Seattle to Vancouver

cruiselvr1

Cruising from Seattle to Vancouver, and then taking the same ship to LA. If you have the same stateroom, can you leave your luggage there? I know you have to go through Canadian customs.

They will tell you on the ship how it works, but I have done B2B and left the luggage. This was a trip to Mexico, so I'm not sure how the Canadian customs would work. I imagine someone who has done this trip will be along to give you better information.

Seattle to Vancouver then Vancouver to Los Angeles on the same ship is a passenger services act violation. Do you maybe have a Third cruise either at the beginning or end that might change this?

Just curious what does this mean?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Just curious what does this mean?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Basically, the Passenger Vessel Services act (PVAS) says you cannot travel between 2 American ports on a foreign flag vessel without stopping at a distant foreign port.

Vancouver is not a distant foreign port, so it is a violation. I do not believe Princess will allow you to book such a trip.

Distant foreign ports are really distant. In the Caribbean region, only the ABC islands qualify. South America does too.

That is why you'll see the Panama Canal cruises and the New York to FLA cruises go to Aruba.

If you make a round trip back to the same port, you only have to touch at a foreign port, which is why Ensenada and Victoria, Canada are stops.

Simply put, it is illegal for Princess to allow you to embark at one US port and ultimately disembark at another unless the ship calls at a distant foreign port, which Vancouver certainly doesn't qualify as. It doesn't matter that they are two separate bookings with a turnaround day in the middle. Princess would not have allowed booking both voyages at the same time; if the OP managed to do so by either booking each leg on different dates, or utilizing a travel agent that is either totally unscrupulous or colossally ignorant of the law, know that Princess will arbitrarily cancel one of the two sailings without consulting you for your preference.

Edited by fishywood

Basically, the Passenger Vessel Services act (PVAS) says you cannot travel between 2 American ports on a foreign flag vessel without stopping at a distant foreign port.

Vancouver is not a distant foreign port, so it is a violation. I do not believe Princess will allow you to book such a trip.

Distant foreign ports are really distant. In the Caribbean region, only the ABC islands qualify. South America does too.

That is why you'll see the Panama Canal cruises and the New York to FLA cruises go to Aruba.

If you make a round trip back to the same port, you only have to touch at a foreign port, which is why Ensenada and Victoria, Canada are stops.

I thought Vancouver would cover the act. I guess I was wrong. I wonder how many miles it needs to be, since endsenada isn't that far from the U.S. boarder.

Cruising from Seattle to Vancouver, and then taking the same ship to LA. If you have the same stateroom, can you leave your luggage there? I know you have to go through Canadian customs.

Could you take the Seattle cruise to Vancouver, take your bags off the ship, and go through boarding process again?

I thought Vancouver would cover the act. I guess I was wrong. I wonder how many miles it needs to be, since endsenada isn't that far from the U.S. boarder.

Its not a matter of distance. "Distant" foreign ports as defined by the PVSA cannot be in North America, Central America, the Caribbean, or Bermuda, with the exception of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). Ensenada does not count as a distant foreign port.

Could you take the Seattle cruise to Vancouver, take your bags off the ship, and go through boarding process again?

No. The line will not allow you to book the two cruises together. Even though they are two separate cruises, CBP looks at anything booked consecutively as one voyage.

It has nothing to do with "miles" from the US. Certain ports are designated by law as distant ports to be used with as ports for cruises starting in one US city and ending in another. Ensenada is only used as a foreign port when taking a cruise that starts and ends in the same US city and it is not considered a distant port.

I agree that Princess will "catch" your cruises and cancel one, even if you get off the ship and reboard the same day.

I went down this same route a couple of years ago trying to arrange this same trip and was told no, and rather rudely told no.

What we ended up doing was taking the overnight from Seattle to Vancouver on one ship and then spending two nights in Vancouver (lovely, by the way) and took another ship down to LA. We talk about this being one of our best mini-vacations.

This year we are taking the train to Vancouver and then sailing to LA. No problems there.

I went down this same route a couple of years ago trying to arrange this same trip and was told no, and rather rudely told no.

What we ended up doing was taking the overnight from Seattle to Vancouver on one ship and then spending two nights in Vancouver (lovely, by the way) and took another ship down to LA. We talk about this being one of our best mini-vacations.

This year we are taking the train to Vancouver and then sailing to LA. No problems there.

i think we will just fly into Seattle, and spend night there and take the ferry to Vancouver. Again thanks for all the help. I knew I would get my question answered on CC.

You must either change ships or be off the ship for 24 hours before reboarding.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

i think we will just fly into Seattle, and spend night there and take the ferry to Vancouver. Again thanks for all the help. I knew I would get my question answered on CC.

Here is some more help....I don't know of a ferry from Seattle to Vancouver.....but, there might be something other than bus, train or airplane. There is Seattle to Victoria but then you have to get to Vancouver which isn't too difficult.

PVSA has two different aspects to it:

A "foreign" (non US ship staffed by American citizens) cruise starting and ending in the SAME US city only has to visit a NEAR FOREIGN PORT such as Vancouver, Victoria, Ensenada etc.

A "foreign" (non US ship staffed by American citizens) cruise starting and ending in the TWO DIFFERENT US city's has to visit a DISTANT FOREIGN PORT such as Aruba or Cartagena on the LA to Florida Panama Canal cruises.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Here is some more help....I don't know of a ferry from Seattle to Vancouver.....but, there might be something other than bus, train or airplane. There is Seattle to Victoria but then you have to get to Vancouver which isn't too difficult.

A "foreign" (non US ship staffed by American citizens) cruise starting and ending in the SAME US city only has to visit a NEAR FOREIGN PORT such as Vancouver, Victoria, Ensenada etc.

A "foreign" (non US ship staffed by American citizens) cruise starting and ending in the TWO DIFFERENT US city's has to visit a DISTANT FOREIGN PORT such as Aruba or Cartagena on the LA to Florida Panama Canal cruises.

Terry

Not sure what you mean by "non US ship staffed by American citizens" PVSA doesn't say whether the crew is US or not, it is the flag of the ship.

Terry

That only works in Hawaii. :eek:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

There is no direct ferry service between Seattle and Vancouver. That's the bad news. The good news is here is a link for ways you can get from Seattle to Vancouver. ;)

http://gocanada.about.com/od/vancouver/qt/seattle_to_vancouver.htm

Tom

We took a bus from SEATAC to Vancouver. it lets one off right at the port. (And other places.) You do get off the bus with your luggage at the border but it is very very easy. (Takes about 20 minutes.)

Very easy. The train sometimes is very late.

I think you may want to go back to researching this vacation from scratch - no ferry Seattle-Vancouver. There are ferries going to Victoria, and different ferries Victoria-Vancouver, but that's a lot of time and cash. Almost certainly cheaper to just fly to Vancouver in the first place! Folks who get to Vancouver via Seattle and save money over flying in travel by bus, train or rental car between the cities.

Not sure what you mean by "non US ship staffed by American citizens" PVSA doesn't say whether the crew is US or not, it is the flag of the ship.

Sorry, meant non American (flagged) ship staffed by NON American citizens to differentiate from American ships for those totally unaware of the PVSA.

Terry

Sorry, meant non American (flagged) ship staffed by NON American citizens to differentiate from American ships for those totally unaware of the PVSA.

Terry

Its okay, my fingers don't always do what my coconut wants them to do either. :o

Terry

I believe that the ship's staff/crew country of origin isn't a factor, only that the ship is foreign-flagged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf

Edited by ar1950