What is Princess thinking, re prices

Shogun

If they can fill cabins at those prices, they don't care...

Bearing in mind, I don't know Princess' algorithm but the following is entire reasonable.

For Princess, average spend of a UK cruiser on board is $500 per 7 days (totally made up number). Average spend for a US new cruiser is $2000 per 7 day cruise (again, made up to illustrate the point).

The pricing software is going to reflect that, raising the price for UK cruisers, because they are looking at per berth revenues.

That's only one possible scenario, there are dozen's of others if not hundreds, but it is entirely feasible the revenue model indicates not supporting a particular region..

Hi Loonbeam

My point is Princess appears to be chasing away both new and old cruisers with its current model. RCI is cheaper and has a far better image here than Princess,

Yours Shogun

The price of the cruise without airfare is still attractive. Obviously, that limits one on the available cruises. However, I would not have taken as many cruises as I have living within driving distance of a port. For a cruise requiring a flight, I'm a little more picky about price. That said, I have spent less on cruises than on land vacations requiring hotels and taxis and restaurants.

Wow we never got that sort of price. We always book superior balconies or mini-suites because we like the peace away from the crowds on sea days. We also book early to get exactly the room that we want. If we get below £120 per day we are happy. If we could get £50 per day we would never be home, we usually manage 3 or 4 cruises a year at the moment.

Whenever we cruise, my "job"(DH's "orders") is to get our cruise price to about $100/day, whether it's just getting a great price, or using OBC, shareholder benefits, prepaid gratuities, etc. It's getting harder and harder to do so, but actually quite fun making the effort!

I booked my 12 night balcony cabin cruise around the British Isles back in May for £799 each. The price hasn't been near this since. I think I got a good deal, particularly since it is in school hols + $150 on board credit.

Hi Loonbeam

My point is Princess appears to be chasing away both new and old cruisers with its current model. RCI is cheaper and has a far better image here than Princess,

Yours Shogun

I agree, they are making the Princess cruising experience unattractive with the pricing.

Does not matter how many they chase away there are plenty more to take their place.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We were told by the Princess representative that we couldn't book for $1599 and get the promotion - even though the promotion was advertised with the $1599 price. That is the part that she said she could not see on her screen ( the promotion with the lower price). I felt that if it were advertised together, it should be available together, but she said it wasn't. A little deceptive advertising on their part.

I think the advertising was OK. It was the Princess rep who had wrong information.

I would suggest one of the following:

a) Book online and make a screen capture of the offer with that price

b) Call back and hope the rep you get is more knowledgeable

c) Use a travel agent

I think the advertising was OK. It was the Princess rep who had wrong information.

I would suggest one of the following:

a) Book online and make a screen capture of the offer with that price

b) Call back and hope the rep you get is more knowledgeable

c) Use a travel agent

If it were only that simple.

(1) If I made a screen capture, who would I show it to?

(2) I called three times. Spoke to three phone representatives and two supervisors. At that point, I had enough of their saying, I can't see it on my screen, or we can't book it for a repeat cruiser's signed in price with the promotion included. It doesn't work that way. (Well, it has in the past!)

(3) We have no local travel agency - small city.

Thanks for your input though. We just gave up on going with Princess for that trip. My DH has found one on Celebrity Cruises. It is a lot cheaper that the $1599. So, we will probably book that one.

If it were only that simple.

(1) If I made a screen capture, who would I show it to?

(2) I called three times. Spoke to three phone representatives and two supervisors. At that point, I had enough of their saying, I can't see it on my screen, or we can't book it for a repeat cruiser's signed in price with the promotion included. It doesn't work that way. (Well, it has in the past!)

(3) We have no local travel agency - small city.

Thanks for your input though. We just gave up on going with Princess for that trip. My DH has found one on Celebrity Cruises. It is a lot cheaper that the $1599. So, we will probably book that one.

You don't need a TA locally...there are a zillion of them online! You will get a better deal from a TA rather than booking directly...at least most of the times.

I booked a Celebrity cruise for our 25th anniversary. I really wanted to book a Princess cruise since we sailed on the old Crown Princess for our honeymoon. When I was pricing out similar itineraries it came down to a Royal or Regal obstructed balcony for the same price of a Concierge Class balcony on Celebrity. Plus, Celebrity added paid gratuity, $300 OBC and the classic beverage package. I always find that Princess itineraries start out high when they are released even with the reduced past passenger and or launch price. 6 to 8 months out the price usually drops to a realistic price. And yes I know that there are TA's who discount but even a 10% discount is more than the price a few months out.

And yes I know that there are TA's who discount but even a 10% discount is more than the price a few months out.

If the price is lowered by Princess and is not restricted to new bookings, your TA can refare your booking to start with the lower Princess price and discount from there.

Hi All

The best deal we got with Princess was a few years ago 14 day Caribbean including flights from England was £454.50 each

Really? I honestly cannot believe that you managed to fly to the U.S. and have a 14 day cruise for £454.50 each. We fly to the U.S. regularly and haven't been able to get flights for that sort of price for years.

Hi

Flights to US have been good last year we went via Iceland this year we have a package of flights 4 of them booked through Princess total just over £600 flying BA could have got cheaper but did not want hassle with 're checking luggage in London yours Shogun

Hi Flo71

Not a bad price higher than last year, best deal l have seen is Med for a week under £500 my own cruise is almost up 30% since l booked

Need to look header, second cruise round the med this year, both times paid £355, and in May even less

Hi Flo71

Not a bad price higher than last year, best deal l have seen is Med for a week under £500 my own cruise is almost up 30% since l booked

I struggle to find any decent prices that are fully within the school holidays, Norway usually seems to be the cheapest. And most definitely not cheap to sil from Southampton in school holidays which is what we prefer. We did get a very good deal with the Celebrity Infinity to Norway 2 years ago when booking with a US TA.

I would love to try one of the new big RCI ships from Southampton Anthem/Indy but in the summer holidays they are out of our price range. Considering the Harmony next year with the free flights to Barcelona but it's only a week.

If anyone does have tips for summer holiday cruises on the cheap that are completely within the UK school hols I'd love to share.

Wow. Those prices are quite high. I don't think that many first time U.S. cruisers would consider something other than the Caribbean though. Prices look reasonable for cruises leaving in the next few weeks.

I have sailed on several cruises and have yet to cruise the Caribbean. Most of the cruisers I have met cruise to Mexico, Alaska, and also on the California Coastals.

I went on my first cruise because it was affordable. If the price was set high I would never have booked it not knowing if we would like it. As you can tell by my signature, I loved it ... Next up, the Caribbean!

If the price is lowered by Princess and is not restricted to new bookings, your TA can refare your booking to start with the lower Princess price and discount from there.

I know I have done that in the past. As a matter of fact I had my Celebrity booking re-fared and saved $200. The point is there is just so much that I can afford to spend. I can't book a cruise hoping that the price will drop to the price I'm willing to pay. Granted there are itineraries that need to be booked at launch but the itineraries that I'm interested in are a dime a dozen between all of the cruise lines. It's pointless to book something that you are not sure you will be able to afford unless there is a price drop. By doing so you help fill the ship and guaranty that the price won't drop.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I have sailed on several cruises and have yet to cruise the Caribbean. Most of the cruisers I have met cruise to Mexico, Alaska, and also on the California Coastals...

I think that is true for many of us here on the West Coast as we don't have to fly to sail to those locations. We used to think nothing of flying to ports, but as airfares have climbed, the quality of service has declined and schedules have been cutback, we are no longer willing to.

I think that is true for many of us here on the West Coast as we don't have to fly to sail to those locations. We used to think nothing of flying to ports, but as airfares have climbed, the quality of service has declined and schedules have been cutback, we are no longer willing to.

Same situation for us Floridians. Obviously, we had to fly to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise but other than upcoming Mediterranean, we stick close to home as we have five ports within a four-five hour drive tops! We have flown to the Caribbean on occasion to charter in the BVI which is so easy to do. Just glad to be close enough to a port but sure could use a change. Looking for a Thanksgiving cruise but tired of the same old choices. Time to move!:D

Same situation for us Floridians. Obviously, we had to fly to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise but other than upcoming Mediterranean, we stick close to home as we have five ports within a four-five hour drive tops! We have flown to the Caribbean on occasion to charter in the BVI which is so easy to do. Just glad to be close enough to a port but sure could use a change. Looking for a Thanksgiving cruise but tired of the same old choices. Time to move!:D

LOL! Don't move!

It's funny, whenever we think of going to some "tropical paradise", we just shrug and say we LIVE in Paradise!! Why go anywhere? LOL! :D