First time cruising Oceania vs windstar vs azamara

Michaelsbuddy

Hello. We have only been on Disney wonder in 2008. We are new to crusiing but looking to celebrate our sons high school graduation in 2017. Ports of call and private excursions most important to us. We are not big drinkers. I like the azamara longer times in port but so far only one mediaterrean cruise in 2017 appeals to us. Any insight ?

Thanks so much

Cindy

When Oceania 2017 schedules come out then you can compare itineraries to see if their's will match your "Must see" ports

Not sure what insight you are looking for ?

Edited by LHT28

where would your son like to go for his graduation cruise?

What is he interested in seeing....European cathedrals, WWI-WWII places, museums, art... etc?

Young people that age like Norwegian and Royal Caribbean just because there are cool things to do on board and there would be other young people for him to hang out with on sea days or at night.

If you do the Caribbean Islands, there are also many more active types of excursions to do; jet skiing, kayaking, sailing, snorkel/scuba, ziplines...

have fun planning!

I'm a retired history teacher and I agree with Floridiana--I'm all about research!

that said....ancient history? 20th century history?

How about a Greek Islands tour with pre/post cruise days in Athens? If you can, find an itinerary that includes Delos.

Baltic Cruise: Copenhagen, Stockholm, St Petersburg, excursion to Berlin, Bruges & Amsterdam with pre/post days in London.

West coast of France, Portugal, southern Spain? Rome to Venice?

In doing research, he might come up with an itinerary that we'd not think of! Heck, he might come up with 2 and you'd be "forced" to do a b2b!!

have fun researching!!

When me and my wife were researching a European cruise, we whittled the list down to Azimara and Oceania because in a lot of ways, they seemed similar, but in the end, Azimara itineraries simply didn't compare with Oceania's. Sounds like the OP had the same problem.

Oceania just has so many appealing itineraries that I think it's hard to find one that you and your son wouldn't like. I was really stunned at the varied ports their ships go into, and I like some of the smaller, offbeat ports they dock in.

So I guess my vote is for Oceania, but in the end, it's up to you guys...:)

Although I haven't been on Windstar for a little while I do love being aboard those sailing ships. That in itself might be an interesting experience for you son, and they have an open bridge policy so he could see the ship's officers at work

Their Athens to Istanbul itinerary used to be popular, and they do have the water sports platform. We've never seen many young people on board but the few that we have met did seem to enjoy themselves in the company of adults.

Whatever you chose I hope you have a great time.

Although I haven't been on Windstar for a little while I do love being aboard those sailing ships.

Not all the Windstar ships are sailing vessels now

They have the old Seabourn ships

Not sure what type of ship the OP is considering

Edited by LHT28

Not all the Windstar ships are sailing vessels now

They have the old Seabourn ships

Not sure what type of ship the OP is considering

I know that, but I think Windstar's USP is it's sailing ships. I haven't sailed on one of the "little sisters" as they used to be called so I can't recommend them.

Just off Insignia 71N. I do not see anyone that age on any of these three except if they have Terry Bishop as guest lecturer on Oceania. Terry specializes in History. He wrote a play on a famous battle which was read by Cruise Director, another lecture, and Terry. He also sings and does ports. O will tell you his schedule.

We have been on all three lines and have current bookings for both Oceania and Azamara and we have loved each of them for different reasons. The long port stays on Azamara were great, no rushing to get back to the ship and the crew makes you part of the family. Oceania Riviera's highlight was the food, best ever on sea, the itineraries are great and the ship gorgeous. Windstar's food was great and so was the crew interaction and the watersports deck. I would think that given the right itinerary for you, Windstar on one of the sail ships, preferably the Wind Surf, might be the best fit for a graduation cruise. I know our sons would have loved it.

As a travel agent I book people of all different ages on all different ships. I agree with those posters who recommend that your son play a major role in the research. You might be surprised by what your son's preferences are.

The first question many of my clients ask is what cruise line I prefer. I tell them I prefer not to answer that question because my preferences are not theres.

Each cruise line and even each cruise ship has its own character, but what drives many passengers is the itinerary and available dates. That is where I would start. If you have a choice of ships, then find out what their specialties are, such as food, entertainment, service, makeup of passengers, size of ship, dress policy, and of course price. I have found that these are factors that often determine which ship I (or any professional travel agent) would recommend.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply. We are still considering all 3 lines. I like the oceania itinerary. The one most interestingis next year 2016 on new Oceania Sirenia August 19 2016 Barcelona to Rome. We have friends however who have been on windstar and loved it.

Thank you for your reply. We are still considering all 3 lines. I like the oceania itinerary. The one most interestingis next year 2016 on new Oceania Sirenia August 19 2016 Barcelona to Rome. We have friends however who have been on windstar and loved it.

We did that itinerary (or similar) in 2011 and it was great -- but I'm not sure how it stacks up for a history buff. Istanbul (dicey at the moment, but will hopefully settle down) to Venice or Rome would be packed with history.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

After our last two Windstar cruises (the last one on Star Pride - one of the Seabourn ships) we will now cruise only on Oceania. I won't use this forum to talk about Windstar, but it's just not up the standard of Oceania anymore. I think a young person would find the "new" ships very boring despite the sports platform (see my review in the Windstar section for specifics).

For a young history buff, Rome and Athens are the top of the list - preferably an itinerary that begins in one and ends in the other, since neither can really be seen in a one-day port stop.

• 4 weeks later...
After our last two Windstar cruises (the last one on Star Pride - one of the Seabourn ships) we will now cruise only on Oceania. I won't use this forum to talk about Windstar, but it's just not up the standard of Oceania anymore. I think a young person would find the "new" ships very boring despite the sports platform (see my review in the Windstar section for specifics).

For a young history buff, Rome and Athens are the top of the list - preferably an itinerary that begins in one and ends in the other, since neither can really be seen in a one-day port stop.

Hi. Still trying to decide. Was looking for Barcelona to rome trip but unfortunately only Oceania trip is June 2 and my 16 year old still in school. Windstar has the poets of call and sail dates that fit but I don't want to be disappointed

Hi. Still trying to decide. Was looking for Barcelona to rome trip but unfortunately only Oceania trip is June 2 and my 16 year old still in school. Windstar has the poets of call and sail dates that fit but I don't want to be disappointed

Would July 3rd work or still too early

other options

Aug 9th BCN to Rome

Aug 19 on Sirena

If there is another 7 day that fits, but doesn't end or start in Barcelona, you could always visit it by flying in or out of BCN, before or after the cruise. Doing this, you would book your own flights from Barcelona to the embarkation port or to Barcelona from the disembarkation port. Flights within Europe are pretty inexpensive.

There are also some midsummer 7 day itineraries that do have Barcelona as a port of call in the middle of the cruise...

do you mean July 2 Barcelona to Rome on Windstar?.

Barcelona to Rome Jul 3th on Riviera but probably out of your price range it is 17 days

There is one 7 day cruise same date but ends in Lisbon

Are you looking at the 10 day cruise on Sirena or the 20 day ?

If your goal is to see Rome & Barcelona on the same cruise Oceania may not work for you budget wise for the summer months

Ok so I just rebooked sirena Barcelona to Rome august 19 2016. Love the itinerary. We are excited. First real cruise for us. My son not a typical teen. Prefers adult crowd and company. I think Oceania is perfect for us. Although I wanted to sail Rivera , her sailings did not fit our schedule for 2016. Maybe next time around

Edited by Michaelsbuddy

1.Remember a friend is not YOU only you fully empowered to be you and your son and any other is them.

2. Consider that in the med, its aport port,port port every day. Thus the ship is only used in reality for dinner and a bed. This schedule can rob you of what special features you pay extra and makes you wonder should I pay extra for something I will have very little opportunity to take advantage of...unless you stay on board in port.. Why pay for the presidential suite if your going to check in after 10pm and check out at 6am ???? Thus, consider the net value to you in dollars and time. actualy spent on board and awake which willproably be 8 out of 24 hours ( 2/3rds of your cruise you wont be on it)