Carnival vs Princess

tensixmom

Sorry, I wasn't sure which forum to put this in.

Looking at Alaska cruises for next summer. Just for kicks I decided to price on on Princess and another on Carnival, choosing the "closest to same" possible dates. The price is almost $1000 difference between the 2 lines! What am I missing? I want a comfortable room with a balcony and some great scenery, which I am probably going to get on either cruise. Any insight as to why it is such a major difference? Is it just the brand name factor?

In my experience, there is very little difference in the two lines, and certainly NOT $1,000 worth. Yes, Princess is just a "cut above" as far as service goes. I've noted that in the Lido Buffet area, there are far more folks taking care of cleaning the tables, etc. Now, entertainment is better on Princess, but for an Alaskan cruise, I doubt that you'll be worrying too much about the entertainment aboard ship. Bottom line, I personally, wouldn't spend an additional grand for Princess, over Carnival, and especially on an Alaskan cruise.

"SKY"

They say that Princess is the best at going to Alaska. Havent done it yet but will hopefully in near future. Is it worth $ 1000 more? beats me.

Service on Princess better than Carnival and overall Princess entertainment is better.

However comedy club on Carnival is major plus and dont like Princess piano bar.

Very nice that you get your food on the lido deck find a seat and the crew will get you your drinks.

I've sailed the Crown Princess last August southbound to Vancouver from Anchorage/Whittier after doing a landtour from Fairbanks. While Princess is indeed a better experience (crew, food, entertainment, décor) overall than Carnival, the main difference is the ports of call and access to Glacier Bay. Please compare the itineries side by side to see the difference.

Everything on our land tour and cruise went off like clockwork. Princess has the most experience in Alaska and we were happy with almost everything Princess offered. The only glitch was on the land tour when I requested a wake up call if there was a showing of the Northern Lights. The hotel front desk didn't dial our room and I heard that day that others had seen the aurora that night.

If this is your first time going to Alaska, Glacier Bay is a must. Quick search shows Carnival mainly goes to Tracy Arm Fjord, while I've never been there, Glacier Bay is one you don't want to miss. Our cruise on the Golden Princess to Alaska back in 2012 was probably our best and favorite cruise to date.

Carnival only has one ship, Princess has several ships doing various itins.

Major differences besides food and ambience---

Princess IS, OV, BAL cabins are generally smaller than Carnival's. None of these have a couch. Bring some magnetic hooks, Princess doesn't have hooks in their cabins.

Bathrooms are smaller, shower is puny.

No Hot Chocolate machines on Princess. :(.

Also look at Holland America. We prefer HAL over Princess, but both are good. Some HAL ships do not have self laundries. Larger cabins than Princess. Most have bathtubs.

Edited by SadieN

In my experience, there is very little difference in the two lines, and certainly NOT $1,000 worth. Yes, Princess is just a "cut above" as far as service goes. I've noted that in the Lido Buffet area, there are far more folks taking care of cleaning the tables, etc. Now, entertainment is better on Princess, but for an Alaskan cruise, I doubt that you'll be worrying too much about the entertainment aboard ship. Bottom line, I personally, wouldn't spend an additional grand for Princess, over Carnival, and especially on an Alaskan cruise.

"SKY"

I can agree.

We haven't done Princess in Alaska, but Princess is supposed to be the best in Alaska. But, we have done Princess in the Caribbean and although we liked princess we would never pay a grand more for basically the same cruise. When we booked princess we got a last minute deal, we had a great time. But when we looked to booking them again, the prices were quite high.

I think you'll have just as good of a time on Carnival, I can't imagine the Princess cruise is that much better to charge $1,000 more!

Princess ships are allowed to go to Glacier Bay. Carnival ships are NOT.

Princess has been cruising to Alaska for a very long time and has the proven

reputation of providing excellent Alaskan cruises. :)

LuLu

This is not true. Carnival usually visits Glacier Bay once in May and once in Sept. Next year Legend will be in Glacier Bay on May 28 and Sept. 10. Those are the dates she will be cruising the glaciers, not the date the cruises start. So, in the belief that Glacier Bay should be on your itinerary for the first/only cruise to Alaska, if you don't want to pay for Princess, go early or late on Carnival Legend. EM

We have sailed both lines to Alaska and enjoyed each. They both have naturalists on board who give lectures and point out things from the bridge as you are sailing. Both ladies were very good and available around the ship to answer questions.

You will enjoy which ever you chose I believe--we did.

Princess has very good programs for children over 3 who are toilet trained.

Don't overlook HAL. Along with Princess, HAL has been offering excellent Alaskan cruises for a long time and can go to Glacier Bay! :)

LuLu

That is the current. If you were to check again at the 90 day mark you might find Carnival more expensive.

Princess starts out high and goes lower as it gets closer to the cruise Carnival usually gets more expensive as they only have 1 ship doing Alaska

Bill

Princess has very good programs for children over 3 who are toilet trained.

Don't overlook HAL. Along with Princess, HAL has been offering excellent Alaskan cruises for a long time and can go to Glacier Bay! :)

LuLu

I agree, HAL will be our line of choice in Alaska from here on out. I would however stick to OV or lanai veranda's because of the smoking policy.

Wow, thanks everyone! I will be sure to check itineraries carefully and also check out Holland America.

Leaving from Seattle, do you think it matters whether I get a port or starboard facing cabin? I imagine I'll get a view one direction and no view the other, regardless?

Wow, thanks everyone! I will be sure to check itineraries carefully and also check out Holland America.

Leaving from Seattle, do you think it matters whether I get a port or starboard facing cabin? I imagine I'll get a view one direction and no view the other, regardless?

Sounds reasonable. Have heard it is better to be up on deck so you can go from side to side based on the views

That is the current. If you were to check again at the 90 day mark you might find Carnival more expensive.

Princess starts out high and goes lower as it gets closer to the cruise Carnival usually gets more expensive as they only have 1 ship doing Alaska

Bill

Thank you for that tip. Do I keep checking back with Princess? Do you know offhand whether they will adjust my fare (if that's the right word) if I find that they offer a lower price later?

Having done both, neither Alaska, I think there is night and day between the lines. Princess is now our line of choice and I think think Princess is what cruising is supposed to be and Carnival is still the giant party, loud, kids everywheres line. But $1000 is hard to argue although I would still have to think about it. We are coming back and trying Carnival again next April. Could be the final nail.

This is not true. Carnival usually visits Glacier Bay once in May and once in Sept. Next year Legend will be in Glacier Bay on May 28 and Sept. 10. Those are the dates she will be cruising the glaciers, not the date the cruises start. So, in the belief that Glacier Bay should be on your itinerary for the first/only cruise to Alaska, if you don't want to pay for Princess, go early or late on Carnival Legend. EM

So just 2 sailings by Carnival to Glacier Bay in the very beginning and the very end of the cruising season? When the weather in Alaska can be brutal?

I think not. Shiver, be snowed on, deal with bitter winds to save a dollar or two? Have to pack anoraks and insulated underwear? Watch the scenery from the monitor in your cabin or the enclosed Lido rather than being out on your balcony or up on deck? Go into port and find out that most stores haven't opened for the season yet or have already closed? Be limited in excursions due to the extreme dates?

When we decided to go to Alaska (and the Med too), we figured these could be once in a lifetime experiences. Our view was to make it as memorable and as enjoyable as possible - so we chose Princess for both. Couldn't have turned out better for us. We did our land cruised tour mid August when weather is more likely to be optimum than the dates suggested by the quoted poster.

Edited by evandbob

So just 2 sailings by Carnival to Glacier Bay in the very beginning and the very end of the cruising season? When the weather in Alaska can be brutal?

I think not. Shiver, be snowed on, deal with bitter winds to save a dollar or two? Have to pack anoraks and insulated underwear? Watch the scenery from the monitor in your cabin or the enclosed Lido rather than being out on your balcony or up on deck? Go into port and find out that most stores haven't opened for the season yet or have already closed? Be limited in excursions due to the extreme dates?

When we decided to go to Alaska (and the Med too), we figured these could be once in a lifetime experiences. Our view was to make it as memorable and as enjoyable as possible - so we chose Princess for both. Couldn't have turned out better for us. We did our land cruised tour mid August when weather is more likely to be optimum than the dates suggested by the quoted poster.

Good points:)

Wow, it sounds pretty rough up there! We sailed the last cruise of the season, and I don't remember the crew having to build an igloo canape for us to walk on deck... No one shoveling snow from their veranda's either... that's what we have room stewards for! ;)

By your own admission, Mid August is ideal for Alaska cruising, but 2 weeks later, conditions become unbearable? What leads you to believe in such a drastic change? I'm also curious what kinds of blizzards you are avoiding in the Med?

If you were pricing a balcony or above the Princess ship would include unlimited beverages.

I have a place in my heart for Carnival but for Alaska I would not even check Carnival so I would not know the price difference, only Princess or Holland America. And a balcony or better.

Wow, it sounds pretty rough up there! We sailed the last cruise of the season, and I don't remember the crew having to build an igloo canape for us to walk on deck... No one shoveling snow from their veranda's either... that's what we have room stewards for! ;)

By your own admission, Mid August is ideal for Alaska cruising, but 2 weeks later, conditions become unbearable? What leads you to believe in such a drastic change? I'm also curious what kinds of blizzards you are avoiding in the Med?

We also cruised the last cruise of the season and had a great time. It rained while at Glacier Bay but we had gear for that and were out on deck during the whole day with a pitstop for hot chocolate.

Bill

Princess is our cruise line of choice. Had 3 wonderful voyages to Alaska with Princess. The naturalist on board presented informative lectures for every port. We sailed from Vancouver to Whittier B2B. Glacier Bay was awesome. This is one cruise where a balcony is a must. Whatever you choose, have a great trip.