What a huge mess!

Gatorfan01

Last October my niece booked a cruise for her family thru a TA on the Ecstasy for the August 3rd sailing. This was to be her son's 5th birthday present. Her friends and their kids booked as well as one of their family members and another friend. There are 6 or 7 cabins between the entire group. My niece's boyfriend wasn't able to go so she asked me if I wanted to go with them. For the price, I said HECK YEA!! :D

I paid for my room on July 16th. One July 20th the TA was notified of a problem with our booking. On July 22nd the TA told my niece that Carnival "accidentally" booked 3 people in a 2 person room. The TA said she was working with Carnival to get the situation fixed and would let us know something by Friday (24th). On Tuesday, niece finally called Carnival to see what the problem was. The Carnival person told her they don't "accidentally" book too many people to a room since their system won't allow it. Since the room was booked through a TA, Carnival couldn't tell her what thereal problem was. Next morning, she called the TA and had them call Carnival with her on the line to find out what's going on. Well, it seems when I paid for my part of the room, "no one" :rolleyes: told us that there was an additional charge. Since this wasn't paid, it left a balance on our room and bumped us to a "waiting list". Even though there are still rooms available on this sailing, the USCG won't allow any more passengers on the ship. I told the TA to refund my money, just make sure niece and her son get on that ship! It's his BD present and his friends will be on there.

I called the TA yesterday for an update. She said that Carnival won't refund my money because there's still a chance they will get all of us on the ship. :eek:

Here it is 3 days before sailing and we still don't know if we are going. It's a 12 hour drive to Miami for us and I already told my boss to cancel my vacation that I'd be at work next week. :mad:

Has anyone ever experienced or heard the USCG won't allow any more passengers on the ships?

We are just so frustrated with the TA (who IMO is to blame here for not telling us there was an additional fee which she claims she didn't know about).

Last October my niece booked a cruise for her family thru a TA on the Ecstasy for the August 3rd sailing. This was to be her son's 5th birthday present. Her friends and their kids booked as well as one of their family members and another friend. There are 6 or 7 cabins between the entire group. My niece's boyfriend wasn't able to go so she asked me if I wanted to go with them. For the price, I said HECK YEA!! :D

I paid for my room on July 16th. One July 20th the TA was notified of a problem with our booking. On July 22nd the TA told my niece that Carnival "accidentally" booked 3 people in a 2 person room. The TA said she was working with Carnival to get the situation fixed and would let us know something by Friday (24th). On Tuesday, niece finally called Carnival to see what the problem was. The Carnival person told her they don't "accidentally" book too many people to a room since their system won't allow it. Since the room was booked through a TA, Carnival couldn't tell her what thereal problem was. Next morning, she called the TA and had them call Carnival with her on the line to find out what's going on. Well, it seems when I paid for my part of the room, "no one" :rolleyes: told us that there was an additional charge. Since this wasn't paid, it left a balance on our room and bumped us to a "waiting list". Even though there are still rooms available on this sailing, the USCG won't allow any more passengers on the ship. I told the TA to refund my money, just make sure niece and her son get on that ship! It's his BD present and his friends will be on there.

I called the TA yesterday for an update. She said that Carnival won't refund my money because there's still a chance they will get all of us on the ship. :eek:

Here it is 3 days before sailing and we still don't know if we are going. It's a 12 hour drive to Miami for us and I already told my boss to cancel my vacation that I'd be at work next week. :mad:

Has anyone ever experienced or heard the USCG won't allow any more passengers on the ships?

We are just so frustrated with the TA (who IMO is to blame here for not telling us there was an additional fee which she claims she didn't know about).

Not sure about the additional fee part, but the limited bookings is somewhat common. Let me explain. The total number of passengers allowed on the ship is not based on the number of beds, but on the capacity of the lifeboats. There are more beds than lifeboat seats so that the line can offer 3rd/4th passengers in various cabin categories. The first and second passengers in a cabin pay more than the 3rd/4th, so it is in the cruise line's best interest to fill all cabins at double occupancy before allowing 3rd/4th bookings to fill the lifeboats with cabins still unsold. So, they will put a "hold" on 3rd/4th bookings until very shortly before sailing in the hope that they can either fill all cabins (and not let you sail as a 3rd passenger), or to get you to book another cabin (and pay the single supplement). I wouldn't worry about your niece and her son getting on, they are booked as the 1st/2nd guests so they should be clear.

I would look for a new TA in the future, one who specializes in cruising.

The TA must have and carry what's called "Errors and Ommissions" insurance.

The TA blew this one.

Be polite, be professional, let the TA know that THEY and not Carnival will be expected to make you financially whole.

Gatorfan - I hope everything works out for you. I have to respond only because I noticed your name at the bottom of your post. I, too, am a Terrie with an "e" at the end! I have only seen a few of these in my life (I'm 53) and just had to say hello to a fellow Terrie! :D

Gatorfan - I hope everything works out for you. I have to respond only because I noticed your name at the bottom of your post. I, too, am a Terrie with an "e" at the end! I have only seen a few of these in my life (I'm 53) and just had to say hello to a fellow Terrie! :D

Hello! You are the first Terrie I've "met". I actually added the E when I was 14.

Hello! You are the first Terrie I've "met". I actually added the E when I was 14.

Now that is funny that you added it. My dad thought that was how everyone spelled it so here I am! Growing up I hated it because no one could spell my first name or my last name (Dad is German).

I have actually only seen two others with it spelled that way. Actually found a kids bike license plate decades ago with it spelled with an "e" and had to buy it because there was never anything personalized that had it spelled correctly.

I am still not sure what happened. You either booked a cabin or not. Additional fee for what? But wish OP good luck anyways.

We still use TA, to get OBC. But it was never 10%.

Edited by guxu

The TA must have and carry what's called "Errors and Ommissions" insurance.

The TA blew this one.

Be polite, be professional, let the TA know that THEY and not Carnival will be expected to make you financially whole.

A TA does not have to carry E & O insurance. It is recommended, but not required. TA should fix this out of her own pocket if there is no E & O insurance.

This is a little confusing. When you paid to be added to the cabin you should have received an invoice listing all 3 passengers and paid in full. Having done this process before, I understand "how" it can get messed up but the invoice would have shown any price/payment discrepancies. Did you not get an invoice after the transaction that you can use to verify what was actually booked?

Maybe it happened because you're a Gator fan. GO NOLES!

Just kidding, couldn't resist. Lol! Seriously though, I hope everything works out for you.

Carnival worked their "Magic" and the TA is paying round trip airfare to fly us to Galveston on Sunday where we will board the Magic for a 7 day cruise. We are super excited this has worked out for us.

Confused. I thought you were supposed to drive 12 hours to Miami to sail on the Ecstasy. Did the entire group get switched to the Magic?

Edited by Tapi

Man that stinks hope it works out for the best for you.

Just a reminder why I will only book directly through Carnival. With all the constant rules, regulations and booking types changes it hard enough for Carnival employees to keep up with it all.

Wishing the best your groups way. !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best of luck to you, I hope you either get the cruise, or the money. If I ask for time off, they replace me, and if I needed to get that week back, I couldn't, so thank your boss either way it goes. But I would sue the TA. I too only use Carnival.