Early Del Rio Legacy vs the Sheehan Legacy

mianmike

Does someone have to cruise other cruise lines to know what there product is like and what they offer their passengers?

I've cruised on NCL, Celebrity, Crystal, Princess, Costa, Royal Caribbean, plus a few that are no longer in business and some expedition lines, but I have researched Holland America and Carnival and I know what their lines offers without stepping foot on one of their ships and I know that I wouldn't choose to cruise with either of them.

I think in today's time, with the internet, most folks do a lot of research before choosing where to spend their vacation dollars. There are many sites, like Cruise Critic, with reviews and other information, where people can get insights on what the other cruise lines offer.

How do you learn about the various cruise line changes if they do as NCL does? That is make changes and don't tell anyone about it until you are booked or are on the ship.

The wealth of mis-information that gets posted on CC can also be very misleading.

Edited by swedish weave

I find sailing on a variety of lines provides a lot of perspective not to mention the first hand experience to actually speak about those lines and be educated on them. Each line has its strong points and weaknesses and only by first hand experience do you discover that. Likewise with food and service, both of which can be very subjective. Without trying out various lines first hand you will really never know if that food and service on line x, y, or z is far better suited to you compared to that line you have been loyal to. No brochure or internet site can provide that kind of customization. There is nothing like the actual experience as each line has its own nuances that you will never learn about from reading a blog or internet site. Those are mostly second hand opinions from strangers or marketing hype from the company. Good for basics such as discovering if a line is too luxurious or basic for your taste, but not much more. Nothing like first hand experience!

How do you learn about the various cruise line changes if they do as NCL does? That is make changes and don't tell anyone about it until you are booked or are on the ship.

The wealth of mis-information that gets posted on CC can also be very misleading.

I know not everyone can do this, but I enjoy revisiting lines after a couple years to see how they have changed. That is what happened with NCL. I pretty much wrote them off a few years ago after several mediocre cruises then sailed on the GETAWAY in January. I was impressed so I booked two more cruises on the PEARL and EPIC. All enjoyable cruises. Now there are a lot of changes that don't particularly sit well with me so I will likely retreat from NCL for a while. Well maybe one more on the ESCAPE maiden crossing and see how that goes. That is the great thing about competition, there is a lot to choose from out there. Something for everyone.

Who cares whether Sheehan or Del Rio are "better" or "worse" than the other. That seems like utter red herring material. Sheehan's gone. Whether he was good or bad, or better or worse, than the current bunch running NCL is irrelevant.

What matters is what is happening RIGHT NOW. And right now it's pretty clear that NCL is changing and not for the better. That it changed before (if it was for the worse -- I don't know) is even more of an indictment of the current bunch -- they should have been fixing the mess that Sheehan (supposedly) made and instead they've doubled down with the cuts and price hikes.

History is always relevant. To compare the "shock" of the previous leadership change to the current one gives perspective and context.

I find myself in a situation I was in back a few years ago. We sailed exclusively Carnival. Bob Dickinson retired and Carnival brought on a new CEO. After a few cruises under the new CEO, we noticed the product changing and not for the better. Even though we were platinum, we began to try other lines to see if any fit our taste better than Carnival. We cruised on Allure (RCI) and the Norwegian Star all within a few weeks of one another. We fell in LOVE with freestyle cruising and everything NCL had to offer. Sadly, with all the recent changes being made, that imho are not for the better, I have decided to branch out again. A few weeks ago I made a return to Carnival, and this fall we have canceled out Escape cruise and are giving MSC Divina a try. The Yacht Club fare was very affordable, and with MSC's current promotion of matching your loyalty status from other lines, we submitted our Carnival VIFP information and our status was matched by MSC. I'm extremely nervous based on some of the reviews I've read about food and announcements, but I seen high praises for the entertainment and the ship. So we shall see...

Edited by Hendricks Clan

I find myself in a situation I was in back a few years ago. We sailed exclusively Carnival. Bob Dickinson retired and Carnival brought on a new CEO. After a few cruises under the new CEO, we noticed the product changing and not for the better. Even though we were platinum, we began to try other lines to see if any fit our taste better than Carnival. We cruised on Allure (RCI) and the Norwegian Star all within a few weeks of one another. We fell in LOVE with freestyle cruising and everything NCL had to offer. Sadly, with all the recent changes being made, that imho are not for the better, I have decided to branch out again. A few weeks ago I made a return to Carnival, and this fall we have canceled out Escape cruise and are giving MSC Divina a try. The Yacht Club fare was very affordable, and with MSC's current promotion of matching your loyalty status from other lines, we submitted our Carnival VIFP information and our status was matched by MSC. I'm extremely nervous based on some of the reviews I've read about food and announcements, but I seen high praises for the entertainment and the ship. So we shall see...

I really enjoyed the DIVINA. Strong points were the ship itself (gorgeous), the spacious pool decks, the gym, the entertainment, and the cabins. Food and service were spotty but I bet they will be greatly improved this season. I can't wait for the new MSC SEASIDE. Absolutely amazing looking ship. I also did the loyalty match. Sent MSC my Elite credentials with Princess and they gave me Black status, their highest level. Pretty cool program! If you search the MSC board I wrote a pretty extensive review of DIVINA with a link to tons of photos I took.

Anyway I think you are going to love it, especially in the Yacht Club.

I really enjoyed the DIVINA. Strong points were the ship itself (gorgeous), the spacious pool decks, the gym, the entertainment, and the cabins. Food and service were spotty but I bet they will be greatly improved this season. I can't wait for the new MSC SEASIDE. Absolutely amazing looking ship. I also did the loyalty match. Sent MSC my Elite credentials with Princess and they gave me Black status, their highest level. Pretty cool program! If you search the MSC board I wrote a pretty extensive review of DIVINA with a link to tons of photos I took.

Anyway I think you are going to love it, especially in the Yacht Club.

Thanks for the info and I'll be sure to check out your review. For our Escape cruise we paid roughly $1,600pp so when we decided to cancel and decided on MSC we saw the Yacht Club for $1,850pp we jumped on it! The Seaside does look amazing! Due to the loyalty match program, I already fill like MSC appreciates my business so looking forward to trying it!

Edited by Hendricks Clan

Due to the loyalty match program, I already fill like MSC appreciates my business so looking forward to trying it!

I think it was so smart of them to do this. Since they are still relatively unknown in North America this program will give them market exposure to very frequent cruisers who obviously have the time and means to sail often. Exactly the customer any cruise line would want. They just need to deliver on the product side or they will be a one hit wonder and these folks will go back to their original line. Personally I would sail again on DIVINA in a heartbeat, and the loyalty status match program was just the push I needed.

This is one hilarious thread, please keep em' coming.Very entertaining.

To the few who may understand why I am writing this. CHEERS...

We do our best to entertain the troops!

If you think this thread is entertaining you should have seen the one deleted earlier today. Now THAT was entertaining and good for a laugh.

Edited by eroller

I just found this article from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/jobs/12boss.html?_r=0

The last three paragraphs are interesting.

I learned two lessons from the Renaissance bankruptcy. One is not to discount the importance of travel agents. Every business organization that has tried to marginalize them has paid a price. Many people thought that the Internet would eliminate all brick-and-mortar businesses, and travel agents were a symbol for them at that time. But travel agencies have evolved, and cruises are a complex product. Our travel-agent accounts are our lifeline.

The second lesson is, innovate or evaporate. But it’s just as bad to innovate too much as it is to do too little. As with anything, you need balance.

I’ve also learned that there’s no substitute for honesty. If you’re honest during good times and bad, people may disagree with you, but they’ll always trust you. I’d rather have someone’s trust than just about anything else.

:confused:

Found this interesting... http://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-nclh-earnings-conference-200040754.html

FDR: "On our last call, I discussed weaving the Oceania and Regent market strategies into the Norwegian brand, along with changing the conversation with consumers from one focused on low prices to one focused on high value. This time, I'd like to focus on another related strategy, that being creating scarcity of offerings to drive higher yields."

Edited by Hendricks Clan

Found this interesting... http://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-nclh-earnings-conference-200040754.html

FDR: "On our last call, I discussed weaving the Oceania and Regent market strategies into the Norwegian brand, along with changing the conversation with consumers from one focused on low prices to one focused on high value. This time, I'd like to focus on another related strategy, that being creating scarcity of offerings to drive higher yields."

Translation: Kick thousands of people off the cruises they have already booked and give them crappy alternatives.

"Conversation with consumers" - that's corporate BS at its absolute best.

Conversations are two-way things - a feature noticeably lacking in the past few months.

How can you create scarcity whilst pumping out a new 4000 pax ship every year? In 3 years that is 6000 additional sales to make weekly. The only way to accomplish such a plan is through deceit. They want to create the illusion of scarcity while selling more cabins. It is a contradiction. Neo Corporate Linguistics. In 1984 it was called double speak.

I,m still waiting for the high value, so far all I've seen is higher prices.

Thank you for that. It's troubling yet explains a lot about the recent price/cost changes... still waiting for something to explain the crappy customer notification practices and website glitches, though

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-nclh-earnings-conference-200040754.html

FDR: This time, I'd like to focus on another related strategy, that being creating scarcity of offerings to drive higher yields."

Sounds like a strategy of deceptive yield management to create urgency. Make it look like there are only one or two cabins available at a certain yield/promotion when in fact there are many. Basically trick people into booking right away thinking they are getting the last cabin on a great promo. Buyer beware!

Edited by eroller

How can you create scarcity whilst pumping out a new 4000 pax ship every year? In 3 years that is 6000 additional sales to make weekly. The only way to accomplish such a plan is through deceit. They want to create the illusion of scarcity while selling more cabins. It is a contradiction. Neo Corporate Linguistics. In 1984 it was called double speak.

I have a feeling we've seen the end of new builds once these last contracts are filled. FDR doesn't believe in it, he wants the same money out of his customers without increasing the number of accommodations.

Have you been on a Norwegian Cruise since the changes have been made? Why cancel a cruise when in reality you don't know if the changes are going to bug you as much while you're on board? I see everybody who has a beef with the new changes should try a Norwegian cruise and see how you feel? If you still don't like it then stop cruising Norwegian

Have you been on a Norwegian Cruise since the changes have been made? Why cancel a cruise when in reality you don't know if the changes are going to bug you as much while you're on board? I see everybody who has a beef with the new changes should try a Norwegian cruise and see how you feel? If you still don't like it then stop cruising Norwegian

Yes, when the changes started I had 4 cruises booked, one of which, the Epic in May, was past final payment.

I was on the Epic during food taken to your cabin ban, room service fee, gratuities added to specialty restaurants higher DSC etc, all put in place after final payment.

I enjoyed the cruise (how could i not, I was in the Med) but the next Med cruise I take will be back on MSC.

Of the other 3 I had booked, NCL cancelled one, I did not rebook.

One I can't cancel because I have several family members and friends booked. and the 3rd is not until Sep 2016 so I am waiting until closer to final payment to see if things improve before I decide if I will cancel.

Lois

Edited by electro

One way is to create very different trips that do not repeat. That works on Oceania and Regent but how on NCL? Ships do the same trips week after week. The new ships are too big to do much else. Just think of a world cruise on the breakaway, 180 days, you could not pay me to go.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Yes I have. What is your problem with people disagreeing with what NCL is doing? Every time something changes that takes something away that was previously available, you hail the move as if its the best thing since slice bread. I started looking around almost immediately once FDR came on as one of his first moves was to eliminate interline rates. When I inquired about an interline rate I was told by my PCC, that I needed to book directly with my airlines HR office or ID90. Well thats all good and well if the rate is offered. Once its eliminated no matter how many times I click on NCL on ID90 its not going to give me an interline rate. When I can sail other lines at a vastly reduced rate, NCL becomes uncompetitive for me especially when you add in all the other changes/cutbacks. I'm starting to think you work for NCL and get paid to pump the company's sunshine on every topic thats discussed here.

Edited by Hendricks Clan