Rude Passengers

sarasfw

Tony, it's you! We're kind of like mirror images. We get what we put out. I know that when I'm cranky, the world is cranky. When I walk around with a smile on my face and a lilt in my step, the world responds likewise.

I know, I know sounds pretty pollyannish but I've found it's especially true onboard a cruise ship.

How can you not walk around with a smile on your face??? your on a Princess Cruise!!! :):):):):).

Thank You all for the nice compliment,

Tony

You have it exactly right, wizard and Tony.

Little saying that has stayed with me : "when you point the finger at someone else, remember you have three pointing back at you". Simplistic, but true.

Yes, goes along with that assuming one.;)

They also don't like elevators. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten on an elevator with them and they are ALL up in the front of the elevator. It's like the back is scary to them or something!!

Maybe they know something about the back of elevators that we do not.

I don't necessarily think it's an age thing. I am pretty young as cruisers go (in my 20's) and I would never imagine acting in the way that has been described in this thread, nor would anyone I know my age.

I've met extremely rude people of all ages and social classes. Sadly rude adults create rude children and so forth.

Looks like this thread is winding down, but I want to share my story first!

A couple years ago I was wondering around the ship in the evening (it was not an NCL ship) and came across a situation out side the photo area. A security guard was confronting a group of teenagers, and I quickly picked up that one of the teenagers was caught trying to take a printed photo he had not paid for. The kid (guessing he was 15-17 range) was arguing that he had forgot he had it, or that a friend had put it in his stuff - some sort of BS story.

Regardless, what got me what how he was treating the security guard. Instead of being apologetic and respectful, he was yelling at the guard, using steady profanity and insults. I was shocked to my core with the behavior and could only imagine what type of upbringing would cause a kid of this age to act like this.

Then to top it all off, the security guard eventually let the kid off with a warning. I can understand that cruise lines might turn a blind eye to some behavior in certain circumstances, but in my opinion, this kid deserved the proverbial book to be thrown at him!

We really kept our cool on this holiday as rudeness as I mentioned in my OP is something which really annoys us in all walks of life and normally, we do make a remark, i.e. queuing in Rome for the shuttle bus and a woman pushes in front of us, her son remarked she is being cheeky and she responded "NO I'M NOT". I failed to hold my tongue and quietly said (but loud enough for her to hear) that people were really starting to annoy me with their rudeness, my husband asked who and I said, her for a start!! She must have heard me as she said you go in front of me :) On a ship though, we must hold our tongue as you dont want a full scale barney on an enclosed space but it didnt ruin things, the holiday was amazing. We certainly wont let imbeciles like them ruin our time but just had to mention this, as you never know, there may be some members on here which it may have struck a chord and make them think twice in future when they realise they just look like fools! :D

You're lucky you didn't get punched or worse. Everywhere, and especially on a cruise there are inconsiderate and rude people that act entitled. Across all ages and cultures. I find it Best not to make snide remarks and to simply ignore them as much as I can, and don't let those kind of people ruin my enjoyment of the cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Or if was indeed that young, his patents contacted .

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

You know, I didn't think about that, but I'm sure hoping that was the case! I didn't see any information change hands, but I also got there at the tail end of the confrontation so could have missed that.

Actually, I wonder if when the situation got nasty and the yelling started, the guard's training led him to defuse the current situation quickly so it could be resolved in a more appropriate venue.

Tony, it's you! We're kind of like mirror images. We get what we put out. I know that when I'm cranky, the world is cranky. When I walk around with a smile on my face and a lilt in my step, the world responds likewise.

I know, I know sounds pretty pollyannish but I've found it's especially true onboard a cruise ship.

To paraphrase, "A smile is the shortest distance between two people" ;)

You're lucky you didn't get punched or worse. Everywhere, and especially on a cruise there are inconsiderate and rude people that act entitled. Across all ages and cultures. I find it Best not to make snide remarks and to simply ignore them as much as I can, and don't let those kind of people ruin my enjoyment of the cruise.

It probably is a mostly futile effort, but just maybe, by pointing out rude behavior you will embarrass the rude individual enough that they correct their behavior.

When the rude people on our 29 day cruise, were dinner mates, whom we actually invited to our table pre-cruise because they were on our roll call, it did have the potential to at least spoil our dinner though not our cruise! I must admit, I approached the dining room with a little trepidation on several nights, not knowing just what they would say tonight and would I be able to hold my tongue, so as not to spoil dinner for the others at the table. :(

When the rude people on our 29 day cruise, were dinner mates, whom we actually invited to our table pre-cruise because they were on our roll call, it did have the potential to at least spoil our dinner though not our cruise! I must admit, I approached the dining room with a little trepidation on several nights, not knowing just what they would say tonight and would I be able to hold my tongue, so as not to spoil dinner for the others at the table. :(

That is why we dine Anytime/select/My time, etc.

Looks like this thread is winding down, but I want to share my story first!

A couple years ago I was wondering around the ship in the evening (it was not an NCL ship) and came across a situation out side the photo area. A security guard was confronting a group of teenagers, and I quickly picked up that one of the teenagers was caught trying to take a printed photo he had not paid for. The kid (guessing he was 15-17 range) was arguing that he had forgot he had it, or that a friend had put it in his stuff - some sort of BS story.

Regardless, what got me what how he was treating the security guard. Instead of being apologetic and respectful, he was yelling at the guard, using steady profanity and insults. I was shocked to my core with the behavior and could only imagine what type of upbringing would cause a kid of this age to act like this.

Then to top it all off, the security guard eventually let the kid off with a warning. I can understand that cruise lines might turn a blind eye to some behavior in certain circumstances, but in my opinion, this kid deserved the proverbial book to be thrown at him!

I greatly hope that there was a strong followup for the young persons sake. If kids get away with something by using profanity and yelling I am afraid they will continue to abuse rules and laws until they can't talk their way out of a situation.

Of course I can hear the parents making excuses and buying off crimes also. I pity the kids these days that haven't been given the gift of strong values.

4boysnana

We do the regular dinner....I wouldn't trade the experience of meeting some new, great people because of the occasional rude one!

We still dine with lots of people, you just select them (at pre dinner drinks, CC friends, etc) before attending the MDR.:D

If that happens again, just ask the headwaiter to have you assigned to a different table for the rest of the cruise.