will I lose my sea glass and sea shells/

lawlady77

will Celebrity confiscate any sea glass or sea shells that you pick up on the beach in Bermuda?

I have been to Bermuda and many other places for seaglass/seashells. I usually wrap each in many tissues/washcloths. Each has arrived on the ship and home in perfect condition. I collect these. Found the biggest shells in St. Kitts. Hope we can find some on our trip to Australia/NZ this Oct/Nov. Good luck with your hunting

My son just brought me a small bag of sea glass from Bermuda. He was on RCL Grandeur.

I've been on Celebrity 4 x's now to Bermuda and they have not once taken my shells or sea glass...but I am not sure how they operate as of recent. I do know there is a sign that says it is against the law to remove the sea glass from the sea glass beach. My son found the sea glass he brought me at Tobacco Bay.

I know for a fact that they were confiscating all of the "pink" Bermuda beach sand from people who were attempting to take it as a souvenir in small plastic bags or bottles as they were re-boarding the Summit when we were there the summer before last, so they may be doing the same with sea shells now. If I really found a treasure I wanted to keep, I would probably just stick it down my cleavage - I could always say that the waves pushed it in there unbeknownst to me if they caught me with it!

If they are in your bag and go through the scanner they will be detected and action or not taken. If they are in your pocket they will be undetected in the scanner as they are non magnetic. Your choice. Once on board I would give any shells a good scrub and clean to remove any possibility of them starting to smell a day or so later

Edited by Beanb41

will Celebrity confiscate any sea glass or sea shells that you pick up on the beach in Bermuda?

I haven't picked up seaglass,but shells I did(yes,St Kitts seems to have the best)Never had issues bringing them aboard in our "beach" bag.

We routinely collect jars of sand or soil from our stops and have never had a problem bringing them back on the ship. Ziplocs of sand do tend to get TSA's undies in a bunch, but after they swipe them with the explosive-reactive wipes, they're satisfied.

We just bought a case of 16 oz plastic jars with screw-on lids from Uline specifically for this purpose.

Since X confiscates letter openers purchased in port when there are steak knives twice as large available throughout the ship, nothing would surprise me. Logic or common sense is not even remotely a factor. :rolleyes:

We routinely collect jars of sand or soil from our stops and have never had a problem bringing them back on the ship. Ziplocs of sand do tend to get TSA's undies in a bunch, but after they swipe them with the explosive-reactive wipes, they're satisfied.

We just bought a case of 16 oz plastic jars with screw-on lids from Uline specifically for this purpose.

Just don't try this if you visit Hawaii. Removal has been illegal for several years now.

I wasn't sure just why they were confiscating people's souvenier sand. I was curious about it, but since it didn't affect me personally I didn't ask. I sort of assumed it was because of some odd Bermuda policy, like a fear that if every tourist took home even a little bit of sand, their legendary pink beaches would disappear, or something like that. But since it seemed to actually be Summit staff that was doing the confiscating as people were re-boarding the ship, I don't know just what their reasoning was. Maybe they had plans to sell it in one of the gift shops, so they could increase their profit margin!

Edited by Lysingers

Please be a responsible tourist and "take only pictures, leave only footprints". They are not "your" sea glass and shells and you should leave them where they are. Check out Bermuda Online (bermuda-online.org) where it is made clear that the local people are very unhappy about cruise passengers doing this:

"Sea glass. Glass weathered smooth by the ocean, can be found on beaches throughout the island but is particularly common on a few smaller beaches. It is sometimes used to make jewellery and various decorations. Cruise ship and other visitors have been spotted seeing it and taking it away, to the huge annoyance of locals. Neither residents nor visitors are allowed to take sand, shells, coral, sea fans or sea glass out of the beach or ocean or out of Bermuda."

I live on a small island which is popular with tourists and we are fortunate that most of our visitors respect our beautiful environment. Folks are generally much more environmentally aware now than they were in the past and I am saddened to think that anyone would visit such a beautiful and welcoming island as Bermuda and disregard the feelings of the local people, just so they can collect yet another souvenir. I hope you have a wonderful trip to Bermuda and I know you will do the right thing!;):)

Edited by Suzy Smith

A guidebook will tell you about the beaches you'll have access to..and the rules and laws for those beaches. If it says you can't take sand or shells...don't!

At most of our beaches here at home, it's totally illegal to mess with the sand dune and the grasses that grow on them. Even walking on the dunes can incur a big fine. So...learn the laws!

Please be a responsible tourist and "take only pictures, leave only footprints". They are not "your" sea glass and shells and you should leave them where they are. Check out Bermuda Online (bermuda-online.org) where it is made clear that the local people are very unhappy about cruise passengers doing this:

"Sea glass. Glass weathered smooth by the ocean, can be found on beaches throughout the island but is particularly common on a few smaller beaches. It is sometimes used to make jewellery and various decorations. Cruise ship and other visitors have been spotted seeing it and taking it away, to the huge annoyance of locals. Neither residents nor visitors are allowed to take sand, shells, coral, sea fans or sea glass out of the beach or ocean or out of Bermuda."

I live on a small island which is popular with tourists and we are fortunate that most of our visitors respect our beautiful environment. Folks are generally much more environmentally aware now than they were in the past and I am saddened to think that anyone would visit such a beautiful and welcoming island as Bermuda and disregard the feelings of the local people, just so they can collect yet another souvenir. I hope you have a wonderful trip to Bermuda and I know you will do the right thing!;):)

Vey well said and I totally agree.

I've not tried sand,as I hear a lot of places will fine you. As to shells, the only ones I'll take are the ones along the breakwater of the beach,never any live ones.

I would not bring soil into the country. On the customs declaration they ask if you are bringing any soil into the US. The soil may contain pathogens or other harmful things

Sand and soil are treated quite differently.

This link provides a good overview of what beach souvenirs can be brought into the USA: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1226/kw/sand/sno/1

Although there are certainly valid issues with regard to the safety of bringing things back into the US, the issue here is related to being a good visitor to another country.

If every visitor were to take a pocket full of shells and a jar of sand, especially that what is specifically unique to the place you are visiting...the beauty of the place you are visiting would be quickly depleted. You have no inherent right to steal from the residents, even if what you are taking appears to be "free" and in the open. It seems a little thing, but it really is theft of resources.