I'm sure this has been asked and answered

mikechass

but I wanted to come to this forum to see what you all thought.

My hubby and I have done 13 (I think) cruises, the first one ever was a 4 day Carnival cruise out of PC to see if we "liked" cruising. From there we have gone all over and enjoyed every cruise we have ever been on. Mostly RCCL and X.

We have two kids who also love cruising but have only done Royal as of yet. I was hoping to get a down to earth comparison from those of you with families as to what the differences are (good and bad) from cruising RCCL vs Carnival. My kids are older... I am looking at a couple weeks all at once or b2b in the Caribbean in the winter of 2017 (as a 40th bday present) They would at that time be 12(DD) and 16(DS). I'd love to visit Turks and Caicos, Grand Caymen, Jamaica, and Nassau all of which are islands the kids haven't seen yet. I am okay with doing two rooms, but if we could get a suite for the 4 of us that would work too, I like newer ships, bigger and with more to do for the kids. Wouldn't mind leaving out of PC or somewhere Florida wise.

I think that is my big beautiful plan as it stands right now.

Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info.

We sailed RCL a long time ago. Back then we didn't like the MDR food. Everything else was a lot of fun. Their shopping area has the very high ceiling, they do a Mardi Gras parade, the Captain rode his little scooter all over!

Back then parent had to sign each and every time a child did rock climbing, skating etc. Pain for me waiting in long lines all the time. They may have changed that now.

Just a thought, you would know your family better.

All those islands are beautiful and all, but a 14 day cruise(B2B-7d.) isn't for everyone...especially port intensive. I have seen adults who are exhausted and just "wanting to get home" after 1 week at sea. You are talking about all the nice ports and everything they have to offer but I am just wondering, will your kids feel the same way or are you going to be "dragging" them off the ship when all they want to do is play some game, hang out with some friends, or worse yet, would rather be home.

Sounds great if everyone buys in

p.s.

for best selection of prices and itineraries I would be looking at departures from POM or Port Everglades. You might consider few days at the beach before and/or after with a shorter cruise combination to break things up

Cannot give you a comparison for kids on Carnival vs RCCL because we have never been on RCCL with our kids. However, if you want to go to Grand Turk, it will have to be on a Carnival or another Ship under the Carnival umbrella. Carnival built the pier and the loungers on the beach area around the port are Carnival owned so only Carnival ships under the Carnival umbrella can go there.

In 2017, the new Carnival Vista will be porting out of Miami and will have all the bells and whistles that Carnival has to offer.

The Vista has suites for 4 but you can also book 2 connecting cabins and if balconies, can also ask to have the dividers opened so you have one long one.

The Magic will be out of PC in 2017 and is a very nice ship with lots to do but does not have everything that the Vista will have.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much.

Nic6318, we just did a 19 day trip this past winter with the kids. They loved every minute. They don't make friends on cruises which I never understood but they like to be with us, we all love great food, the cruise shows and while we had a very port heavy couple weeks this past January/Feb, we usually just looked around the island then grabbed a cab to a beach to lay around and swim when we wanted to cool off.

The kids love it, so a 14 day trip isn't too much of a worry.

Thanks for the hints about Miami or PE, I appreciate it. I am not planning on booking just yet but wanted some things to compare with.

CruisinpsychRN The food in the MDR isn't stellar (my cruise line of choice is X but the kids would be bored) and you still need to fill out a waiver but only once per cruise. Thanks for the comparison.

Our family's last cruise was over Thanksgiving week on the Breeze. My DDs (13 and 15) had fun going to the 3D Theatre, ropes course, Bonsai Sushi (specialty restaurant) and everything in general. Breeze is a newer ship, very pretty with additional eating spots like Guy's Burgers. We had a cove cabin for the four of us which was fine, but you could get an interior across the hall for the kids and then you would have two bathrooms for the four of you.

It's been awhile since we sailed on RC, but it was a great experience. We just love having a balcony and with Carnival we can do that affordably. Also the staff on Carnival are generally friendly and welcoming. That's important to us, especially in the MDR.

Hope you find what you are looking for and have a wonderful cruise!

We have sailed on RC & Carnival. Only Carnival with our "kids" who were really more like young adults at the time. They enjoyed the ports more than the Carnival ship. Mom & Dad were paying so we booked the most cost effective cruise we could find! It wasn't a bad cruise and we all had a good time. However we later booked RC FoS. l admit that I kept thinking how much my kids would have loved the rock climbing wall and the flow rider.

I have primarily sailed RCCL and have done a week on Carnival Magic. I would not hesitate to go on one of the newer Carnival ships with kids the ages of yours. I really enjoyed Magic. Like RCCL some of the food was better than others. The cabins and service are comparable. There are things that I like better about Royal and things that I like better about Carnival.

I love the ropes course on Carnival Magic, which is moving from Texas to Florida. It's a nice ship - has Red Frog Pub, billiard table, ping pong, mini golf, Serenity adult area and the outdoor lanai on deck 5. Waterworks is fun with the slides. The older ships just have one slide, but it's fun. Age 11 was the last time our son used the kids' programs, so I don't have any info on that. They do have teen dance clubs, though - our daughters checked those out but it was so long ago 2003-2008. Carnival ships have self laundry facilities if you want to use them. I think we've only used them a couple of times. You can also send it out to be done.

I liked the rock climbing on the Royal Caribbean ships. Some of them have the surfing simulator (I didn't feel my knees would be up to that) and zip line (cool, but I'd rather be in the jungle). I would have liked to ice skate, but we never seemed to be there when it was open - always closed for rehearsal. No self serve laundry, but you can always send it out if need be. I think RCCL has nicer pool areas.

I think the food is pretty similar in quality, although I like CCL's omelet station. If you sail a ship with Guy's Burgers, those are good.

As far as cabins go, we always booked 2 cabins next door to each other so we would have 2 bathrooms and some privacy for ourselves. We have 2 girls & 1 boy, so one bathroom would not have been sufficient. We did window or interior cabins when traveling with the kids.

We have sailed the Magic twice out of Galveston with our two boys who are now 15 and 17. They were never bored (unlike my wife at times...). Prior to that, we sailed the Triump once..no comparison.

Our first Magic cruise we booked a Cloud 9 Spa balcony for 4. The second Magic cruise we booked one Cloud 9 Spa balcony for 2 and one interior room directly across the hall. The two boys stayed in there. It worked out great as they only came back to sleep, where I on the other hand spent a couple hours each day on the balcony, lost in my own thoughts. So the boys had their own bathroom as did my wife, as given I was only one level down from the Spa, I would always go up to the Spa locker room (not the regular gym locker room) and used those shower. Each shower stall is about 40 square feet...and endless supply of towels!

And believe it our not, those two rooms were cheaper than a Balcony that sleeps 4.

If looking at suites you would want the RCCL or X, as another posted the only advantage for suites on Carnival is priority boarding (and sometimes that is lacking) and disembarkation (again can be hit/miss)... and a large cabin/balcony. Can't beat R/X for suite perks, especially higher cats.

On Carnival I would look at 2 cabins, look for adjoining cabins and if wanting balconies the same... that way you can have one big balcony!

The kids I think would love one of the newer Carnival ships and they do cater to them but if they don't make friends and do enjoy hanging with mom and dad then R/X might do well also.

We have done all three, our kids when young loved Carnival, when older - last cruise we all took together they were 20/16 - it was "OK". We now mostly do X but have a cruised booked on Carnival this Feb... port is 15 minutes from home, was a great deal and goes to 3 ports we have never been to.

Have a wonderful 40th BD cruise!

What about the Oasis class of ships- have you been on them? Your kids would have a blast (and so would you). The ports stink, but the ship is the destination, IMO. Although, Labadee (private beach in Haiti) is awesome! I think Oasis is coming to Port Canaveral in 2016. Or you could do a B2B on Breeze or Vista when she comes to Miami.

We haven't done either yet but have the new Carnival Vista booked for summer 2016 and can hardly wait to sail her. We're also waiting for the RCCL summer schedule to be released for 2017, so we can try their newest ship Harmony of the Seas, (Oasis class but with water slides). Maybe you could try a week on both of the new ships if schedules work out. I know it's probably a long shot but maybe something to consider. We've always done 2 connecting rooms for the 4 of us (2 teenagers) and love it. The kids like the privacy and so do we. Just my $.02

Thanks everyone!

We have done Oasis, and those ports have happened WAY to often for us but you are right, the ship is the destination.

We are from Winnipeg, so winter is VERY long and VERY cold, so the good thing with going to places we have all done over and over is that its still the tropic's and we aren't lugging hockey bags and scraping windows from ice and snow!

I like the idea of two rooms. Honestly, we have always done the interior with the "bunk" style beds. There would be NO sharing! Son sleeps like a dream, daughter is more like a starfish!

We have taken the kids on FoS and AoS so they have done the rock wall and ice skating (again they both play hockey so skating is an every day thing for them)

I think my son would looooove the Guy's Burger place.

Because of our repeat business we are given a lot of perks on RCCL which of course is why I like going with them. We get priority boarding, free laundry, free internet etc. Its really wonderful but I think the prices on Carnival is what is making me think we should try it.

Thanks everyone! You have given me a LOT of think about!

I appreciate the time you took to answer!

Safe Travels

Chass.