Do I understand Internet charges correctly?

mek

My understanding is that I can't purchase single days that aren't consecutive - is that correct? Only asking because I play Fantasy Football and while I have the port days covered, on my 10 night itinerary I have two Mondays at sea where I need access to my team. Sailing on Grandeur in November, if that matters.

I can manage Sundays and Thursday, just need to figure out what to do about MNF. I usually cruise Princess in the fall and get free internet, so it's not been an issue in the past.

The $20 per day for 1 device is if you purchase it for every day of your cruise. There are per day prices but they are significantly more expensive than the average per day prie of buying the package for the duration of the cruise.

That's my understanding too. I've seen $39.95 for a single 24-hour period.

My suggestion is to post something on your roll call. You might be able to "co-op" with somebody on your cruise who's buying a full internet package and make a donation to their internet tab for privileges on the couple of days you need. Even if the person has a One Device plan, any device can log on, just one at a time. You'd just need to get the user ID and password from your co-op buddy and figure out a schedule for those days. (If I were on your cruise, I'd work with you - there have to be others who would.:))

Judy

The $20 per day for 1 device is if you purchase it for every day of your cruise. There are per day prices but they are significantly more expensive than the average per day prie of buying the package for the duration of the cruise.

They advertise it everyday the whole cruise in the compass for $20 a day half off 2nd device so I don't think you have to buy it from day 1.

My suggestion is to post something on your roll call. You might be able to "co-op" with somebody on your cruise who's buying a full internet package and make a donation to their internet tab for privileges on the couple of days you need. Even if the person has a One Device plan, any device can log on, just one at a time. You'd just need to get the user ID and password from your co-op buddy and figure out a schedule for those days. (If I were on your cruise, I'd work with you - there have to be others who would.:))

Judy

That is my plan for our Feb Oasis cruise with my brother. All 4 of us are, or will be, Diamond by then and each will have one 24 hour period of free Internet use. I suggested that we split up the day by even and odd hours. We'll take even hours, 2,4,6, etc and they (DB and SIL) will get odd hours, 1, 3, 5, etc. It'll work if everyone remembers to log out on time.

They advertise it everyday the whole cruise in the compass for $20 a day half off 2nd device so I don't think you have to buy it from day 1.

I do believe though that you do have to buy it for the remainder of the cruise. If you just want to buy day 2 and day 6 then it will be more like 39.95 per day.

Can you use both of the passengers' discounts when buying the package?

You can use each persons credit for 1 day separately. By starting the 24 hrs at noon, for example, you cover 2 days with one free 24 hr credit. Then on the 4th day at noon, start the spouse's free 24 hours to cover day 4 and 5.

Judy

That's not a bad idea and might work for what I want to do.

Thanks!

Unfortunately only 1 discount per package.

That's right - one discount per package. But each person can buy a smaller package and apply their discount. They just have to each establish their own log-on when they but it. That's what DH and I do. We do the math and work the system to our advantage. (In other words, it's not only one discount per CABIN.)

Judy

That's not a bad idea and might work for what I want to do.

Thanks!

Go for it! And DO post on your roll call about what you need - I really believe somebody will work with you on your minimal internet needs. That's just the BEAUTY of the Cruise Critic community!

While DH and I have no interest in Fantasy Football ourselves, my guy friend who is cruising with us in Sept has been doing FF for years so I do get how important this is to you guys. ;)

These are my OLDEST friends as I went to high school in Raleigh with this couple nearly 50 years ago and we're still in touch. They were 'going steady' back in the day, and they are still married now (how unique!)…class of '66…yup, we are OLD!:D And although DH and I have cruised 25 or 26 times (I think it's 22 on RC) our friends have NEVER CRUISED BEFORE! And yes, he is a Fantasy Football fanatic, we are cruising in September, so internet access is crucial to his enjoyment of their very first cruise and I will make sure to make it happen for him.:) Since DH and I are D+ we'll cash in on our free internet stuff, spread it across several days to our advantage, and purchase the minimal package(s) to get by for the week.

So…we're taking these cruise virgin friends with us on an Alaska cruise on Sept 11. AND…we have one of the 2 bedroom Suites on Jewel. They will have CL privileges and all the perks that come with suite occupancy. Whadduya bet they'll want to cruise again?:p

Judy

Slightly off subject but related... Can anyone tell me if we can use the Internet to skype or face time or is it too slow?

Depends on the ship. Oasis and Quantum class have fast enough internet, but the other ships do not.

Go for it! And DO post on your roll call about what you need - I really believe somebody will work with you on your minimal internet needs. That's just the BEAUTY of the Cruise Critic community!

While DH and I have no interest in Fantasy Football ourselves, my guy friend who is cruising with us in Sept has been doing FF for years so I do get how important this is to you guys. ;)

These are my OLDEST friends as I went to high school in Raleigh with this couple nearly 50 years ago and we're still in touch. They were 'going steady' back in the day, and they are still married now (how unique!)…class of '66…yup, we are OLD!:D And although DH and I have cruised 25 or 26 times (I think it's 22 on RC) our friends have NEVER CRUISED BEFORE! And yes, he is a Fantasy Football fanatic, we are cruising in September, so internet access is crucial to his enjoyment of their very first cruise and I will make sure to make it happen for him.:) Since DH and I are D+ we'll cash in on our free internet stuff, spread it across several days to our advantage, and purchase the minimal package(s) to get by for the week.

So…we're taking these cruise virgin friends with us on an Alaska cruise on Sept 11. AND…we have one of the 2 bedroom Suites on Jewel. They will have CL privileges and all the perks that come with suite occupancy. Whadduya bet they'll want to cruise again?:p

Judy

That's very nice of you to take care of your friends FF fix. When I posted this I think everyone just assumed I'm a guy, but actually I'm the only female in a league with 9 men - my DS and his friends. They are uber competitive, serious about FF, (and this isn't a cheap hobby - we play for $$$),- no fooling around, so it's important that I manage my team well while I'm away.

That's very nice of you to take care of your friends FF fix. When I posted this I think everyone just assumed I'm a guy, but actually I'm the only female in a league with 9 men - my DS and his friends. They are uber competitive, serious about FF, (and this isn't a cheap hobby - we play for $$$),- no fooling around, so it's important that I manage my team well while I'm away.

OMG!:eek::eek: I'm so sorry for assuming you were a guy! You go, Girl!:D…and I hope your team totally kicks a$$. But seriously, post on your roll call - I bet you can find an internet solution with a cruise-mate that will meet both of your needs.

Judy

Slightly off subject but related... Can anyone tell me if we can use the Internet to skype or face time or is it too slow?

We did a Google hangout session with our daughter last weekend on enchantment. A bit Max Headroom-ish, but we stayed connected for a good 10 minutes.

On Explorer right now and managed to FaceTime on Day 1 but not again since then. Only Internet package available is for the whole duration of the cruise so we have been unable to apply our second D+ discount. However on Anthem and Allure we were able to apply both D+ coupon discounts so all ships differ.