Stain Removal

DH left a red 2-part ticket in a light aqua llbean, tropicwear shirt. I didn't see the remaining stain until the shirt had gone through the washer and dryer.

So I am asking you experts what might get out this type of stain. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

Thanks for the responses. Disappointed no one has a magic solution. :)

I think I will try the dry cleaners. It can't hurt. The shirt is very light weight and has an spf protection. DH is vulnerable to skin cancer and these long sleeve shirts help to protect him. He wears them all summer long and when we are cruising.

The shirts are expensive and I would really like to figure out a way to save this one. He can still wear it around the house and when he works in the yard.

Thank you again.

Try saturating the stain with hair spray. I have used hair spray to remove ballpoint ink and felt markers marks. IMHO it is worth a try.

I have a number of vintage silk scarves and have had good to excellent success removing stains from them (and there is a possibility some of the stains were 50 or 60 years old) with Dawn original blue. Dampen the spot, add lots of Dawn and scrub the stained fabric onto itself for a while. Again, worth a try imho.

Try the dry cleaners but once when I had a VERY bad stain, oil based printing ink that I worked on myself. the dry cleaner told me to never mess with a stain but bring it to them first.

OP, is it possible to dye the shirt to mask the stain?,

Try the dry cleaners but once when I had a VERY bad stain, oil based printing ink that I worked on myself. the dry cleaner told me to never mess with a stain but bring it to them first.

OP, is it possible to dye the shirt to mask the stain?,

The dry cleaning process might have ruined the dress.

I spilt White Out on, of course, my favorite dress. The dry cleaner was able to get the stains out but the formally comfortable dress felt like it was lined with the itchy part of Velcro.

The dry cleaning process might have ruined the dress.

I spilt White Out on, of course, my favorite dress. The dry cleaner was able to get the stains out but the formally comfortable dress felt like it was lined with the itchy part of Velcro.

What dry cleaning process and what dress.:confused:

This is a VERY old fashioned way of removing stains. I have done this for years, and then when I was touring a house in England that was from the 1700's, I saw the exact same stain removal "recipe" there!! What a shock.

This has always worked for me on just about any fabric, and it's actually a good thing that it's already been washed and dried. The fabric colors most likely won't run.

Spray the stain with any stain removal product you like. I swear by OxyClean, but dish soap works well, too.

Work the soap/stain removal product into the stain with a toothbrush; scrub it gently, but thoroughly, on BOTH sides of the fabric.

Take a cup of water and put it in the microwave, bringing it just to the boiling point.

Stretch the stained fabric TIGHTLY across the opening of a plastic cup (I will sometimes use this for scrubbing the stain, as mentioned above). Slowly pour the near-boiling water through the stained fabric. Pour the whole cup.

Retreat the stain with the product, and wash normally.

Edited by pcur

This is a VERY old fashioned way of removing stains. I have done this for years, and then when I was touring a house in England that was from the 1700's, I saw the exact same stain removal "recipe" there!! What a shock.

This has always worked for me on just about any fabric, and it's actually a good thing that it's already been washed and dried. The fabric colors most likely won't run.

Spray the stain with any stain removal product you like. I swear by OxyClean, but dish soap works well, too.

Work the soap/stain removal product into the stain with a toothbrush; scrub it gently, but thoroughly, on BOTH sides of the fabric.

Take a cup of water and put it in the microwave, bringing it just to the boiling point.

Stretch the stained fabric TIGHTLY across the opening of a plastic cup (I will sometimes use this for scrubbing the stain, as mentioned above). Slowly pour the near-boiling water through the stained fabric. Pour the whole cup.

Thanks. The dry cleaner said they couldn't do anything. She said those red ticket stains are very difficult or impossible to get out. So, I think I will try your suggestion. It really can't hurt.

Thanks. The dry cleaner said they couldn't do anything. She said those red ticket stains are very difficult or impossible to get out. So, I think I will try your suggestion. It really can't hurt.

If you see any of the stain washing out, then do it again. It's the same as leaving in on for 10 minutes. I have had to do tee shirts of my husband's multiple times to get salad dressing out of the cotton fabric. Sometimes, it will come back (kind of like a carpet stain that you walk on and it gets dirty again), so I'll do my stain removal thing again after the next wash if it's still showing.

What dry cleaning process and what dress.:confused:

Since it was back in the 80's I had to call the White Out people. They said it was to be treated as a paint stain. The spots came out but the previously comfortable dress felt like the ends of tulle. Since I was a poor college student the dress was probably faux polyester.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks for the responses. Disappointed no one has a magic solution. :)

I think I will try the dry cleaners. It can't hurt. The shirt is very light weight and has an spf protection. DH is vulnerable to skin cancer and these long sleeve shirts help to protect him. He wears them all summer long and when we are cruising.

The shirts are expensive and I would really like to figure out a way to save this one. He can still wear it around the house and when he works in the yard.

Thank you again.

Since the shirt is already sort of a loss as is, I would try clorox II. I had an incident where a family heirloom clothing item (my grandmother's first Christmas dress) was ruined by the dye running on an attached part of the dress when I washed it. I had washed it before with no trouble, but that was in winter. Although I chose cold water both times, I am fairly sure due to our hot hot summer weather the second time I washed it the water was actually much warmer due to the heat. Annnnyways. Dry Cleaner said wash it with 2.5x clorox II and it came out good as new. I did throw some ice into the washer to make certain the water was cold both when it washed and when in rinsed. The other best magic idea I can give you is to take to a dry cleaning / laundry place and ask. Those people have it down to a science.

Guest maddycat

I'm another one who uses original Dawn dish washing detergent for stain removal. I rub some Dawn on the stain and then put it through a cold water wash. It works even on stains that I notice after the article of clothing has already been through the washer and dryer. Sometimes I put the Dawn on the stain, allow it to dry and then wash it a couple of days later. Same results, the stain is gone.

Pcur- I appreciated your suggestion and tried it today. There was no change in the stain.

Next try, the hair spray or Chlorox 2.

The dry cleaner was of no help.