First time riser - sailing alone with young children

Kfb85

Sorry on the mobile app and title should read "first time cruiser"

I'm new and posted in Disney, but I guess I'm open to other lines also because Disney books so quickly. I'm looking for a child friendly line.

For awhile, my wife and I discussed taking the kids on a cruise and had saved. It looks like an amazing time, however, my wife sadly passed about 6 months ago so I'm wondering if traveling alone with 2 young children would still work. I know Disney may be best being so child friendly that there may be more understanding people on board as I presume many will be traveling with children. I am trying to choose itineraries for winter to escape the cold a bit and maybe have some fun to distract from the holidays that will obviously be somber this year for me. So my questions really are: has anybody sailed alone with children? Was it too difficult at meal times/managing buffet? If the kids are in a kids club do you think enough activities for a solo adult? I guess I should clarify ages, I'm 29 and my kids would be 5 (girl) and 3 (boy) by the time of sailing.

Sorry for the double post from the Disney thread but think perhaps I should have posted in new cruisers originally. Any tips about a line, food itinerary for children, or tips and how to cruise when outnumbered by small children is much appreciated.

Edited by Kfb85

All of the mass-market ships have great kid's programs... Disney's isn't as "structured" as the others...so if your kids need direction, you might consider RCI or Carnival....

I would NOT do the buffet...the dining room will truly cater to the kids...so go and have table service and a lovely meal!

I'm new and posted in Disney, but I guess I'm open to other lines also because Disney books so quickly. I'm looking for a child friendly line.

For awhile, my wife and I discussed taking the kids on a cruise and had saved. It looks like an amazing time, however, my wife sadly passed about 6 months ago so I'm wondering if traveling alone with 2 young children would still work. I know Disney may be best being so child friendly that there may be more understanding people on board as I presume many will be traveling with children. I am trying to choose itineraries for winter to escape the cold a bit and maybe have some fun to distract from the holidays that will obviously be somber this year for me. So my questions really are: has anybody sailed alone with children? Was it too difficult at meal times/managing buffet? If the kids are in a kids club do you think enough activities for a solo adult? I guess I should clarify ages, I'm 29 and my kids would be 5 (girl) and 3 (boy) by the time of sailing.

Sorry for the double post from the Disney thread but think perhaps I should have posted in new cruisers originally. Any tips about a line, food itinerary for children, or tips and how to cruise when outnumbered by small children is much appreciated.

So sorry to hear about your wife. "Firsts" are tough. Hugs to you.

We've done Carnival with a five year-old and are booked on Celebrity for a second with her.

We had a spectacular time. The key (for us) is plan downtime. Get a balcony, if that's in the budget, so you can watch the ship dock with the kids, watch the sun rise (those are our favourite memories).

Hit the main dining room for dinner and make it an event. Dress up. It's fun with kids (I hate dressing up).

Are your kids ok being separated? Leave one in the kids program while you spend some special time with the other. Everybody wins. You get some quality time with each Little without exhausting yourself, the Littles get to meet new friends. Many kids programs also have a family participation component. (scavenger hunts, etc.)

Don't feel like you have to do everything. Keep to the routine, where/if you can. Nap times ... if you have a balcony, you can put the little fella down while you relax on the balcony with your daughter (or leave your daughter in the kids program, and take the time to relax yourself ... or nap, too).

Bring along some quiet activities ... iPad stocked with favourite shows, colouring stuff.

You mentioned you'd posted in Disney. Once you settle on a cruise, join the roll call for that cruise. You can find people you gel with ahead of time, maybe with kids in a similar age group. Maybe some grownups you can hang out with, too.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Please accept my sympathies for your loss.

In addition to Disney, Carnival, NCL and RCI all have good children's programs.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I will look into those other lines, thanks.

So sorry to hear about your wife. "Firsts" are tough. Hugs to you.

We've done Carnival with a five year-old and are booked on Celebrity for a second with her.

We had a spectacular time. The key (for us) is plan downtime. Get a balcony, if that's in the budget, so you can watch the ship dock with the kids, watch the sun rise (those are our favourite memories).

Hit the main dining room for dinner and make it an event. Dress up. It's fun with kids (I hate dressing up).

Are your kids ok being separated? Leave one in the kids program while you spend some special time with the other. Everybody wins. You get some quality time with each Little without exhausting yourself, the Littles get to meet new friends. Many kids programs also have a family participation component. (scavenger hunts, etc.)

Don't feel like you have to do everything. Keep to the routine, where/if you can. Nap times ... if you have a balcony, you can put the little fella down while you relax on the balcony with your daughter (or leave your daughter in the kids program, and take the time to relax yourself ... or nap, too).

Bring along some quiet activities ... iPad stocked with favourite shows, colouring stuff.

You mentioned you'd posted in Disney. Once you settle on a cruise, join the roll call for that cruise. You can find people you gel with ahead of time, maybe with kids in a similar age group. Maybe some grownups you can hang out with, too.

Thank you, yes the firsts are hard.

I appreciate all the info you've provided! A balcony definitely sounds like a must then. The kids are ok being seperate at times as they are in daycare and in different sections there due to their ages. I would plan to spend the majority of time with them, but would be nice to have a minute away to take a short break if I know they are in a safe space. It's seems like dinner at the main dining is generally agreed as a better option so far. I think my daughter would like the dressing up option.

Disney is not the only child friendly line, Carnival, NCL (Norwegian) and Royal Caribbean are also child friendly. These three lines are also significantly less expensive than Disney.

Here are samples of what the other lines offer:

Carnival ...

Carnival Inspiration

DSC_7505_zps55034649.jpg

Carnival Splendor

AG1_zps82b68316.jpg

Norwegian ...

NCL Star

K-3.jpg

NCL Spirit

NCLSpiritkidspool.jpg

Royal Caribbean ...

Freedom of the Seas

ShpH_5092_zpsd9s0jgru.jpg

Allure of the Seas

PoolKidsDSC_8018_zps9c9d0e3b.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

I am so sorry for your loss. I know that you and the children are all hurting.

I agree with Essiesmom that posting on the Family Forum section of Cruise Critic would also be a good place to get information about child friendly cruise lines, Kids Clubs, and cruising alone with young children.

The family forum is at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I don't want to be morbid but bring your wife's death certificate with you on the cruise since cruise lines need proof that it is okay with the other parent for you to be cruising alone with the children.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know that you and the children are all hurting.

I agree with Essiesmom that posting on the Family Forum section of Cruise Critic would also be a good place to get information about child friendly cruise lines, Kids Clubs, and cruising alone with young children.

The family forum is at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I don't want to be morbid but bring your wife's death certificate with you on the cruise since cruise lines need proof that it is okay with the other parent for you to be cruising alone with the children.

Thank you for the condolences and thank you for the link to the family forum. I didn't see that forum listed on the mobile app, still getting used to this site. I'm sure you are right about the death certificate. I haven't traveled with them yet since. Once I pick a cruise I will definitely ask all what I need to bring.

Sorry for your loss. I recently sailed alone with 2 young children on the Norwegian Sky. We celebrated my sons 12th birthday. My daughter at the time was only 2. The 2 year old had such a blast, she has been daily she talks about going to the " HAMAS"(Bahamas).

Norwegian had a very warm crowd. Many were middle age, so it wasn't really a "booze cruise". There were mabye 50 kids onboard. The staff really went out of their way to please the kids. In fact I ordered warm milk on via room service on the first night for the 2 year old and each nite the warm milk continued to arrive without me asking. Unfortunately, my 2 year old was too young to go to the kids club alone, I had to stay with her. However all the older kids seemed to have tons of fun in the kids club.

We are sailing Princess this year, I am really looking forward to being able to allow the little one to join the kids program unaccompanined.

My 12 year old hung out in the arcade...until he mexed out his video game spending limit. For some reason he grew fascinated with the ship cam on the TV. He would stay up for hours at nighght watching it lol.

Disney is not the only child friendly line, Carnival, NCL (Norwegian) and Royal Caribbean are also child friendly. These three lines are also significantly less expensive than Disney.

My heart goes out to the OP for his and his children's loss.

I agree with Cruizer2. I have not sailed with children as young as the OP's and I have never been on Disney, but I can say that NCL Breakaway (and its sister Getaway) have great pool areas for kids and a Splash Academy. Very kid friendly. RCI Oasis and Allure of the Seas would be great picks, along with the Harmony of the Seas which will sail from Ft. Lauderdale in late 2016. If my kids were still as young as the OP's, these are the ships that would be on the top of my list. Too large for me personally, but, due to the sad circumstances, the OP is all about his kids and rightfully so.

OP, it might be helpful if you tell us where you are from and maybe where you want to cruise to and for how long.

With disney the 3 year old MUST be potty trained in order to use their camps= or they go into the nursery where that will cost 9.00 an hour.

Carnival allows 2 and up for their camps and changes diapers

Royal Caribbean-- they need to be 3 and potty trained.

I like to stretch my vacation dollars to get the most bang for my buck. I like vacations and disney is out of my budget.

We have taken our GD on Carnival since she has been 18 months old. We are going on her 6th is April. She is 9.

Going to the dining room with her is a fabulous experince as she can try new foods that she is not familiar with-- and found over the course of years she does have her favorites.

I suggest a western caribean cruise as there is more to do for kids that age.

Bahamas-- not so much