St.Peterburg Tours

Gav92

Hi All,

My mom & I took a last min notion to do NCL Star Baltic cruise and we choose it partly due to the St.Petersburg stop. We were a little by disappointed to learn you have to get a tour in order to leave the ship (visa isn't an option, we fly out in Friday week). However our hopes of avoiding expensive crowded tours (we are a pretty savvy / independent type of tourist) was crushed when it seemed we had to NCL cruises (even according to the helpline), but I did find likes of alla tours and others have more specific type tours with more time in sites and in less in cheesy souvineer shops just like we want but I rang NCL quoting the various blogs and official advice from the private operators that it is not required but they kinda slide away from the topic. I then contacted my local consulate and got an email from there that all of you were right that all you need is a registered company to pick up you up and drop you back and basically mind you as NCL would do. However I read NCL will scare people on board that they won't get though customs or won't get back on or delay non NCL tour clients leaving. After my consulate said your right I believe you all now (people who swore by going private) but afraid now of facing intimidation on part of NCL. I always seen something in SPB section of this site that tour op have been using fake profiles to boost their image which makes hard to know who's really good. I was actually glad to see some not so great reviews of Alla Tours (though very few). Anyway the non NCL tours suite us better as it seems people more interested in the travel and not been drag around or going with the flow would do it outside the cruise company & it's cheaper yet I feel like I'm taking a bit of a risk to book non NCL. Anyway so point of my long message: what risks may we face and what risks are just scare monglering? Like if we leave outside the NCL cruise will there be a risk we have trouble getting back on or anything like that?

Oh on a lighter note, in general what tour allows us to explore the real shopping type area like where the local Peters & Petras shop (like shopping time) but not the kinda shopping time that's akin to visiting the Blarny woollen mills here in Ireland. Thanks, sorry If this first post isn't too great.

There are a number of reputable tour companies in St. Petersberg. They will get a group visa and send you the info on it. You would need to print the info to show to Russian officials as you leave the ship. You do not specify the date of your cruise but say it is "last minute". I don't know the lead time for getting the group visa.

Assuming you go with a private company, the dangers are pretty much the same as with tours in other ports. The biggest worry is always getting to the ship in time for sailing. These companies are dependent on cruise passengers, so their reputation is critical.

We used Alla in August 2007, and were highly satisfied. I could also recommend SPB tours as our Alla guide, Viktoria, has since opened that company. and she was excellent.

I would look in your roll call and see if anyone has booked a private tour and is looking for others to join. I posted back then in our roll call, and we ended up with 10 of us on a private tour that we picked out and also personalized.

All the companies know that they have to get you back in time. I would not worry about that.

Edited by ontheweb
corrected date

Please go read my post on trip advisor about SPB tours, we took the 2 day highlights with Amber room and it was wonderful. You will have no problems with the visa as SPB will get it for you and you will be on a small bus (ours had 12 people) which will be more comfortable than waiting for a gaggle of people from the ship tour. The price was very reasonable as compared to the ships. Don't hesitate this was the highlight of our trip on the Silhouette in June. Linda E

Hi All,

My mom & I took a last min notion to do NCL Star Baltic cruise and we choose it partly due to the St.Petersburg stop. We were a little by disappointed to learn you have to get a tour in order to leave the ship (visa isn't an option, we fly out in Friday week). However our hopes of avoiding expensive crowded tours (we are a pretty savvy / independent type of tourist) was crushed when it seemed we had to NCL cruises (even according to the helpline), but I did find likes of alla tours and others have more specific type tours with more time in sites and in less in cheesy souvineer shops just like we want but I rang NCL quoting the various blogs and official advice from the private operators that it is not required but they kinda slide away from the topic. I then contacted my local consulate and got an email from there that all of you were right that all you need is a registered company to pick up you up and drop you back and basically mind you as NCL would do. However I read NCL will scare people on board that they won't get though customs or won't get back on or delay non NCL tour clients leaving. After my consulate said your right I believe you all now (people who swore by going private) but afraid now of facing intimidation on part of NCL. I always seen something in SPB section of this site that tour op have been using fake profiles to boost their image which makes hard to know who's really good. I was actually glad to see some not so great reviews of Alla Tours (though very few). Anyway the non NCL tours suite us better as it seems people more interested in the travel and not been drag around or going with the flow would do it outside the cruise company & it's cheaper yet I feel like I'm taking a bit of a risk to book non NCL. Anyway so point of my long message: what risks may we face and what risks are just scare monglering? Like if we leave outside the NCL cruise will there be a risk we have trouble getting back on or anything like that?

Oh on a lighter note, in general what tour allows us to explore the real shopping type area like where the local Peters & Petras shop (like shopping time) but not the kinda shopping time that's akin to visiting the Blarny woollen mills here in Ireland. Thanks, sorry If this first post isn't too great.

We went with SPB Tours last year. Our only shopping stop was at a touristy shop for about 20 minutes, more of a bathroom break. I don’t remember seeing any shopping tours as such although we weren’t looking for them. More interested in the history and museums. You could always arrange a private tour and specify that you would like to go shopping although you’ll need to do it quickly if you depart soon.

We got similar treatment from Seabourn but not as persistent. They would rather have you book direct with them and their sales seem to use a bit of intimidation for St. Pete. although can’t fault them for trying to increase their revenue.

When we were researching tours there was a post on CC that indicated the tour operator dropped them someplace and picked them up later. We were told the tour operator needed to be in the same general area although this post seemed to indicate otherwise. Try searching the Northern Europe & Baltics board.

You are pushing it to even get on a private group if you leave next week

I would make your choice ASAP & get intouch with the guide they need to file your passport information with the authorities there so your name is on the group visa

We used Alla tours last year and they were wonderful. As has been stated, you do not need a VISA to get off the ship if you are booked with a private tour company. The company will send you an e-mail with ticket info and you print this off and show it to the Russian immigration ladies. NCL may try to tell you that you can't get off the ship until all of the people booked on NCL excursions have disembarked, but this is also not true. St. Petersburg is not a tender port and I don't think they can stop you from getting off whenever you want to.

We used our roll call, as well as the Alla tour web page. I was the original person to book but we ended up with a group of 10. It was a perfect size.

Some of the well know tour companies are: SPB Tours, Alla Tours, DenRus, Red October. I know there are more but these come to mind quickly. Contact each of them via their web pages to see what your options are. You should be able to find one that has already been booked for your cruise and you can join.

Once you clear immigration in SPB, you are in the cruise terminal. There are quite a few stalls / shops. The tour guides meet you outside and get the entire group together. It was very easy & I'm glad that we did this.

Hi, sorry for late reply but thanks to everyone for replying, didn't expect such a large reply so quick.

The dates of departure from Denmark would be friday week (sorry I should of been clearer) would be 5&6th Aug 2015 when we would be in SPB. I already got in contact with a rep from Alla & they gave me a very clear idea of the itinerary.

I think we will do the comfort tour because its a bit more relaxed and it seems quality over quantity type of tour.

The shopping thing was just more so we have some air and not be stuck in museums and just take the place in but there seems to be few places besides palaces and art galleries which I love but at the same time I wanted to feel like I'm walking around modern day Russia to some degree and not in a Kira Knightly movie. I wanted to get a feel for the city.

I think time permitting we get 2 hours in main shopping area anyway and I am almost sure we book this once we get a reply to see is there room for us.

The one dodgy thing is they do seem take non-rouble cash which I thought was a no-do in Russia but its Russia & people do what they need to do.

I got a better grasp of the visa thing now, but is the way the tour companies need to put you on a group-visa, the same as cruise liners tours been visa-free (assuming paper work is done as soon as you book the cruise).

Sorry for asking so many questions but its my first cruise and my mothers first one that has been non-EU, thats why the visa thing scarred me. I was drawn by the chance to peak at SPB with out committing to a full trip there but downside of that is you're practically have a minder.

Anyway really thanks to everyone for replying, I know I said that but I am really amazed at the speediness of the reply :P

Edited by Gav92

Hi, sorry for late reply but thanks to everyone for replying, didn't expect such a large reply so quick.

The dates of departure from Denmark would be friday week (sorry I should of been clearer) would be 5&6th Aug 2015 when we would be in SPB. I already got in contact with a rep from Alla & they gave me a very clear idea of the itinerary.

I think we will do the comfort tour because its a bit more relaxed and it seems quality over quantity type of tour.

The shopping thing was just more so we have some air and not be stuck in museums and just take the place in but there seems to be few places besides palaces and art galleries which I love but at the same time I wanted to feel like I'm walking around modern day Russia to some degree and not in a Kira Knightly movie. I wanted to get a feel for the city.

I think time permitting we get 2 hours in main shopping area anyway and I am almost sure we book this once we get a reply to see is there room for us.

The one dodgy thing is they do seem take non-rouble cash which I thought was a no-do in Russia but its Russia & people do what they need to do.

I got a better grasp of the visa thing now, but is the way the tour companies need to put you on a group-visa, the same as cruise liners tours been visa-free (assuming paper work is done as soon as you book the cruise).

Sorry for asking so many questions but its my first cruise and my mothers first one that has been non-EU, thats why the visa thing scarred me. I was drawn by the chance to peak at SPB with out committing to a full trip there but downside of that is you're practically have a minder.

Anyway really thanks to everyone for replying, I know I said that but I am really amazed at the speediness of the reply :P

Congratulations for being enrolled in an Alla Comfort tour. That is the one we took in 2007 and thoroughly enjoyed. You do know I hope that Alla allows you to personalize your tour. One member of our group wanted a synagogue included. When no one objected, that was added to our tour. Since my wife is an art teacher, we wanted some extra time in the Hermitage; that adjustment was also made. When the tour started, our guide asked if there was anything not included that we might want to see. I replied that I had read that the subways were very interesting. She took us to a subway station and we rode for a couple of stops. She had the driver meet us after the subway ride.

One hint I would like to pass along is to try to get together with the others from your group so you can all walk down to immigration together and then to your tour van.

There are many interesting ports on a Baltic cruise, not just St. Petersburg. Do your research! The port of call boards on this site are a good resource. I would also recommend the Rick Steves travel book for the Baltic region. I know we walked around Talinn, Estonia with that book doing his walking tour. (And we were not the only ones doing that.)

taking US$$ is not dodgy - we have been to St Petersburg twice (both times we used Alla Tours) and have given her US$ both times. We also used US$ in shops that we visited. The only place where we found you needed rubles was small stands (such as a food stall that sells bottled water, etc.).

Marianne