Rude Passengers

sarasfw

I have a mobility issue. I, currently, use no aids, but can easily be knocked over or left in severe pain by someone bumping or pushing against the wrong spot.

I've had three surgeries where I was fitted for orthopedic items like neck braces, etc. In all three cases, the therapist said that I need only wear them when outside the house. That the items were more to send a message to those I would encounter to be careful around me than anything else.

Rudeness breeds more rudeness, If we can restrain ourselves form being rude just because others are then it will remain a very small minority of people being rude. However, if we react rudely to rudeness that will encourage similar behaviour and it will compound the situation.:D

This is why when we were dealing with table mates who would make rude remarks at dinner several times during our 29 days....we would just just turn our attention to our other table mates and try not to indulge in conversation with them.

Edited by suzyed

This has happened to me several times on different ships. I have very curly hair and I get some remarks about it all the time. This is OK. But what gets me is when people start to touch it. I get "your hair is so curly" and then they grab it with their hand. I don't know why they need to "feel" my hair. It all happens so fast every time that I don't know how to react. But I don't want strangers touching my hair!

Oh, Maria, ain't it the truth!:mad:

Rudeness breeds more rudeness, If we can restrain ourselves form being rude just because others are then it will remain a very small minority of people being rude. However, if we react rudely to rudeness that will encourage similar behaviour and it will compound the situation.:D

I couldn't agree more.

I suspect that it is going to get even worse. A friend of my wife's just got a job (she's a teacher) working for a company/group/organization/something called kto8 or kto12, I don't remember, which that evidently is having on-line schools for everything from kindergarten on up. My question is how in the world are those children going to learn how to interact with other children in a socially diverse group? On-line education has it's place but what about social skillls with others in a non-play environment?

Gonna be an interesting world here in a decade or two, at least in the "advanced" part of the world! (Of course, as I type this I'm wondering to myself how many times this exact same thing has been said by people throughout the past 200 years about "these new modern things" and how they're going to ruin the world! :eek:

Tom

Along these same lines, both my daughters (in their 20's) work at a major theme park where they are exposed to many different co-workers on a daily basis. They tell me that they can tell within 5 minutes whether their co-workers have been home-schooled due to their limited social skills.

Along these same lines, both my daughters (in their 20's) work at a major theme park where they are exposed to many different co-workers on a daily basis. They tell me that they can tell within 5 minutes whether their co-workers have been home-schooled due to their limited social skills.

While this might be true for your daughters, I am in my 20s and I have many home school graduated friends. In my experience the home schooled ones tend to be MORE polite than the publicly schooled ones. They are definitely harder working too (well at least harder working than me :P).

It's usually not difficult to determine if someone is better educated than normal.

This is why when we were dealing with table mates who would make rude remarks at dinner several times during our 29 days....we would just just turn our attention to our other table mates and try not to indulge in conversation with them.

Yes, that is one way or to politely inform them that rudeness will not be tolerated at the table and they should apoligise or leave.

Reading about these dinner table atrocities confirms what I've known for years: my wife and I will dine alone, thank you

But this is a topic about Rude Passengers, not about all the wonderful people encountered onboard. Of our 24 Princess cruises we have requested and received a table for two only once just to give it a try. We were very cautious as I have read many comments here on CC about tables close together and people not wanting to chat with neighbours. Well, both of our sets of neighbours were chatters and we soon realized what we knew all along. That is, we have thoroughly enjoyed the company of our table mates on all cruises so far and enjoy hearing of their adventures of the day over dinner. If one day we encounter someone at dinner who we don't see eye to eye with we will carry on next cruise knowing that we are likely now 25 or more cruises away from another similar experience rather than writing off dining with others ever again.

Terry

But this is a topic about Rude Passengers, not about all the wonderful people encountered onboard. Of our 24 Princess cruises we have requested and received a table for two only once just to give it a try. We were very cautious as I have read many comments here on CC about tables close together and people not wanting to chat with neighbours. Well, both of our sets of neighbours were chatters and we soon realized what we knew all along. That is, we have thoroughly enjoyed the company of our table mates on all cruises so far and enjoy hearing of their adventures of the day over dinner. If one day we encounter someone at dinner who we don't see eye to eye with we will carry on next cruise knowing that we are likely now 25 or more cruises away from another similar experience rather than writing off dining with others ever again.

Terry

I agree, Terry! After the initial awkwardness that sometimes occurs, we 99% of the time enjoy our dinner table mates! We have met and befriended people from all over the world! We are still friends with two guys we met on a cruise in 1999 and many more in since! To us, it's one of the best parts of cruising! ;)

Just a few observations and experiences:

Hubby and I always eat by ourselves. We had so many bad experiences with rude tablemates that we gave up on it. Rude people at the table are nothing new: we experienced it on our first cruise in 1973!!

Elevators: I have found that if I am in the front of the elevator, and I step completely out, holding the door with my arm across it, that not only do the people getting off have more room, but it sends a strong message to those waiting to get on that "it's not your turn yet". It's kind of like a polite bodyblock. :D

No cultural offenses intended here, because we US citizens didn't get the label "ugly American" for nothing:

I was visiting Windsor Castle last May and a large group of Chinese tourists were picking up headphones and audio guides at the same time. They didn't know how to do this and kept talking louder, and LOUDER, AND LOUDER. The staff member suddenly clapped her hands really loud, and yelled "QUIET!!!". The noise was deafening from this group! My son and I looked at each other, grabbed our audio stuff, and got out of there!

I've been on several cruises with Aussies and Kiwis: the most friendly people in the world IMO. However, they are seriously impatient, too. I've never heard and seen more humming, teeth clicking, finger tapping, air blowing, and jittering in place than with those people. They also don't like elevators. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten on an elevator with them and they are ALL up in the front of the elevator. It's like the back is scary to them or something!! And, complain about stopping at multiple floors!!

It is very sad !!

"I am very lucky that 99.9% of the people I met on all my cruises are so FRIENDLY and NICE".

Lucky me,

Tony

Tony, it's you! We're kind of like mirror images. We get what we put out. I know that when I'm cranky, the world is cranky. When I walk around with a smile on my face and a lilt in my step, the world responds likewise.

I know, I know sounds pretty pollyannish but I've found it's especially true onboard a cruise ship.

Tony, it's you! We're kind of like mirror images. We get what we put out. I know that when I'm cranky, the world is cranky. When I walk around with a smile on my face and a lilt in my step, the world responds likewise.

I know, I know sounds pretty pollyannish but I've found it's especially true onboard a cruise ship.

I agree, smile and people respond (mostly), those that don't, well they can keep going.:D