Our Overnight in Athens

Cruzin Terri

As I have mentioned previously, we were a bit unhappy with the short time in port during the stay in Napflion Greece. DH and I had specific places we wanted to see and knew we couldn't do it in the allotted time.

Prior to the cruise we tried to figure out how we would do this until one day I said, Jim, how would you feel about not returning to the ship the night we are in Napflion? At first he gave me a puzzled look, but as i started to explain my plan he became interested.

We already had the same driver for the day in Napflion and the following day in Athens--Fotis Kolliris, good friend of the famous George Letsios. So I first contacted Fotis and asked him if he would be willing to make this work for us. He was agreeable. The next step was our Travel Agent, who contacted HAL for the necessary clearance. We received that in less than 24 hours. So we were in business.

Fotis made hotel reservations for us at the Golden Age Hotel in Athens and promised to be at the port in Napflion at 8 am on July 25 to start our adventure.

I should mention that this is the third attempt that we had made to have Fotis as our driver. In 2011, he was to be our driver when a taxi strike was called for that day and he was unable to come. Last year when Jim became ill, we had to cancel our cruise and we again did not meet him. So Fotis and I had been communicating for four years and really got to know each other quite well through our emails--ending with "Someday we will meet." Well, we finally met.

So on Saturday July 25 we tendered into the port of Napflion and there was Fotis holding a sign with our name on it. The first thing he did was give me a great big kiss telling me how happy he was to finally meet me. I introduced Jim and we were finally on our way.

I should add that I have been suffering since January with a torn right gluteus medius tendon (weight bearing tendon) and have difficulty walking and climbing stairs. i have been going for PT without much success so it looks like I will have to pursue alternate means of treatment. Fotis was very considerate of this and helped me in every way he could

Our first stop was to be the Castle of Palamides, which we deicided to forego because of my problem. So we were off to Epidaurus. After the museum, we went to the Theatre. Jim climbed the theatre while I stayed at the bottom and took his picture. The acoustics in the amphitheater are perfect and you can hear all the way up to the top.

Our next stop was Mycaenae and the Tomb of Agememnon and our third stop was Ancient Corinth, where St. Paul addressed the Corinthians. There is a plaque and a podium to that effect.

Then it was time for a nice Greek lunch of stuffed eggplant, a Greek salad and local wine. All delicious.

We then crossed the Corinth Canal to the mainland for our one hour drive to Athens. Time for a nap while Fotis drove.

Upon arrival in Athens we went to the Acropolis Museum so that we would be prepared for our upcoming visit on Sunday.

To be continued

Oh Terri - wonderful :)

We loved Corinth :) It is a great spot and not visited nearly as much so it was so peaceful when we were there.

Looking forward to hear more and so glad your dream trip you have been planning and trying to do for far too long has come to fruition :)

I keep getting knocked off the internet so I am writing this in parts.

After the Museum we checked into the Golden Age Hotel in Athens and were able to rest a while and freshen up.

At 7:45 pm. Fotis collected us and brought us to a lovely restaurant in the Plaka area of Athens. It was a rooftop garden restaurant. The food was wonderful and we were right under the Acropolis. As the sun set you could see the lights of the Acropolis and Mt. Lycabettus and other sights. It was beautiful. The name of the restaurant is in Greek and I have no idea what it is. We had a salad and Moussaka and a traditional Greek dessert (don't ask me the name). It was a wonderful evening.

We returned to the hotel tired, happy and full.

The alarm sounded too soon on Sunday morning when we had to start our day.

The first order of the day was the Acropolis and Parthenon. I managed to get half way up. My leg did not permit me to make it to the top. No worries. I do have memories of our first visit when I did get to the top. Instead, Jim went on and I sat on some steps with another lady from Holland, who also was unable to climb the whole way. She was on the Norwegian Jade, also in port today.

The Acropolis was packed. There were four ships in port and many tourists. It was very warm and they had to start limiting the number that they could admit.

After the Acropolis we went to watch the Changing of the Guard at the Syntagma (Parliament Building) with the soldiers in the colorful costumes.

Then we were off to the Architectural Museum, the Temple of Zeus, Hadrians Arch and Mount Lycabettus. We topped this off with a wonderful lunch.

Finally we took a drive around Athens and stopped at the Modern Olympic Stadium made all of the same marble as the Parthenon and through the Plaka.

Then it was back to the ship.

When we arrived in our cabin, we found a sign welcoming us back and balloons put up by the Neptune Lounge Concierges. These two are really the best. Mikey and Mitchie. They cannot do enough for you.

So all in all it was a wonderful weekend and we made the most of our time in both the ports of Napflion and Piraeus (Athens).

Terri

Sounds like a grand adventure.

I heartily agree that sometimes "missing the ship on purpose" (with all official sanctions of course) leads to a better experience visiting an area where there is a lot to see.

I love that particular corner of Greece with Epidauros and Mycenae, really magical places -- been to each one three times now and always see something new. And Corinth is another favorite spot -- hope you got to visit the small but excellent museum on site there.

Fotis collected us and brought us to a lovely restaurant in the Plaka area of Athens. It was a rooftop garden restaurant. The food was wonderful and we were right under the Acropolis. As the sun set you could see the lights of the Acropolis and Mt. Lycabettus and other sights.

:swoon:

Sounds fabulous, thanks for taking the time to share with us!

Sounds like a grand adventure.

I heartily agree that sometimes "missing the ship on purpose" (with all official sanctions of course) leads to a better experience visiting an area where there is a lot to see.

I love that particular corner of Greece with Epidauros and Mycenae, really magical places -- been to each one three times now and always see something new. And Corinth is another favorite spot -- hope you got to visit the small but excellent museum on site there.

Yes we did get to the museum. Forgot to mention it.

We really enjoyed these two days.

Terri

I should mention that Fotis kept telling us to forget about returning to the ship and stay at his house and meet his family. He kept repeating that he was so happy to finally meet us. We told him all our clothes and belongings were on the ship. He said buy new clothes.

These were very special days with someone I felt I had known for a long time although I only just met him. I think if we had met his family, we would have felt at home immediately.

Terri

Tomorrow we will be in the Port of Kusadasi. We have a private tour planned with a company called Magical Steps. Since our roll call was not very active, we did not invite others to join us.

We are going to Ephesus (but not the Terrace Houses because of my leg), the house of the Virgin Mary, and the Village of Sirince. I will be happy to report on our ongoing adventures.

We have a full day tomorrow and I am sure I will be tired but will keep you posted.

Terri

Terri, I love your improvised overnight in Athens, great idea.

Did you encounter any unrest at tourist sites or in the city? My sister was in Athens late May and was unnerved by all the armed guards with machine guns, on certain days demonstrations took over some tourist sites.

Tomorrow we will be in the Port of Kusadasi. We have a private tour planned with a company called Magical Steps. Since our roll call was not very active, we did not invite others to join us.

We are going to Ephesus (but not the Terrace Houses because of my leg), the house of the Virgin Mary, and the Village of Sirince. I will be happy to report on our ongoing adventures.

We have a full day tomorrow and I am sure I will be tired but will keep you posted.

Terri

Oh you will love it Terri. we did :) It's incredible and so beautiful.

Most of our group did the Terrace Houses, but I opted not to when I heard about the way down and limited railings. With my healing broken wrist I had no trust in my right hand and decided I would stay safe along with the 3 others. there's enough to see there and you will have a fabulous time.

Your wonderful descriptions of dinner in the Platka, touring Acropolis, watching changing of the Guard all bring back wonderful memories. We were fortunate to visit Athens several times and loved our visits.

Continue to enjoy. :)

It all sounds outstanding with a very special private guide.

Edited by sail7seas

Terri,

Your posting of your time with Fotis brought a smile on my face as you mentioned he is a friend of "the famous George Letsios". I posted a review 10 years ago of our chance meeting with George here on CruiseCritic and from what George tells me, his business skyrocketed from there. From time to time I receive emails and FaceBook messages from George's clients telling me "George says hello". I am even thanked on his website for my part in helping his business. I only wrote an honest review of our wonderful time with him, his integrity and kind services. I now count him as my friend.

I wrote to George last week and asked for a recommendation in Athens and he said Fotis was like a brother to him. I am excited that Fotis will be helping us move about the city in October. I even get to see George for a day when we are in Katakolon. Ten years later.

Again, thanks for making me smile. I'm looking forward to meeting Fotis.

Terri,

Your posting of your time with Fotis brought a smile on my face as you mentioned he is a friend of "the famous George Letsios". I posted a review 10 years ago of our chance meeting with George here on CruiseCritic and from what George tells me, his business skyrocketed from there. From time to time I receive emails and FaceBook messages from George's clients telling me "George says hello". I am even thanked on his website for my part in helping his business. I only wrote an honest review of our wonderful time with him, his integrity and kind services. I now count him as my friend.

I wrote to George last week and asked for a recommendation in Athens and he said Fotis was like a brother to him. I am excited that Fotis will be helping us move about the city in October. I even get to see George for a day when we are in Katakolon. Ten years later.

Again, thanks for making me smile. I'm looking forward to meeting Fotis.

We had George as our driver in Katakalon last Froday. He came as because he knows us from two prior trips. However he is not driving much these days. George will be undergoing bone marrow transplant in late August. Please keep him in your prayers. I hope he will be well enough to drive you in October.

Terri

I'm absolutely delighted reading about your overland adventure - you've been treated like family by someone you've just met, you've seen things others only dream of, and you return to a warm welcome back on the ship.

I'm sure you will enjoy Ephesus where you can walk in the ruts made by the Roman chariots, and the village of Sirince - so much history to take in, just take your time and take lots of photos. Have fun; after all you and your husband have been through, you certainly deserve it!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

He has been in our prayers. It's his partner who will be taking us to Olympia but I told George I'm just looking forward to spending a little time with him and his family. Glad you were able to spend time with him.

We also expected Takis on Friday, but were pleasantly surprised when George was there to greet us and be our driver for the day. He said he couldn't disappoint his friends. He called Fotis three times while we were with him the next two days. We were treated royally by both George and Fotis.

Terri

The ship arrived early (6 am) and some people were off as early as 6:15. We were just opening our eyes and still needed to shower, have our breakfast and cup of coffee to wake us up.

We had a tour planned with a company called Magical Steps. We had been to this port twice before so nothing was really new to us. I had done Ephesus twice and Jim only once (he was not feeling well the first time we were here) so Jim wanted to go back there. Our tour also included the Temple of Artimis, the House of the Virgin Mary and the Village of Sirince.

So we met our tour guide Tenor at our appointed time 8 am. I already knew I was in trouble because my leg was hurting. I guess the last three days really took a toll on me. I immediately informed him of this and he said he would modify the tour to accommodate my needs. Perfect!

Our first stop was Ephesus. As I said in a previous post we skipped the Terrace Houses due to my inability to climb stairs right now. We did, however, do the whole walk from one end to the other, first seeing the government section and then the public section of the town. Our guide was very well informed and explained how one could judge the height of the columns from the width of the base. He also told us that in the last two years some terra-cotta pipes have been discovered that were for the underground water system in Ephesus. He gave us a lot of history and explained lots of the monuments, etc. (I won't bore you). It took about 1 1/2 hours.

Our next stop was the Virgin Mary's House. Since we are Catholic, this was quite important to us. The house is where St. John brought Mary after Jesus died to care for her. It is now a Catholic Shrine. HAL offered a tour today in which a Mass would be said, but we did not opt for that. At the shrine one could make a donation and then light a candle. I did that for my friend and driver George Letsios in Katakalon that he makes a full recovery from his illness.

After that we went to the town of Sirince. This town used to have another name, which I do not remember that meant "ugly town." The mayor did not like it so they fixed up the town and changed the name. Sirince means "pretty town." However it is way up in the mountains and it has become very commercialized. Also walking was very difficult for me with my problem leg. We did not stay very long. The Turkish people, while very nice, are also very aggressive in trying to sell their wares and lure you into their shops. I just wasn't in the mood.

Our last stop was the Temple of Artimis. Save your time. Only one column. Our guide says. That's why they don't charge.

We were supposed to have lunch and a carpet demonstration but opted out of that.

It was a good day, but I really needed to rest my leg, so we called it short and glad we did.

Tomorrow is Mykonos. We have no formal plans and will play it by ear.

To be continued........

Terri

Hi, Terri, hope you are having a great time, and your leg is not causing you too much grief! I know how painful and tiring it can be doing a lot if walking with a bad leg.

As we will be following in your footsteps, more or less, next year, I wondered how you liked the Golden Age Hotel in Athens, and was it in a convenient location? We haven't stayed in Athens for maybe 30 years, and I'm sure things have changed greatly. I'd love to hear your impressions - maybe when you get back home....