It's about that time...

No sense in worrying about something that you can't control! We're sailing aboard the Dream next month, right in the middle of hurricane season. If there's a hurricane anywhere near Miami during this time, the ship will sail an alternate route. We've had that happen a couple of times. In fact, we sailed from Galveston with a hurricane down near Cozumel and ended up going to the Bahamas instead. Then while leaving to head back to Galveston, we had another hurricane behind us near Puerto Rico! So I'd go for it!

Bill

Edited by jordanaire

If that's the time you have available to book the cruise, I would book it. I wouldn't worry.

The only think I would worry about is if you would be upset if you missed a port. Just remember if there's a hurricane or a tropical storm they will move the ship's route so be prepared that the itinerary you book may not be the same as what you will actually cruise, if you are ok with the possibility of that happening then go ahead!

we just did that.... booked the Glory out of Miami... got the insurance and aren't really concerned if we have "weather" problems. There are lots of islands to divert to if something comes up, and its all part of the adventure.

• 2 weeks later...
If that's the time you have available to book the cruise, I would book it. I wouldn't worry.

The only think I would worry about is if you would be upset if you missed a port. Just remember if there's a hurricane or a tropical storm they will move the ship's route so be prepared that the itinerary you book may not be the same as what you will actually cruise, if you are ok with the possibility of that happening then go ahead!

I'm not too concerned about missed ports since this was a "I need a break vacation" so I just wanted to be at sea.

I wouldn't worry about hurricanes at all. Bad weather can occur at any time of the year. The time frame that is defined as the hurricane season refers to the season where the conditions are more favorable to support hurricanes than the rest of the year. But that does not mean there will be a hurricane or that one will affect your itinerary.

And if weather would be a factor the captain will divert the ship out of harms way. There is the possibility that ports could be missed as a result but that can happen due to weather any time of the year.

Book your cruise, plan for a good time, and enjoy yourself.

Well, I purposely pick ships that have nice amenities in case of bad weather but cruise lines can't really control when a hurricane will strike. They can avoid by doing alternate routes / ports but when you the have itch to cruise - scratch by going! Have fun on your trip! :)

I am not worried about sailing during hurricane season. In 2010 our western Caribbean cruise became an eastern Caribbean cruise thanks to Hurricane Paula. No big deal that our ports were changed.

What I do worry about is getting to the embarkation port as we do not have directs and the storms can come right up the east coast and cancel flights. We do go 2 or 3 days early. In 2014 we missed a cruise because of a snow storm that shut down Charlotte and Atlanta for nearly 4 days and we were scheduled to fly out 3 days early. The cruise was to start on Sunday and because of all the back up of planes and passengers, the earliest we could get out would have been Tuesday.

I am not worried about sailing during hurricane season. In 2010 our western Caribbean cruise became an eastern Caribbean cruise thanks to Hurricane Paula. No big deal that our ports were changed.

What I do worry about is getting to the embarkation port as we do not have directs and the storms can come right up the east coast and cancel flights. We do go 2 or 3 days early. In 2014 we missed a cruise because of a snow storm that shut down Charlotte and Atlanta for nearly 4 days and we were scheduled to fly out 3 days early. The cruise was to start on Sunday and because of all the back up of planes and passengers, the earliest we could get out would have been Tuesday.

Oh no that's awful. I try to leave a day or two early to give myself a little buffer

I've been getting the urge to use my sea legs. I saw a cruise for late August out of POM should I be worried about it being hurricane season?

Hurricanes are forming NOW in the Atlantic. Book the cruise and let the Captain of the ship do the worrying. They manage to avoid hurricanes.