Cancelled cruises announcement - Epic, Jade, Spirit, Star, Sun

noche_caliente

Where have you found these sailings. Was there any pricing? Please give us a website so we can take a peak. Thanks.

What I did was to turn the NCL announcement about the dates of the "Asia & Australia" sailings into a spreadsheet for my wife to look at and we were astonished at what was going to be available.

We are now waiting for details.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Kiwi by Choice; Canuck Fan!! :) :D

I am a platinum member of NCL.We booked the Haven for Nov 2016. It took days to get through to their "rescheduling" line. No one else on the regular booking line would help us, We could not reschedule on the two cruises they offered due to work conflicts. They were indifferent and customer service could care less when we called after we had to cancel. The rep would not even look up my account to see how loyal we have been. Neither I or my family will ever cruise NCL again. I am so upset with the treatment.

I am a platinum member of NCL.We booked the Haven for Nov 2016. It took days to get through to their "rescheduling" line. No one else on the regular booking line would help us, We could not reschedule on the two cruises they offered due to work conflicts. They were indifferent and customer service could care less when we called after we had to cancel. The rep would not even look up my account to see how loyal we have been. Neither I or my family will ever cruise NCL again. I am so upset with the treatment.

The rep when I called was very indifferent -- almost robotic. The option to rebook 9-12 months early doesn't work for us, and the rep said there was nothing she could do, so I just cancelled.

Where have you found these sailings. Was there any pricing? Please give us a website so we can take a peak. Thanks.

What I did was to turn the NCL announcement about the dates of the "Asia & Australia" sailings into a spreadsheet for my wife to look at and we were astonished at what was going to be available.

We are now waiting for details.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Kiwi by Choice; Canuck Fan!! :) :D

The latest advertising email from Norwegian says booking etc will be available from 24th August.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Kiwi by Choice; Canuck Fan!!

I was thinking the exact same thing. Cuba will open up pretty soon even with the Republican congress, most want the embargo removed.

Hey Ellen:

Says you ...............

You're just hot to get down to HaBana and buy one of those '57 CheBies. LOL

John

PS

If you see a '50s Buick or Cadilac, get it for me... LOL

I have just looked closely at the 2016-17 cruises of the Star and I think they are going to be heavily booked very quickly. We will be making some decisions very soon about visiting lots of new places.

At last some slightly cheaper air fares!! :)

Mike & Pauline

Poms by Birth; Kiwis by Choice

We are going to look at booking the Star's return to Venice from Singapore March 2017....fantastic ports some we have been to some we haven't ;)... it means changing a few things like cancelling a cruise and making our Xmas visit to our sons in Edinburgh an Easter "ish" one....... but nothing too difficult..

Haven't cruise with NCL before...plenty with Princess, PO UK and RCCL so a change will be nice..... :D:D bring on the itineraries please Mr NCL :):D.

cheers Shiona

Lololol just saw your post about a release around 24 Aug.... just our luck we will be on Sun Princess.... guess the free internet will come in handy checking out the NCL deals..............lolololololol

Edited by badgerbill
add

The latest advertising email from Norwegian says booking etc will be available from 24th August.

Mike

Pom by Birth; Kiwi by Choice; Canuck Fan!!

I am booked on a cruise out of Tampa in Dec 2016. Called our TA and confirmed the email I got is correct Aug 17-24 for people who HAVE a reservation will be able to book the new cruises or something of equal. Others will wait to Aug 24. So this gives the people who got cancelled a week to book ahead of the public. Also if you do not book by Aug 24 your cruise will automatically be cancelled and a refund will be issued.

Edited by shout19661966

Snippet from the news release: "...Norwegian Jewel will sail two new 14-day Panama Canal sailings from Los Angeles and Miami in February 2016..."

I'm just curious. Were Norwegian Jewel cruises in Jan/Feb 2016 canceled to do these two new cruises? Were there any other cruises in EARLY 2016 (Jan-May) canceled?

We were booked on Star for October 2016. Received the NCL letter (we booked directly-no TA) and our options are Western Caribbean out of Houston or any other sailing until April 2017 "to protect our cruisefare".

So, I should fly to Houston from where I am in south Florida where there are 3 ports within 2 hours?

We chose this sailing as we like the ports.

They are offering a $50 per stateroom onboard credit-how generous!!! That might pay for some of the taxes on a flight to Houston:)

We are cancelling (it is cancelled, what am I saying?!) this booking and that will be our last NCL cruise until this line

gets it's act together.

I do not blame them for going to a new market. This had to take much time and planning, so why the wait until August 17 to share new sailings?

We are booking similar itinerary with RCL which I promised myself not to sail with again.

You know these guys are doing business in the USA, from Miami, and screwing a whole lot of passengers from the USA. If I was pissed off enough because Del Rio did it to me, I'd be writing to members of the House and Senate Commerce Committees and pitching a fit that NCL is doing this for dollars, not operational requirements. Its one thing to have a ship sink, or engines break down, but this is driven by corporate money issues, and is affecting literally thousands of NCL passengers. Just something I would do!:mad: The government has had its eye on the cruise industry in the past year, and maybe NCL corporate would feel the heat if a few thousand passengers wrote their elected officials.;)

You know these guys are doing business in the USA, from Miami, and screwing a whole lot of passengers from the USA. If I was pissed off enough because Del Rio did it to me, I'd be writing to members of the House and Senate Commerce Committees and pitching a fit that NCL is doing this for dollars, not operational requirements. Its one thing to have a ship sink, or engines break down, but this is driven by corporate money issues, and is affecting literally thousands of NCL passengers. Just something I would do!:mad: The government has had its eye on the cruise industry in the past year, and maybe NCL corporate would feel the heat if a few thousand passengers wrote their elected officials.;)

But I'm not really sure this is an industry wide problem. I see people's posts about how this sort of thing happens all the time, if you don't like it book with another company etc but then I tried to find what other companies are doing on this scale. There just aren't any. And when I look to see what other companies have done when they charter a ship and canceled cruises- well I found a celebrity cruise that was canceled a year out . Customers got $300 obc and $500 obc, price protection for a wide array of alternative choices and if they didn't like the price protection offers they could take their $300/$500 and book ANY darned cruise they wanted. I guess this was the horrible thing celebrity did on a canceled cruise. So if the NCL offer stands at what was sent in the emails, well I'm pretty sure it would be an industry first. That's why I'm holding out till the 17th to wait and see what kind of business decision they will make before I cancel my canceled cruise and ask for my $ back.

If their emailed offer stands at their word it may be a go ahead for others to follow their lead. In that case the consumer certainly will need further protection and oversight on the cruise industry. Their gutsy decision might in the end create more consumer protection for all cruisers.

Edited by littlelulu01

The thing I don't understand is why the federal government or one or more state attorney general is not investigating NCL for continuing to sell cruises (and collect deposits on them) right up to the formal announcement that they were going to be cancelled. Why is this not fraud? They knew they were selling a product that did not exist.

The thing I don't understand is why the federal government or one or more state attorney general is not investigating NCL for continuing to sell cruises (and collect deposits on them) right up to the formal announcement that they were going to be cancelled. Why is this not fraud? They knew they were selling a product that did not exist.

Really good point.

Does anyone know or have an idea which government agency oversees cruise lines? I would think that would be the best place to report this suspicious behavior by NCL. Maybe also the AG in Florida....I don't really know. Do we have some legal eagles here?

IMHO, it is my right as a consumer to report anything I believe/suspect is a company's poor, possibly illegal treatment of consumers. Flame away if you will.....;) :rolleyes:

Any help is appreciated.

Safe cruising all.......:)

The political will (read: media coverage, or briefcases of cash under the table) just isn't there.

Better play would get media like USA Today involved.

Worked for the food-leaving-the-dining-room thing, I think.

Really good point.

Does anyone know or have an idea which government agency oversees cruise lines? I would think that would be the best place to report this suspicious behavior by NCL. Maybe also the AG in Florida....I don't really know. Do we have some legal eagles here?

IMHO, it is my right as a consumer to report anything I believe/suspect is a company's poor, possibly illegal treatment of consumers. Flame away if you will.....;) :rolleyes:

Any help is appreciated.

No legal background here but I've done a lot of reading since my cruise was canceled the day after I purchased it and looks like the consumer has absolutely zero protection. They are at the total mercy of the cruise lines and the cruise lines have zero obligation to do anything but give the consumer the $ back. The $50 "goodwill" offer- well it's the standard that NCL has been giving for years. Same offer that people got even in 2007 when NCL cancelled a cruise so Rosie odonnel could charter.

Have also learned that the other major companies are MUCH more generous with reasonable allowed changes. I've not read one instance of a company continuing to take bookings and payments up till the day they cancel a cruise. Have not found one instance of a cruise line offer for a canceled cruise to cruise a year earlier or forget it. So the official offers from NCL are bad business but looks like they have every right to do so. Can't find an instance of a cruise line canceling on this scale so I think NCL is an industry first and depending on how they handle it it may prompt some regulatory change because no it's not right to sell something you will never deliver.

Edited by littlelulu01

The political will (read: media coverage, or briefcases of cash under the table) just isn't there.

Better play would get media like USA Today involved.

Worked for the food-leaving-the-dining-room thing, I think.

And it's not the 17th yet so really no story unless NCL follows through with the emailed offers. If come the 17th they won't budge and allow reasonable changes then there is a story that can be backed up by some valid examples.

I think it's prudent to at least have a plan come the 17th for what I think is reasonable. I've looked at alternative sailings, will see what is available for the Mediterranean come the 17th and then ask politely for a switch to a cruise within my original time frame. If shut down I will attempt to take it up a chain if possible. If no luck and they stick with the original offer that even they can't deliver because my suite is sold out, well then it's probably a story. Reasonable also being I am happy to be flexible with port changes, ship sailed, and reasonable date change, even happy to shave a couple days because even the 7 day cruises are much higher prices than the cruise they sold me.

If none of that works I'll be done with NCL and attempt to let as many people know as possible how they're conducting business.

Really good point.

Any help is appreciated.

If memory serves me right, when cruise lines started charging for fuel surcharges after a pax had already purchased his cruise, it was the Florida AG who intervened and got the issue settled in favor of passengers. Also, NCL is a Miami, Florida based company. It seems a complaint to the Florida AG would be the best recourse to investigate this issue.

Cheerleaders will continue to tell everyone else to sail NCL under the "no matter what, it's freestyle cruising, yada yada" while they themselves continue to bang the keyboard away. With each passing week, the faith and trust we've placed on the NCL brand eroded just another notch on where to put our disposable vacation dollars.

One of the clearest message to NCL is - since FDR & company liked to brag about booking #'s for the quarterly conference calls - to cancel & get refunds processed, instead of rebooking to sail sooner (it works great for their methods of accounting, believe it or not) and consider other alternatives.

If Norwegian can managed to sell out their 2017 around-the-world cruise of 100 days with 50+ ports for a starting price of just $120,000 per couple (that would be for an inside cabin ??) under the Regents brand doing Asia - surely, they wanted to do more of it. Yet, the stock tanked 3.5% this morning and down about $2 even pre-market ... and, announced the Secondary Public Offering, to raise more cash.

No legal background here but I've done a lot of reading since my cruise was canceled the day after I purchased it and looks like the consumer has absolutely zero protection. They are at the total mercy of the cruise lines and the cruise lines have zero obligation to do anything but give the consumer the $ back. The $50 "goodwill" offer- well it's the standard that NCL has been giving for years. Same offer that people got even in 2007 when NCL cancelled a cruise so Rosie odonnel could charter.

Have also learned that the other major companies are MUCH more generous with reasonable allowed changes. I've not read one instance of a company continuing to take bookings and payments up till the day they cancel a cruise. Have not found one instance of a cruise line offer for a canceled cruise to cruise a year earlier or forget it. So the official offers from NCL are bad business but looks like they have every right to do so. Can't find an instance of a cruise line canceling on this scale so I think NCL is an industry first and depending on how they handle it it may prompt some regulatory change because no it's not right to sell something you will never deliver.

Thanks for your research on this. I would not expect to get anything now because they seem to be covered, certainly subject to law interpretation.

However that does not mean consumer laws cannot be changed; it is a slippery slope. Once things like this are done, companies will not hesitate to do it again if consumers do not bring it up to the law makers.

They took a lot of money for down payments and certainly did not give us back the money with interest which NCL probably accumulated; unless they think the OBC takes care of that but a person only gets that if you book another cruise.

I do know that Congress is now looking at the airlines and all of their 'fees' which seems to have gotten out of hand.

Cheerleaders will continue to tell everyone else to sail NCL under the "no matter what, it's freestyle cruising, yada yada" while they themselves continue to bang the keyboard away. With each passing week, the faith and trust we've placed on the NCL brand eroded just another notch on where to put our disposable vacation dollars.

One of the clearest message to NCL is - since FDR & company liked to brag about booking #'s for the quarterly conference calls - to cancel & get refunds processed, instead of rebooking to sail sooner (it works great for their methods of accounting, believe it or not) and consider other alternatives.

If Norwegian can managed to sell out their 2017 around-the-world cruise of 100 days with 50+ ports for a starting price of just $120,000 per couple (that would be for an inside cabin ??) under the Regents brand doing Asia - surely, they wanted to do more of it. Yet, the stock tanked 3.5% this morning and down about $2 even pre-market ... and, announced the Secondary Public Offering, to raise more cash.

I don't really see this as a FDR thing. Looks to me NCL has been practicing business like this on their canceled cruises for some time now as in at least back to 2007 that I can see.

I've found old articles about NCL being the worst when they cancel a cruise. Time goes by and people forget. From what I gather RCI, Celebrity, Carnival, Princess, HAL and every major competitor does cancel cruises as well but they give their customers valid options to rebook. NCL seems to be the only one who gets away with what they can and bad press for past actions eventually goes away. But they have not tried it on such magnitude with so many people getting their vacations taken away and the alternatives being so very ridiculous.

I think the calculus is that they'll get more new customers than they'll lose old customers.

Thanks for your research on this. I would not expect to get anything now because they seem to be covered, certainly subject to law interpretation.

However that does not mean consumer laws cannot be changed; it is a slippery slope. Once things like this are done, companies will not hesitate to do it again if consumers do not bring it up to the law makers.

They took a lot of money for down payments and certainly did not give us back the money with interest which NCL probably accumulated; unless they think the OBC takes care of that but a person only gets that if you book another cruise.

I do know that Congress is now looking at the airlines and all of their 'fees' which seems to have gotten out of hand.

Yeah. At first I thought that NCL being the first to do this would be an open invitation for the other lines to follow suit with NCL being an industry leader. But the more I looked into it, NCL has done this all along and yet the other lines have not succumbed to their level. So even though NCL is doing what is legal, the other lines choose to create customer loyalty by offering valid alternatives to canceled cruises vs just pissing off a bunch of consumers figuring there are plenty more fish in the sea to replace the lost ones.