Insignia skipped port today?

LadyCruisers

Noticed on MarineTraffic website this morning that Insignia docked in Reykjavik just a short while ago using the dock just vacated by HAL Veendem around 1PM local time. It was supposed to be in Islafjord today and Reykjavik tomorrow for a day visit. If you go to KroozCam website and AidaCara webcam you will see that it is in fact there. Perhaps weather or sea conditions necessitated a change? We just got off in Montreal on July 24 and a couple of ports had a slight time deviation from the original schedule. Wonder if ship is going at slower than usual speeds or whatever?

Hi all

as someone says it could be visibility and sea ice!

Although ships have radar it cannot tell the difference between sea ice and a whale and believe me Captain doesn't want to hit either of them!

regards,

Josie

We were booked on this itinerary and accepted a generous move-off to another segment of the WC. But we continue to follow our original itinerary with interest! I recently heard from a fellow shipmate aboard Insignia that they missed 1 port in Greenland and 2 ports in Iceland. That means they missed 50% of the scheduled calls (6) in those ports. I understand that Mother Nature rules but I'd still be bummed.

We were booked on this itinerary and accepted a generous move-off to another segment of the WC. But we continue to follow our original itinerary with interest! I recently heard from a fellow shipmate aboard Insignia that they missed 1 port in Greenland and 2 ports in Iceland. That means they missed 50% of the scheduled calls (6) in those ports. I understand that Mother Nature rules but I'd still be bummed.

+2. We were booked on this cruise but had to postpone. Now rethinking and seems a land trip will better suit us as our main focus is to see Iceland and Greenland. Thanks for the heads up.

We are onboard the Silver Explorer heading for Greenland today.

Different class of a ship. Still interested as to whether we get into our ports in Greenland -- we also end in Reykjavik on the 15th.

We have been told it is a bad ice season throughout the arctic. Had several fjords in Svalbard complete closed.

+2. We were booked on this cruise but had to postpone. Now rethinking and seems a land trip will better suit us as our main focus is to see Iceland and Greenland. Thanks for the heads up.

Road trip in Iceland ... best way to visit it. For Greenland ... expedition vessel voyage is ideal. We did a three-week road trip in Iceland after a month-long expedition in Greenland that included the west, south, and east coasts. The best of both worlds IMHO.

Am too following with interest...had a booking on next year's Insignia voyage ( July 2016) which will visit 3 ports in Greenland as well as many Canadian ports and then end in Iceland. I ultimately cancelled for several reasons , including worries about missing ports and weather.

I rebooked on the Crystal Symphony's July itinerary which includes Iceland , the Faroes Islands and Norway...am keeping my fingers crossed , as will be very disappointed if Iceland doesn't work out.

Could anyone publish the itinerary that the Insignia is currently on? Curious to follow along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by brazilgirl

My guess is they ported in Nuuk and missed the other Greenland ports. It also sounds like they missed Isafador Iceland. We were on Nautica mid June into July and the icebergs blocked entry to the Christian (sp) sound of Greenland where two of our ports were located. We detoured up and around to Nuuk which was wide open but we encountered huge icebergs heading back to Iceland from Nuuk and had to deviate to a more southern course. We missed other ports as a result including the second day in Reykjavik and a day in Londonerry Northern Ireland.

Our roll call was very active with private tours. The concierge was most helpful, calling our vendors to cancel or reschedule our private tours, then he communicate with all of us on the new plans.

We enjoyed the cruise but we were very disappointed to miss so many ports.

Edited by sammiedawg

I am thinking that weather is all important. (I know, what a genius thought.)

But we did a similar itinerary on Insignia in June '06. We overnighted in Reykjavik, visited two Scottish ports, Dubin, Belfast, the Faroes ... I forget what else. We had wonderful weather and missed no ports. The current itineraries seem to have more stops than we did (ours was a 14 day, Dover to Dover).

We were very glad to overnight in Reykjavik. We were a group of 8 that booked private tours in most of the ports. We rented two cars in Reykjavik and had plenty of time (considering we were on port visits) to drive around and see the highlights. Yes, I agree, a land trip would be better! But we really appreciated the second half day in Reykjavik.

But how do you predict weather when you book a year or more ahead?

We did the NY-Dover itinerary in May 2014 which was almost identical to the May 2013 itinerary (NY-Southampton) but our weather was FAR better. Even so, both cruises missed Falmouth due to weather. I suspect Falmouth is missed more often than not ... We also both missed L'Anse aux Meadows in New Foundland due to ice ... but our day in Cornerbrook was fabulous. We peeled down to our t-shirts.

Good luck for the upcoming cruises!

Mura

Am too following with interest...had a booking on next year's Insignia voyage ( July 2016) which will visit 3 ports in Greenland as well as many Canadian ports and then end in Iceland. I ultimately cancelled for several reasons , including worries about missing ports and weather.

I rebooked on the Crystal Symphony's July itinerary which includes Iceland , the Faroes Islands and Norway...am keeping my fingers crossed , as will be very disappointed if Iceland doesn't work out.

:confused:

You canceled a cruise because you were afraid of missing the ports & then book a Crystal cruise to the same area same time

Do you think that Crystal will be able to sail through the icebergs better than Oceania :eek:

That is a strange thought pattern

Not at all ... We did not cancel the cruise because of fear of missing ports. The main reason was My husband couldn't swing an 18 day cruise plus the necessary pre and post cruise arrival leeway and exploration of Iceland at end of the cruise. At this point his work makes that difficult.

I said in my original post I cancelled for several reasons , including weather.

The Insignia cruise leaves from Miami and goes up the East Coast / Canada / Greenland and ends up in Iceland. From what I have read , the chances for weather related issues may be more likely than the itinerary we will sail on with the Symphony.

The Symphony leaves from Amsterdam , visits Iceland and the Faroes and Shetlands , 3 ports in Norway , then ends in London ( Dover). Of course , weather and ports are always possibly missed , but Norway seems pretty safe , I have visited the Shetlands , and Iceland seems " safer " weather wise than Greenland. Perhaps I mistaken.

Another factor is I am traveling with my family... The Symphony has more to do for the younger crowd. My children are well traveled and know how to entertain themselves , but due to the Greenland weather risks , it was a plus for the Symphony.

We had a very wild ride to Antarctica , missed ports and stayed 7 days at sea... Memorable and the kids loved it. But not this time ( fingers crossed).

As I said , watching this thread with interest. Hope you approve my decision now , lol. [emoji4]

I really want to visit Greenland and Canada in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I would say that you do not need OUR approval for what you have decided to do!

But sometimes it does help to know all of the reasoning! Thanks for the further input.

Mura

I am thinking that weather is all important. (I know, what a genius thought.)

But we did a similar itinerary on Insignia in June '06. We overnighted in Reykjavik, visited two Scottish ports, Dubin, Belfast, the Faroes ... I forget what else. We had wonderful weather and missed no ports. The current itineraries seem to have more stops than we did (ours was a 14 day, Dover to Dover).

We were very glad to overnight in Reykjavik. We were a group of 8 that booked private tours in most of the ports. We rented two cars in Reykjavik and had plenty of time (considering we were on port visits) to drive around and see the highlights. Yes, I agree, a land trip would be better! But we really appreciated the second half day in Reykjavik.

But how do you predict weather when you book a year or more ahead?

We did the NY-Dover itinerary in May 2014 which was almost identical to the May 2013 itinerary (NY-Southampton) but our weather was FAR better. Even so, both cruises missed Falmouth due to weather. I suspect Falmouth is missed more often than not ... We also both missed L'Anse aux Meadows in New Foundland due to ice ... but our day in Cornerbrook was fabulous. We peeled down to our t-shirts.

Good luck for the upcoming cruises!

Mura

We are overnighting in Reykjavik as well and plan to rent a car as well. Very excited !

c3654a8cd99776b1f64e6fac8f7b24fd.jpg

Our itinerary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all ... We did not cancel the cruise because of fear of missing ports. The main reason was My husband couldn't swing an 18 day cruise plus the necessary pre and post cruise arrival leeway and exploration of Iceland at end of the cruise. At this point his work makes that difficult.

that makes more sense

Enjoy the cruise