Key West - what to do?

Luv my furbaby

There is a shuttle that is hop-on hop-off that goes around the island. Their "home base" as it were is within a few blocks of where the shuttle to the ship will drop you. It's only a few bucks IIRC. Totally worth it. They'll point out all the notable sites (Furthest point south, Hemigway House, Mile 0, etc.) My grandfather and I also went parasailing with this company http://parawestparasailing.com/ They were awesome.

Hemingway House -play with polydactyl kitties!

Kermits- chocolate dipped key lime pie pops

Conch Republic Seafood Company- conch fritters

Captain Tony's Saloon -the Hanging Tree or donate a bra

Get a picture at US 1 mile marker 0

Almost everything you'll want to see in Key west is within walking distance from the ship. My recommendation would be to walk along the wharf starting at A&B Lobster house and ending at Dante's Pool and Restaurant. Lots of bars and hangouts along the wharf. And, of course, Duval Street, up one side, down, the other.

That's pretty much a perfect recommendation:)

Almost everything you'll want to see in Key west is within walking distance from the ship. The southern most point is a must but it would be a good walk. Be prepared for a photo op line...

Yes, that's exactly what we did. We came all that way and there was no way I was leaving without touching that monument! LOL! :p

It was a walking day for us, but it turned out to be one of the hottest days I've ever experienced in any port, probably due to the high humidity. Just be prepared, and stay hydrated. :)

Rent a scooter...much more fun than biking or walking and you can see a ton. Fun bars include Irish Kevins and the Bull (top level is clothing optional). Soo many fun things to do there.

Many people here are seriously injured on scooters. Just yesterday, someone was airlifted to Miami with head injuries. I do not recommend renting them unless you are experienced. Every day I see tourists on scooters acting like they are in an amusement park. Remember you are driving in a busy city with trucks, cars and other traffic so please be careful, or better yet, walk or rent a bike.

Many people here are seriously injured on scooters. Just yesterday, someone was airlifted to Miami with head injuries. I do not recommend renting them unless you are experienced. Every day I see tourists on scooters acting like they are in an amusement park. Remember you are driving in a busy city with trucks, cars and other traffic so please be careful, or better yet, walk or rent a bike.

I could not agree more.

Mike:)

I could not agree more.

Mike:)

I gotta side with this also. I do not ever recommend the renting of scooters. Scooters and the mind on vacation do not go well together. Tourists on scooters have earned the name "touron" around here. ;)

Does anyone have a review of the Schooner Wharf Bar? location and the pics I have seen online are intriguing.

We will be in Key West on the 20th, and so far we have gift shopping and Irish Kevin's on the agenda. We were at Irish Kevin's in 2011, and DH loved the place. The guitar/singer was doing contemporary music with made up lyrics, not raunchy, but sometimes not too PC. We had a great time, and are looking forward to going again. We also went to Hog's Breath and Sloppy Joe's. Those 2 for use are a been there - done that. Nothing so great that we fell the need to go again.

Edited by lnuzzo

Not that I am not a fan of Hemingway- but can I see the cats without paying the $13.00 admission? I have other plans for the day. But I'd walk down to the house to see the cats! Museum doesn't look all that interesting to me...

You have to pay to see the cats. That is mainly why I go. There is a wall surrounding the house and gardens so you can't walk around without going past the ticket booth. There are many cats and they are throughout the house and gardens. The gardens are pretty cool to look at, too. If you haven't been it's worth it to pay the money and go at least once. You don't have to take the tour. I have never done the audio tour. I just walk to the different rooms mainly looking for the cats.

Edited by jacksmycat

Darn- may have to pay. Are they skittish or friendly? Or, tired of people chasing them that they hide?

They are not skittish nor do they try to run away. They are used to people. I petted them and they allowed it. I wouldn't chase them. They usually just lay around. I got some close up pictures of several of them.

Does anyone have a review of the Schooner Wharf Bar? location and the pics I have seen online are intriguing.

Schooner Wharf isn't bad if you like quirky little bars. Personally, I think the place is dirty and I know the history of many of the clients (not good) but as a tourist, you might find the place fun.

Schooner Wharf isn't bad if you like quirky little bars. Personally, I think the place is dirty and I know the history of many of the clients (not good) but as a tourist, you might find the place fun.

Agree, it is dirty and I'd never eat there. However, what we like about it is the proximity to the Marina. If you go in the afternoon, you can see the fishing charters come in and watch them clean the catches for the customers. The Tarpon flock for the guts and it is quite a show. Then I go back and have a Stoli..............:D