Porch: Raw Bar & Seafood

TexSea

We are booked on the Reflection for a transatlantic in April 2016, wondering how fresh seafood is after several days at sea, and do they restock perishables, like seafood at every port or just at the beginning of a cruise?

I am asking because on a recent TA (on Royal Caribbean) the sushi was tasting pretty bad by the end of the cruise.

Looks like this was answered in post #47 above.

I've always enjoyed the sushi even on day 12 of a 14-day cruise. Tasted good and fresh.

Edited by Grandmaanne7
added info

Looks like this was answered in post #47 above.

I've always enjoyed the sushi even on day 12 of a 14-day cruise. Tasted good and fresh.

I missed that, thanks. :)

I am glad your experience with sushi was better than ours has been recently. We haven't been on a Celebrity cruise for a few years , but I do remember the sushi being excellent every day of our 12 days.

On Royal...either Chops or Portofino served what I thought woukd be a seafood towrr...it was tall, great tasting seafood....Been awhile since I had it..sorry no details other than it was fabulous!

so where will the paninis go?

That is a little disappointing as I had pictured raw oysters, among other delicacies, on a seafood tower. I highly doubt that they would be good after being frozen. Still, I will hope for some seafood of any kind at the Porch! :)

We went to a brunch last Sunday and there was a raw bar. The shrimp had previously been frozen and if you add cocktail sauce, horseradish and/or lemon juice, it tastes real good. The other items included locally harvested fresh little necks and a variety of local oysters on the half-shell. I have never had thawed little necks or oysters on a raw bar.

Hi there,

We currently are piloting a new Porch concept onboard Reflection and Silhouette. However, since nothing is final, we don't have menus to share at this time. As soon as we learn more, we'll share information with you all. Thanks!

Wow! I, for one, hope this new concept sticks - at least long enough for our Christmas cruise. Thanks, Celebrity! This is promising news!

guess I am the odd one out. Even though we love seafood I would hate to see the porch be $25.00 pp. I loved eating there when I was on the Silhouette. Making it so pricy adds another specialty restaurant fee, $5.00 was no worry but this is getting a little rich for my blood. Will wait and see how it goes, we are on the Reflection soon so will see for ourselves.

guess I am the odd one out. Even though we love seafood I would hate to see the porch be $25.00 pp. I loved eating there when I was on the Silhouette. Making it so pricy adds another specialty restaurant fee, $5.00 was no worry but this is getting a little rich for my blood. Will wait and see how it goes, we are on the Reflection soon so will see for ourselves.

Please do post an update when you return. Would love some actual feedback or at least pictures of the menu/plates. Enjoy your cruise!

We went to a brunch last Sunday and there was a raw bar. The shrimp had previously been frozen and if you add cocktail sauce, horseradish and/or lemon juice, it tastes real good. The other items included locally harvested fresh little necks and a variety of local oysters on the half-shell. I have never had thawed little necks or oysters on a raw bar.

So, for $25 what do you get? Shrimp, clams and oysters? How many pieces? Is the shrimp the same stuff they serve for room service? That stuff is pretty nasty (IMO). Do they have chilled crab or lobster? How about ceviche? Caviar? Thanks!

So, for $25 what do you get? Shrimp, clams and oysters? How many pieces? Is the shrimp the same stuff they serve for room service? That stuff is pretty nasty (IMO). Do they have chilled crab or lobster? How about ceviche? Caviar? Thanks!

The way I read it, he had the raw bar on land not on a cruise.

I am boarding Reflection on Friday this week, I will aim to get as much info about this as I can, along with photos, and menus, I will post here, and on my blog, link below. Sounds interesting for sure!

Thanks very much! Enjoy your cruise!

I am boarding Reflection on Friday this week, I will aim to get as much info about this as I can, along with photos, and menus, I will post here, and on my blog, link below. Sounds interesting for sure!

Thanks very much Louise! Looking forward to your opinion and pictures. Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks, can't wait to see what is on that menu! Also, if you have a chance, could you possible post the current Bistro on Five menu?

Have a wonderful trip!

I am also looking forward to your report! Thanks.

We are just off the Reflection, here is the menu. We didn't try it, as it didn't fit in with our schedule, there were some folk there but it was never more than a quarter full anytime we were past

dc12c56d20ccfca5a1c0068716ee4159.jpg

And the general view

5d602383faf3f5681c9ef0330d8f41d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menu is interesting but DH is allergic to most seafood

They do have a burger and a few other choices...but not worth a $25 upcharge so he can join me there...

we'll be looking elsewhere for the Paninis we used to enjoy up there..

"Choose"? For $25 I'll be asking for one of everything!!!! :D

But, my tummy can only hold so much without me feeling horrible for the rest of the day/night. Might have to go twice, our upcoming Reflection cruise is 16 days, lots of time for two visits! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk