What would you do.....

I just finished a week long on Indy. I booked a group of 17 cabins and to my surprise when I get onboard I find a welcome letter with all the amenities we paid for our group and our cabins number, plus 5 cabins that did not belong to my group.

The passenger of those 5 cabins were 14 teenager kids that I was responsible for that I did not know. SO imagine my week, instead of enjoying I was stressed.

I contacted the group manager on the cruise but he said he could do nothing about it.

Should I contact RCCL to find out why???

I just finished a week long on Indy. I booked a group of 17 cabins and to my surprise when I get onboard I find a welcome letter with all the amenities we paid for our group and our cabins number, plus 5 cabins that did not belong to my group.

The passenger of those 5 cabins were 14 teenager kids that I was responsible for that I did not know. SO imagine my week, instead of enjoying I was stressed.

I contacted the group manager on the cruise but he said he could do nothing about it.

What do you mean you were "responsible" for them? And just curious, what are you thinking RCCL will do for you if you do call and complain about your stress? How we feel is our choice...you can choose to be stressed or you can choose to realize some things are out of your control and obviously RCCL made a mistake. Do you honestly believe they would have held you responsible for a group of teenagers you didn't book? Doubtful. And it sounds like nothing even happened...so what was there to stress over?

Edited by sredish

How could you be responsible for 14 teenagers without knowing it? If the cruise is over, it is a little late to do something about it. How about providing a few more details.

for their behavior, complaints, etc, I was the responsible chaperone for kids I did not known

This makes no sense. Nobody can just dump 14 kids on someone else without that person's permission.

The first thing I would have done is put it in writing that I didn't know the kids and that I would not be responsible for them. Then I would have called the police.

I did complain during the cruise, Day 1 but they said they could do nothing on board that just take notes.

I was thankful that nothing happened and my Travel Agent contacted RCCL in Colombia, but a week after they just responded to her that it was a mistake and that is what is bothering me. How does someone makes those kinds of mistake.

Those 14 kids had 3 adults with them but still they were under my group ID and reservation

I think this story is suffering in translation perhaps. Answers to these questions may help clear it up - if OP is still reading.

1. Are you saying that their SeaPasses were somehow linked to your own account, making you somehow responsible for any charges incurred?

2. Who told you that you were responsible for these non-related teenagers?

3. Did you speak to the Hotel Director, Head of Security, or anyone in authority (rather than just someone manning the Guest Services desk)?

I can assure you, OP, that I would've suffered exactly zero stress over this. One trip to Guest Services - with (as someone else suggested) a note in writing stating that these cabins were unrelated to my own - and I would've been off enjoying my cruise stress free.

Mistakes can, and do happen, and often. I don't think a mistake merits compensation though - at least not in this case. And it may not be a mistake at all, but maybe just a misunderstanding on your part. If I had to guess, I would say perhaps this other group booked with the same TA you used, and somehow it appeared to you that they were linked to your group. But that, in no way, means you were responsible for them.

To answer your question, though, I don't think I would do anything because it doesn't sound like anything actually happened in the end.

I did complain during the cruise, Day 1 but they said they could do nothing on board that just take notes.

I was thankful that nothing happened and my Travel Agent contacted RCCL in Colombia, but a week after they just responded to her that it was a mistake and that is what is bothering me. How does someone makes those kinds of mistake.

Those 14 kids had 3 adults with them but still they were under my group ID and reservation

I would have gone down to PAX services and not have left there until it was solved. If they could not help, then their boss, and their bosses boss and don't stop until the issue is solved. Even a letter to the Captain if needed.

This makes no sense. Nobody can just dump 14 kids on someone else without that person's permission.

The first thing I would have done is put it in writing that I didn't know the kids and that I would not be responsible for them. Then I would have called the police.

To OP: You mention that you complained on Day 1 of the cruise. Did you at that very same time call your Travel Agent who helped you put together your group of cabins? You were still in port and if it was me I would have made that call. I would also have had with me, all the paperwork set up for 'my group' and the list of cabins associated with my group and not worried about anything else.

I know that I have booked a cruise with a TA in the past, and because she had a group going on the same sailing I was going, was able to get me the 'group rate' -- I did absolutely nothing with the group, but we did get a better rate.

Perhaps that is what happened and the onboard personnel saw those three cabins as part of the group because of that.

Just adding a possibility.

I am not looking for any type of compensation.

I know my Travel Agent did not booked the cruise for the other passengers.

I did complain to the group manager with Guest Services.

What it bother mes if that I know those 5 cabins where put under mine just for them to get group benefits since 5 cabins were not considered a group.

As I said, put your complaint in writing on the first day and I still would have called the police if there was any hint I was responsible for those kids.

Since nothing bad happened and all turned out well I wouldn't worry about it. I can understand your concern and the "what if" but since nothing happened I would just chalk it up to a harmless mistake.

Someone made an oops thankfully all turned out ok.

What it bother mes if that I know those 5 cabins where put under mine just for them to get group benefits since 5 cabins were not considered a group.

From my personal experience the travel agent is the one who could have done it. My travel agent many times has groups going and freely asks me if I want to go on 'those dates' to give me a better rate. But if the date isn't good for me, it isn't. If I am booking a cruise and her agency has a group on board, it is fine with me....and seems that the group, has never cared either.

If it bothers you, then you have to be open to the concept that perhaps the travel agent is responsible, and may not want to admit it to you.

Someone cannot just 'put themselves' into a group.

Just curious exactly what did this group of 5 cabins get that they were not entitled to.

I thought you had to have an adult in each cabin. How did 14 teenagers get their own cabins?

Sometimes Royal makes exceptions to their rules, such as when children are booked next to or across from their parent/guardian. I suspect the Quinceanera groups might also get an exception.

I don't really understand the problem. It seems from your post that you have been booking and carrying large amounts of teens on rci for 4 years now, sometimes not even knowing how many teens will be booked. Most of your post are about this. Talk to your ta

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28829133#post28829133

Edited by setsail

The poster said 14 kids, "plus" 3 adults. My simple guess is that this was another group, and they had adults in the group that were responsible. So discussing this with the ship, and having it noted that this was a mistake, should have been settled with another "group" leader named.

I thought you had to have an adult in each cabin. How did 14 teenagers get their own cabins?

Sorry you were stressed but YOU WERE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM at all. What gave you the impression that you were? Stray bookings get slipped into groups all the time for the sake of rates and amenities. It does NOT mean those bookings are your responsibility, ever.

for their behavior, complaints, etc, I was the responsible chaperone for kids I did not known

No. The adults traveling with them were their chaperones.

Honestly not sure how on earth you thought you were their chaperone to the point of being "stressed" instead of relaxed. :confused: Mole hill...meet mountain.

This story has some really big holes in it. Maybe the OP will come back and explain the situation in more detail. The only way these cabins could have been booked under his name would have to be by the TA. That's where the problem lies. However, in no way was he responsible for the people in any of the cabins. The "group" was just for booking purposes. I have a fairly large group of travel companions (family and friends) who book as a group to get a better deal on the fare. We are all responsible for ourselves.

This story has some really big holes in it. Maybe the OP will come back and explain the situation in more detail. The only way these cabins could have been booked under his name would have to be by the TA. That's where the problem lies. However, in no way was he responsible for the people in any of the cabins. The "group" was just for booking purposes. I have a fairly large group of travel companions (family and friends) who book as a group to get a better deal on the fare. We are all responsible for ourselves.

Exactly! Did the OP think she was responsible for everyone included in this booking also? You are not a chaperone without written consent from parents/guardians. I have chaperoned my fair share of graduation cruises.:rolleyes:

heerrera: ""Hi Kathy!!!

I am traveling with my husband, my 3 year old son, my mom and tonssssss of teenagers. We have booked 25 cabins, so imagine, between adults an kids we are near a 100 people... and maybe more coming....

We'll see""""

This does sound like a quinceanera group that often cruise in July. My biggest question in terms of additional "stress" of having a group of 12 girls with 3 adults cruising with them is how much worse could it be when you already are responsible for 17 cabins of 14 YO girls???? I also suspect your TA is responsible for the additional 5 cabins being booked into the group.

Sorry, but your complaint sounds like more drama than what you've already experienced on your cruise.....

To OP:

I know that I have booked a cruise with a TA in the past, and because she had a group going on the same sailing I was going, was able to get me the 'group rate' -- I did absolutely nothing with the group, but we did get a better rate.

Perhaps that is what happened and the onboard personnel saw those three cabins as part of the group because of that.

Just adding a possibility.

This is what I was thinking happened as I was reading this post. My TA usually does create a 'Group' booking whenever we have 2-or more cabins (friends & family) located all together. We have done this several times & she has been able to get us better rates. Sometimes there are people added to 'our group' that we don't know (although usually not on any of our paperwork that we can see..think this was an RC mistake). We have never been responsible for those passengers. I think you just got the wrong answer from whomever you talked to on Day 1. I would have never stopped there if I was told that I was responsible for a bunch of teenagers that I did not know! My first call would have been to my TA to take care of the issue. This would be the end to any stress that might have been building up for me as I know she would take care of it. Good idea to take along your TA's business card on any cruise you book though him/her. Mine always says to call her if we run into any issues.