTA to allow for entry into the US. Couple of other things to check:

Is their ESTA good for multiple entries to the US? (I have no clue).

Will there be any visa requirements for them to enter the countries/islands on the cruise? Do not assume anything. Check with primary sources.

You will need their passport numbers to sign them up for the cruise - that might make it difficult for total surprise, plus their packing would be different knowing about a cruise. Good luck with the planning, sounds like a wonderful time with family.

I have never needed a passport when booking my cruises. I need it when pre-registering on line after final payment.

Thank you for the responses. It truly is a huge help. I'm sorry I did not mention that we are cruising out of Galveston most likely to the Western Carribean.

My inlaws come to see us about once a year or so. They are in their 70s and SUPER active - they run circles around me and my husband! Last year, we surprised them with a trip to Vegas, which was on their "Bucket List" and we couldn't keep up with them. They have expressed an interest in going on a cruise, and would be the life of the party, for sure. I just wish we could bottle whatever it is that keeps them so young at heart! ;)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

TexBrit1969, several years ago our brother in law from Scotland along with his wife (USA Born but also a Citizen of Scotland) joined us for a cruise out of the USA and his Passport sufficed all requirements. I don't see any issues for you.

When you finalize the cruise just double check with the cruise line to verify that the passport is all that is required but I certainly expect this to be the case.

That is so very nice of you to want to surprise your in laws.

Wishing you a wonderful time.

Keith

As a Brit coming to the US I need an ESTA which is easily arranged on the internet and a passport that has six months validity from the return date. Also some insurance in case we get sick (your health services are horrendously expensive!)

As a Brit booking onto a Royal Caribbean cruise I need a valid passport. The vaccinations suggested are dependent on where I will be visiting. Cruising in Europe I don't specifically need (although I choose to get) health insurance as we are covered by the ESTA scheme which allows emergency care.

I am from the United Kingdom and have cruised round trip out of the USA in the past. Firstly the ESTA requirement should have already been sorted out by the incoming travellers as they will have successfully reached the USA when you receive them. There is however a 90 day limit on the trip which they need to keep within. Normally on the ESTA application you give a US address where you are staying. I do not see this as an issue insofar as some travellers tour in a random manner and do not know each address en route. Do the travellers possess full British Passports with right of abode in the UK? i.e. they have not just assumed British Nationality after being born in a previous commonwealth country. All people permanently resident in the UK have the full British Citizenship where previous generations were born in the United Kingdom and lived there throughout their lives. Full British Passport holders usually require no additional documentation when travelling unless you go somewhere very unusual but you need to check each port. Same with vaccination shots not normally required and if you are cruising even some places that require shots exclude cruisers as they do not ingress into swampy areas.

Do you know their actual names, sounds ridiculous but some people are known by slightly different names socially to their ones recorded on official documents such as passports. The cruise line needs to have the correct names when you book otherwise a name change will be needed which will likely cost an administration fee and take a bit of time. The passport number and validity dates are needed on most cruise line websites before passengers travel. Assuming when they arrive you are not embarking the following day there will be time for you to get the visitors to add the appropriate information to the cruise line website in time to print out the boarding documents.

Regards John

Thank you to everyone for your responses. It has really put my mind at ease. They are British Citizens, born and lived there all their lives. We have their Passport Info, correct legal names, date of birth and all that sort of thing because we help them book their flights when they come to visit us and they take care of the ESTA themselves. Last visit, they stayed right at the 90 day mark but this time I think it will be 60ish days or so. It looks like we will have everything in order and it was great to hear from those of you who are also Citizens of the UK sharing your personal experiences. Thank you all again!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I think all the info you need is already listed above, but I find this Wikipedia page is a really useful first place to look - summarizes whether any kind of visa is required, conditions (like passport must be valid for X days, or visit must be under Y days) etc. for the whole dang world.

Bear in mind that since it's on Wiki it can be altered by a vast number of people so there's always a grain of salt required - but it's not exactly a hot-button political topic so it's safe to assume it will generally be correct, and you can click on the links by every country to go right to the relevant government and/or IATA info page for total reassurance.

Basically any travel around the Americas is Visa-free for full UK citizens, with the exception of Cuba and Suriname (Argentina might change the rules if they continue escalating Falklands/Malvinas issues, but I can't imagine many cruises go Galveston-Argentina or Falklands so no impact on this trip...)

When my Aussie inlaws came to the US, we took them on an Alaska cruise. It was the absolute highlight of their trip! They are small town folks and had never been on a cruise or even seen snow and we had thought that we would have to babysit them quite a bit on the ship, but as it turned out, they LOVED being on the ship and went off and did their own thing, so we'd only see them at dinner. As it turned out they LOVED the buffet on the ship - so much so I kind of felt bad that our evening meet up was in the MDR! I loaned my MIL a couple of cocktail dresses and evening gowns as she doesn't own any and she loved that and made a special point of getting her portrait made onboard the ship and also of us all doing family portraits. They also selected and arranged their own excursions. We selected a Celebrity cruise and it was the best thing we could have done for them. I expect it will be similar with your inlaws! Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by SuiteTraveler