First Time Celebrity Cruiser With Questions

westcruzer

I have cruised several times in the past as you can see in my signature so I am familiar with cruising overall. I have never cruised on Celebrity or to Alaska so most of my questions will be related to that.

I earned a trip from my work and it is on the Celebrity Millennium going to Alaska in August. I am provided with the flight to Anchorage and stay in the Marriott for the night, on the ship I am reserved in the Concierge Veranda, prepaid gratuities, and the Premium Drink Package. Also the train ride from Anchorage to Seward on the GoldStar Dome with full breakfast is provided. Transfer from the train to the ship is also included.

I am 36 and DW is 34. What are some of the differences or similarities between Carnival (probably more differences?) or Princess (probably more similarities?) to the Celebrity Millennium?

What are some things I need to bring more specific to the Millennium ship or Alaska itinerary. For example bungie cords, extension cord etc.

How many alcohol drinks are included per day with the Premium package? Do they have a hard cider like Angry Orchard, Strongbow, etc.?

What are must do's on the ship and off.

Any information is welcome.

How many alcohol drinks are included per day with the Premium package? Do they have a hard cider like Angry Orchard, Strongbow, etc.?

As many as you can drink.

In the Caribbean, they had Angry Orchard, but its availability was pretty limited. In Alaska, I'd wager they'll have more availability of ciders, but that's just a hunch.

There are no drink limits with the Celebrity package like there are on Carnival.

there is no bungee jumping allowed on Celebrity either:D

You can do the same things in port off the ship as you always do. There will be no Sr Frogs in Alaska tho:eek:

Bring a jacket, even in the summer time it is cool in Alaska according to the weather channel.

All in all you will find it more like Princess than Carinval.

Better food, service and more refined atmosphere than Carnival. Be sure to check out the Martini Bar. You will enjoy the Premium drink package -fresh squeezed juice, speciality coffees/teas, bottled water in addition to alcohol.

Alaska is beautiful, have a wonderful trip.

Wow, lucky you!

It's a wonderful cruise. Take layers, with the top being a waterproof Gore Tex (or similar) with hood. Don't forget some gloves and a hat of some kind as the day you're in the glacier/fjord it's going to be cold. You can pack sweater, sweatshirt, etc. in a space bag and suck out the air to save luggage space.

Your assigned dining room will be the main dining room and you'll have two formal nights. If you don't want to wear a tux or suit, then you can eat in the specialty restaurants on those nights which have a slightly more relaxed dress code although many will still dress formally or semi-formally to stay with the general ambiance of the ship.

You can drink as much as you want on the either the classic or premium package. No limits, although you can only get one at a time.

Not sure why you'd need a bungee cord. ?

I have cruised several times in the past as you can see in my signature so I am familiar with cruising overall. I have never cruised on Celebrity or to Alaska so most of my questions will be related to that.

I earned a trip from my work and it is on the Celebrity Millennium going to Alaska in August. I am provided with the flight to Anchorage and stay in the Marriott for the night, on the ship I am reserved in the Concierge Veranda, prepaid gratuities, and the Premium Drink Package. Also the train ride from Anchorage to Seward on the GoldStar Dome with full breakfast is provided. Transfer from the train to the ship is also included.

I am 36 and DW is 34. What are some of the differences or similarities between Carnival (probably more differences?) or Princess (probably more similarities?) to the Celebrity Millennium?

What are some things I need to bring more specific to the Millennium ship or Alaska itinerary. For example bungie cords, extension cord etc.

What are must do's on the ship and off.

Any information is welcome.

You get free drinks on the train from Anchorage to Seward, too. 2 drinks per person. They give you tokens. And people that aren't drinking can share their tokens with others. The breakfast is really nice.

Bring along a hat and gloves, etc....

It can be cold/windy when you are at Hubbard Glacier.

Must do: get up in the air in Alaska! Either a helicopter, floatplane or bush plane!

Celebrity is very different than Carnival. You will LOVE Celebrity!

You are a very lucky, hard-working couple!

We have sailed on the Millie, as she is called by her fans, and have been to Alaska.

You do not need to bring a heavy coat as layers will work especially as you sail Hubbard Glacier. The most important outerwear is waterproof not water resistant. Alaska is a rainforest in effect and you might experience beautiful sunshine but also light mist to mild rainfall. Depending on your dock in Skagway it may also be windy so include a hat when you pack, particularly one that won't blow away.

The storage in your cabin will be more than adequate. There is also better storage in the bath than you might have experienced on prior cruises. Can't compare Carnival or Princess since I don't know which ships or cabin categories you have had.

Celebrity is a far different experience than Carnival and we prefer the food and service over Princess too.

Enjoy your cruise!

We love Celebrity, as it is more composed, quite even sedate, you maybe in for a shock as the demographic trends towards the semi or fully retired clientele, don't expect much action after 11pm. Millennium is now a little aged and showing a few signs of distress, expect a few problems due to her age but will be OK if you not too critical. Alaska can be beautiful if the weather plays ball, just keep your fingers crossed and try not too over indulge as you will have a free bar.

Congratulations. What a great incentive prize to win.

I sailed a one week Carnival Breeze cruise last winter as a filler cruise between 2 spaced out Celebrity cruises I had booked in January. (I thought how bad can it be...never again!). BIG difference between The two lines. The service on Celebrity is so much better as well as the food. If you eat in the MDR for dinner you'll have to dress up considerably compared to Carnival. No shorts allowed (which to me is a good thing). Many people looked like they had just rolled in from a frat party before coming to dinner.

With the beverage package you'll be able to pick up bottles of water to take into port with you as well at no additional cost.

Most definitely dress in layers. When I was there we had a heat wave with temps in the 80s every day. On board ship sailing it was cooler. Water excursions also cooler (or cold). So the temperatures during the length of your trip can really run a broad range.

Do NOT miss some of the water related excursions. Whale watching was unimaginably wonderful. We were so close to a humpback whale family "pod". Mommy, daddy and baby. Watched them breaching and putting on a real show.

We also took a small boat around the coast line and saw a lot of wildlife, including a group of otters just rolling around and playing in the water. My mother went salmon fishing with two other male passengers and landed a big one. The boat then prepared a meal on board for us and smoked/shipped the remainder back home.

You will have a wonderful time!

Dress like it could be a damp Fall day. It may be nicer and that would be fantastic. As mentioned, dress in layers and expect any kind of weather except Caribbean.

You will find a much older group than Carnival. Not a lot of night life, especially after 10 pm. You will have a real good time aboard.

There is a salmon bake listed under one of the excursions. Fresh local salmon. Highly recommended. It is fresh, not frozen...

I can't add much to what others have said but, "Holy Cow! I want your cruise!"

We took our Alaska cruise in late August on the Millie a couple years ago.

I don't know your time in Anchorage, but you may want to consider renting a pair of bicycles and riding along Cook inlet. Also you may find eating in a restaurant in downtown Anchorage a daunting task. Summer is a very busy time and the population triples. If you're lucky you may even see Denali from Anchorage. Check with you hotel. You will have to find a high point and the sky can't be cloudy. There is a shopping mall in the downtown area that offers an opportunity to get some last minute items.

I wish we had had more time to explore Seward. We did take a tour of the bay and that turned out to be a really good trip.

Don't forget your waterproof jacket. Jeans are the uniform of the day. I would encourage you to purchase a good set of binoculars if you don't have some. I recommend you go to the sports store on a rainy day and check the optics. Mine are Leupold Yosemite 8x30. You won't need anything stronger as they are good all round glasses. Also the 8x30 isn't so big you feel like you're carrying around a bowling ball.

I would recommend reading James Michener's book "Alaska." It will give you a great incite as to how Alaska came to be. As most Michener books it starts with the geology and ends with some of the problems facing Alaska.

While in the military I flew in several helicopters and I have to admit it's cool. But for me the Wow was taking off in a floatplane in Ketchikan for a flight over the Misty Fjords. You take off right beside your cruise ship. We flew with Michael of Island Wings Air Service. Amazing.

You may want to consider sitting in the Cosmos Lounge. Get there early to score your seat. There are great loungers up front. It's a great place to watch the inland passage and the boat traffic while staying dry.

Get up early and watch your transit into Vancouver. It is a really pretty ride.

Have a wonderful time.

Bob and Rosemary

To me the "must do" in Alaska is to take a float plane over Misty Fjords National Monument from Ketchikan. I have done it twice and will do it again if I get back to Ketchikan. We went with Michelle, the owner of Island Wings. She has a 6 passenger plane and is highly recommended by many people on this sight. This is expensive, but worth every cent.

You might want to remember that you will have many hours of sunlight in August. It won't be dark until perhaps 11:00 pm or later and sun will rise very early. I once had a tour to Denali that started at 5:20 am and it was fully light at that time. I always take an eye mask, more for the hotel than for the ship.

You will have a great trip.

Carolyn

In addition to the above, you will enjoy a larger bathroom and shower with a glass door.

Nicer room service than the other ships at no cost (some premium items do have a surcharge).

More refined, but still relaxed atmosphere.

Excellent service from the staff.

In standard cabins many passengers bring pop-up baskets (bins) to place in the overhead cabinets above the bed. The cabinets are on the high side so it makes it easier to pull down. Can be used for underwear, socks, bathing suits, etc.. Some also bring a shoe case that hangs over the bathroom door.

The food although not fantastic imo is better than Princess and NCL.

Be sure to check out some of the specialty restaurants. They are worth a shot esp for a first time cruiser.

Enjoy!

Have a great trip! The float plane excursions are lovely. It's awe inspiring to see an American eagle in flight. Your premium package gives you an opportunity to enjoy different wines you would like to try without the necessity to purchase of an expensive bottle of wine.

enjoy,

Winnie

WTG on the free cruise and perks!

The bungee cords, I've read, are to keep the balcony door open on some ships. I was supposed to be on the Millie in May but American Air screwed me out of it by cancelling my flight.

Some also suggest duct tape to keep the drawers from opening on rough waters.

You'll enjoy the the premium drink package. No limits on the number except for cost but you only have to pay the difference between the max price of the package and the drink cost.

I bring a three way plug that is very small and unobtrusive compared to a strip.