Do Not Shake Hands....

SS Exeter

I just read that some cruise lines are informing passengers that they are not to shake hands with the Captain. While this was a lovely experience in the past, in the new world of norovirus and other germs, I think it is a smart move. This is not the Captains choice but company policy. Probably no one on a ship should shake hands. Maybe bowing will be the new thing.

This is nothing new on HAL, at least. Most captains have been refraining from shaking hands, and encouraging others to do likewise, for years now.

It reduces the opportunity to exchange germs, including the norovirus germ.

Not shaking hands with the Captain was the case on the Noordam in May. The Captain did hug Marcia when she received her Gold Medal though. On the other hand, the ship's crew had no problem shaking hands with all of the Neptune Suite guests.

This is not the Captains choice but company policy. Probably no one on a ship should shake hands.
If it is company policy then Capt Edward van Zaane and all in the receiving line at the Neptune cocktail party violated it on our 12/7/14 cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. He said he doesn't do the elbow bumping. (We had no Noro problems.)

Edited by jtl513

one of the concierges relayed to us one night at the smoking side of the seaview bar that one of the suite guests didn't go to a reception because the invitation didn't say 'no handshaking'. I guess he didn't understand you could decline -- and btw, the receiving line at that event and all previous event's was 'no handshaking'.

I am always amazed when there is handshaking on board - having been sailing with HAL since 1988 .. it's the norm.

Are elbow bumps permitted? I would have suggested the staff wear gloves when exiting the bridge if this was a concern. Perhaps not the plastic ones worn by the cleaning staff, but perhaps the white cloth gloves would be OK?

If it is company policy then Capt Edward van Zaane and all in the receiving line at the Neptune cocktail party violated it on our 12/7/14 cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. He said he doesn't do the elbow bumping. (We had no Noro problems.)

While it has been the norm for some time on most ships, there have been a few Captains, like Captain van Zaane, that still shake hands.

I have sailed with Captain van Zaane 3 times, first on Rotterdam V in 1996. I can hear him say: "I don't do elbow bumping." He is a very traditional Master and an expert Mariner.

When we departed the Zuiderdam in Barcelona, they had some of the crew/staff lined up to thank us for sailing with them. They were pretty cool with giving each of them a fistbump.

That is great to hear! That should happen on every ship as well as at least a couple of staff/crew to welcome one during embarkation.

Do you recall the name of your Hotel Director for the Zuiderdam?

In my opinion shaking hands is a practice whose time has come and gone.

Frankly I have NO DESIRE to swap germs with people I have just met and have no idea where their hands have been lately. (and likewise they have no idea what i may have touched recently)

I live in Thailand half the year and personally MUCH prefer the Thai custom of a simple wai...place your hands together in front of your face in a prayer type motion and with a slight bow acknowledge the other person. A VERY civilized practice in my opinion.

Of course it can be difficult when people thrust their hand out for you to shake and you don't want to do so. Often I will beg off by saying oh I have a cold so you don't want to shake my hand. The fact is i am more afraid that THEY have a cold and I for one don't want to take a chance on catching it.

I realize many are absolutely convinced that hand shaking is the polite/correct thing to do when meeting new people. But please understand that not everyone agrees with the practice.

I live in Thailand half the year and personally MUCH prefer the Thai custom of a simple wai...place your hands together in front of your face in a prayer type motion and with a slight bow acknowledge the other person. A VERY civilized practice in my opinion.

An excellent custom. My late brother suffered greatly from arthritis. Shaking hands was extremely painful for him. What you suggest would have been a great solution for him.

DH and I don't "do" fist bumps or elbow bumps. If people choose not to shake hands to exchange germs, we simply keep ours at our sides and say hello through our surgical masks.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)