Even more wine Q's - Navigator/Admiral pack

dakrewser

I am not the wine expert you mentioned, but am a devoted Oenophile :). As to the Danzante Moscato, I will be kind and say that stuff offends my senses. But for somebody that likes sweeter wines it might be less offensive.

Hank

That would be me.

Thanks for your comments which were well thought out.

I am not the wine expert you mentioned, but am a devoted Oenophile :). As to the Danzante Moscato, I will be kind and say that stuff offends my senses. But for somebody that likes sweeter wines it might be less offensive.

Hank

From the winemaker's notes:

"Straw yellow with golden highlights. Intense and delicate. The bouquet offers all aromas typical of the grape, with a hint of white and yellow flowers followed by beautiful notes of fruits such as pear and peach and a hint of sage and lime. On the palate fresh, full and velvety.

Delicious with cream cakes and flans"

i.e., best left for your dessert. In a pinch might go with spicy Asian foods.

"Straw yellow with golden highlights. Intense and delicate. The bouquet offers all aromas typical of the grape, with a hint of white and yellow flowers followed by beautiful notes of fruits such as pear and peach and a hint of sage and lime. On the palate fresh, full and velvety.

YES! It did with spicy Asian. Perfectly as a matter of fact. But that is just my opinion.

Worked well with fruit, too.

What? There's more than one wine stewart in the MDR now? Biggest complaint of our last few HAL cruises was the decided lack of wine stewarts..

there is definitely more than wine steward - at least on our cruises.

We've never had an issue with service and, yes, they do chat with us a bit and offer substitutes when our favourites are sold out (usually better than what's on the list)

Life is good onboard :)

Does anyone have a recent listing of which wines are included in the Navigator's and Admiral's wine packages?

I don't have the list but recently returned from a 12day on Nieuw Amsterdam. I think you can see the list online, once you are a booked guest, under the Gifts & Indulgences tab. I ordered the Navigator pkg which was ok. I am a regular wine drinker but next time I will choose the Admiral's pkg as I thought the Navigatir pkg was a bit low end. Having said that, wine is judged on your personal taste, not my opinion, eh! Enjoy your cruise when it comes along.

ROFL! And do you think a winemaker would ever write notes like, "has the sweetness of cough syrup with the finish of dirty socks!" DW can do a comic routine making fun of tasting notes. :).

But seriously, if we were to sip a Moscato it would be with dessert. It would be a poor substitute for a nice ice wine or Sauterne but if someone else were buying and there was no other options........

Edited by Hlitner

What? There's more than one wine stewart in the MDR now? Biggest complaint of our last few HAL cruises was the decided lack of wine stewarts..

It has been a couple of years since we have eaten in the dining room.

But when we did, it was when HAL started to cut way back on the number of wine stewards and they would only take care of people who wanted bottles of wine. There were a couple of times when we wanted just a cocktail and our dining room server had to order it and get it for us. Didn't like that idea.

The times when we did order a bottle of wine, we waited for the bottle to be delivered to the table and most of the time we had to pour it ourselves as he was no where in sight.

Hank

I think that the Moscato and the Riesling are on the list for people who prefer sweeter whites. I don't recall anything for people who like sweeter reds though. The Grace Lane Riesling on the list is a lighter and sweeter wine. We took a few bottles of Charles Smith's Kung Fu Girl Evergreen Reisling to pair with food in the Tamarind last year. It retails for $12, so the corkage ups the cost by 250%. It was worth it though. (Kung Fu Girl was the #43 wine on Wine Spectator's Top 100 of 2014. It's not quite as sweet as the Grace Lane, and it definitely has a bit more body.)