Symphony of the Seas' Blocks Are in the House!

The filing for the use of the name Icon of the Seas was just done about a week ago...

I know that.

It just seems odd that they would announce a new class of ships under the name "Project Icon" and then name a ship of a different class "Icon of the Seas", both announcements coming within a couple weeks of each other.

I was under the impression that that name had something to do with Project Icon, but it would seem really early for that. :confused:

I was thinking along the same lines that it may/should have something to do with Project Icon. It would also seem odd as mentioned to take the name of new ship class and use it for an existing class. The announcement and registration filing (as far as I can tell) don't show any link to the Oasis Class or Oasis 4. Is it possible that Oasis 4 may have Icon Class futures this late in the build process, maybe as it relates to interior offerings but I doubt anything LNG.

Noticed in another thread that our resident guru (Lloyd) may have uncovered the name of this next Oasis-class ship... ;)

It was posted it in the Icon-class thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2411505&page=7

and I'm thinking it's likely the name for the first Icon-class ship. Unless RCI is playing around with us. ;)

As for Oasis 4 & 5, to quote Frank Ireland in the Icon FB group...

"Icon of the Seas is new and Live on the trademark site, but there is no new one [trademarked name] for Oasis 4 & 5. Or is there?! Can one of the Dead names be 'revived' for these two ships?"

Edited by Lloyd555

It has been asked why would they name the ship after the project name, when RCI usually names it after the class*.

If you read the message released by Royal Caribbean press center it is called both the Icon project and (mostly) the Icon class.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter...of-the-future/

* example:

Project Genesis > Oasis class

Project Sunshine > Quantum class

It was posted it in the Icon-class thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2411505&page=7

and I'm thinking it's likely the name for the first Icon-class ship. Unless RCI is playing around with us. ;)

"Icon of the Seas is new and Live on the trademark site, but there is no new one [trademarked name] for Oasis 4 & 5. Or is there?! Can one of the Dead names be 'revived' for these two ships?"

Ha, it figures. I'd been checking a couple times a week for new names, and they filed the application the day i left the country (on harmony right now. :) ).

Once dead for more than a couple of months, an application can't be revived, but they can certainly reapply for the same name.

Fwiw, the services they applied for - cruise ships, entertainment, lodging, etc - are pretty standard for cruise lines' trademark applications.

Sometimes applications get hung up in processing, so its possible they filed for others that just arent in the system yet, or there may be a delay on their end with clearance from their attorneys.

Thanks for the new pics. Fun to see them as we explore harmony....

Edited by karmacats

That makes sense.

Using the same logic as being ahead on the registration of names (like Icon is for that next class series)...it would seem that one of those names out there already could indeed be "the one" for Oasis IV.

But I still vote Minion of the Seas. :D

I'm on the harmony TA now and just attended a lecture by captain gus about the building of the ship, and he mentioned oasis 4 was being built now and, wise guy that he is, said something along the lines of "and her name is"...(insert loooong pregnant pause here)...."harmony 2". There was audible groaning at that - we all thought we were getting some inside scoop. Oh well. The lecture itself was pretty great.

• 2 weeks later...