Celebrity shore excursion - Vasa museum

WTjourno

Hi,

My wife and I are on the Celebrity Eclipse for our honeymoon from Saturday, on a Scandinavia and Russia cruise. While we understand there is better value to be had elsewhere, because this is my first cruise we are doing a few Celebrity excursions.

In Stockholm we want to see the Vasa Museum, and are happy to go an see it on our own steam, by getting the HOHO boat, but I was wondering whether anyone here knew how long you spend at Vasa as part of the Stockholm and Vasa Museum excursion? There is an old town, Ice Bar and Vasa tour that spends 30 minutes there, but we'd prefer a bit longer.

Thanks in advance

:)

We did the ship's excursion last month that included the Vasa Museum. I would guess we spent at least an hour there. FYI...the museum is VERY crowded and VERY dark. There was a step down at one point that was unmarked and because of the crowds and darkness I missed it and fell. No damage other than some bruising but it was a little frightening. Hope you have a great honeymoon. This cruise was my favorite of 12.

Given both the cost and flexibility savings, we would opt for the HOHO boat. Not only can you spend the time you want at the VASA, you can visit other sites. This is what we did and highly recommend it. Don't let the fact that you are on your first cruise force you into doing ship excursions. There will be many, many people also doing the HOHO boat on their own.

We did the HOHO boat, got off and toured the Vasa, walked to the old part of the city, and picked up the HOHO boat near there. A lovely, relaxing day. There was a long line at the Vasa, but it moved quickly.

Bon Voyage

Used the HOHO ourselves a couple of years ago and would definitely recommended it for the Vasa Museum. We took the free guided tour (in different languages so check the English time slot) and many of the pax on the X tour came over to our group to listen to our expert guide. We went early to avoid all the crowds. Caught the HOHO just outside and went to Gamla Stam - brilliant day.

We were just there in June on Eclipse. When you leave the ship follow the red line and get the HOHO. The first sailing goes directly to the Vasa and you get in there as it opens at 8:30. We spent a delightful hour or more in there with relatively few people. As we left, it was starting to get very crowded and we congratulated ourselves on our good luck viewing the exhibits with so few people. We then walked to the old town and took the HOHO back to the ship enjoying all the stops it makes. We had lunch on board and then used the HOHO to go back to Gamla Stan. A wonderful day. Congratulations on choosing such a wonderful way to honeymoon!

We were on the Eclipse last month. Here are a few tips regarding the HOHO boat and Vasa.

Right when you leave the ship, there is a sort of kiosk and a long line that does not move. Don't get in that time. Look down on the pavement and you'll see red and blue lines. Follow them across the street and to the left (there will probably be a guy urging you on to the HOHO boats). When you get to the water's edge, there are two ticket booths. Similar prices and times.

Go directly to Vasa. We went to Old Town first, wandered around and then to Vasa. Big mistake as the line was VERY VERY long and we didn't go after all.

We rode around a second time which we enjoyed but darn, wish I had gotten off at Vasa first!

You'll have a great time!

Another vote for the HOHO boat and Vasa on your own. We did the circuit starting early in the morning, including the museum, which we found fascinating and stayed much longer than 1 hour, and walked around the city's waterfront to another HOHO stop for the boat back to the ship. A beautiful walking city.

Then we headed back to the ship for a quick lunch, and then the ship excursion that walked the rooftops of the old city. A fantastic tour, with spectacular views, and a very unique experience. If you are interested in learning some Stockholm history from a very different perspective, this is a fun tour.

Stockholm%20walk.JPG

Roof%20tour%202.JPG

Roof%20tour%203.JPG

Roof%20tour%204.JPG

Roof%20tour%201.JPG

Edited by SantaFeFan

We just came off the Brilliance Baltics cruise and we took an RCI excursion that included VASA. IMO you need at least an hour there minimum. The lines to get in were pretty long but the excursion entrance was walk right in. It is dark and crowded but much worth the visit. On the HOHO you might want to try to get there earlier in the day.

Hi,

My wife and I are on the Celebrity Eclipse for our honeymoon from Saturday, on a Scandinavia and Russia cruise. While we understand there is better value to be had elsewhere, because this is my first cruise we are doing a few Celebrity excursions.

In Stockholm we want to see the Vasa Museum, and are happy to go an see it on our own steam, by getting the HOHO boat, but I was wondering whether anyone here knew how long you spend at Vasa as part of the Stockholm and Vasa Museum excursion? There is an old town, Ice Bar and Vasa tour that spends 30 minutes there, but we'd prefer a bit longer.

Thanks in advance

:)

One thing- we are due to dock at Frihamnen so you won't be able to get the HoHo boat. You would have to get the bus but it won't take long from the port. The Vasa is a few minutes from the bus stop.

We did the ship excursion and we are glad we did. We got to see a great many things besides the Vasa museum and we had no lines at all....we were there for about an hour or so, which is plenty of time to see everything and have a bite to eat.

The Vasa museum is rather dark (for the protection of the ship) but I didn't find it difficult to navigate. We ate there also, it's a cafeteria, and the food was excellent and we sat out on the dock to eat....good food and good scenery.

On our tour we also did the City Hall and I thought that was amazing....as with the Vasa, with the excursion we walked right in.

Hi, thanks everyone for the advice. Shame we aren't docking near the HOHO boats though. Can I ask how people know where the cruise is docking in advance?

Just looked at the port schedules for each stop. They are normally listed several months in advance.