Risky flight time ?

old crusier

I would book that flight only if I was cruising out of Fort Lauderdale and not out of Miami.

IF you happen to miss the flight you'll have to buy a new ticket at whatever price is available at that moment.

Not worth the risk in my opinion.

I would book that flight only if I was cruising out of Fort Lauderdale and not out of Miami.

IF you happen to miss the flight you'll have to buy a new ticket at whatever price is available at that moment.

Doesn't it depend on the type of ticket you purchased if you will completely lose your money?

Returning to Port Of Miami from the Breeze March 6th &

hope to catch the 11:30 am flight from Fort Lauderdale.

I think we should make it IF no hang ups or delays. Is it worth

the risk ? What would you do ? Thanks

Hi, neighbor.

You would really be taking a risk because of having to get from Miami to Fort Lauderdale. I sure wouldn't attempt it. With absolutely no hang-ups you'd make it, but any little glitch could screw things up.

Edited by Sparky2

Most people I know buy non refundable/ non changeable tix as they are the least expensive.

IF you are flying Southwest Air then they DO have a good change ticket policy so you could just pay the difference in price ,if any, for the new ticket.

Otherwise for most airlines you'd need to buy a completely new ticket at the walk up price. IF you were planning to do this scenario I'd definitely read the change policy for the specific airline and ticket you are buying!!

Edited by riffatsea

Can you change your flight to leave from Miami? I know SW only goes to Lauderdale so if you're flying them obviously you can't. But I'd look into booking 2 one way tickets and see if you can leave from MIA.

It all depends on the airline and their policies, the type of ticket you purchase, your status with the airline and several other variables. A blanket statement like this is not helpful at all.

Some airlines still honor the "flat tire rule", some have a $50 flat fee depending on the type of ticket you purchase others have different policies. The best thing to do is go to the airlines web site, check out the policy when you miss the flight and then make your decision.

I have missed flights and never had the experience posted above.

Returning to Port Of Miami from the Breeze March 6th &

hope to catch the 11:30 am flight from Fort Lauderdale.

I think we should make it IF no hang ups or delays. Is it worth

the risk ? What would you do ? Thanks

We've booked 11:15 flights, four or five times now, when sailing Miami but flying home (Boston) from FLL. We used self assist (carried off all luggage on debarkation morning) and reserved SAS Shuttle. (ridesas.com) Never had a problem. I'll continue to book flights at that time when sailing Miami and flying in/out FLL.

We've booked 11:15 flights, four or five times now, when sailing Miami but flying home (Boston) from FLL. We used self assist (carried off all luggage on debarkation morning) and reserved SAS Shuttle. (ridesas.com) Never had a problem. I'll continue to book flights at that time when sailing Miami and flying in/out FLL.

We do the exact same thing - Self assist debarkation and SAS and have made it for an 11:15 flight with loads of time to spare

You are coming back on a Sunday - traffic will not be a problem. Do self-assist and no problem. With no checked bags, we have done it before with time spare. Make sure you book your plane seats ahead of time - the lines for tix and checked baggage can be brutal at FLL. Give a max of 30 min for TSA.

We stopped with checked baggage when flying to ports - we'd rather pay for on board laundry than the $$ & time involved with flight baggage.

We returned to Miami once and flew from there after our cruise. We didn't even rush off of the ship and do not do self assist and were sitting waiting at our gate at 9:30. Our flight was for after 12pm so we would have been fine. It doesn't always work that way though.

We wish we had booked a flight that early. We used luggage express, got off the Breeze with the Platinum debarkation and were at MIA before 9am. Long, long wait until our 3pm flight finally departed at 4:15pm.

Last time we sailed out of Miami, we were delayed because of the of rescuing a ship at sea. We didn't get off the ship until 11:30.

At that point I would think ship insurance would kick in.

We wish we had booked a flight that early. We used luggage express, got off the Breeze with the Platinum debarkation and were at MIA before 9am. Long, long wait until our 3pm flight finally departed at 4:15pm.

That's interesting. We just used luggage express on the Breeze a few weeks ago, and we are platinum. When using luggage express, we had to forfeit platinum debarkation and wait until they announced that luggage express had been cleared. We were given luggage tag #7 for luggage express, but they called us right after tags #3 and #4. It has to do with your bags actually clearing customs, I believe. We thought about trying to get off when they called tag #1, but we were almost certain we'd get buzzed, so we didn't try it. We never book a flight before 11:30 anyway because it can't be any earlier than that and be eligible for luggage express from MIA (much later if you are flying out of FLL--I think it's 2:30 p.m.).

And to the OP, you can get let guest services know if you have an early flight scheduled and get a low number for your luggage in case you can't or don't want to take your own luggage off, which will help some, but there's nothing you can do if the ship is late getting back to home port, or if customs holds up clearance of the ship for debarkation. On our Breeze cruise last month, there were only 4 customs agents working, and I heard it got progressively slower as the morning wore on (some people at our gate missed their flight and were telling us what a zoo it was). They didn't start debarkation for self-assist until 8:30. The whole process seemed like it was in slow motion, and the cruise before us still had people coming off at around noon (we could see them from the Captain's Lounge as we waited to board).

We've booked an 11:30 flight out of MIA and made it in plenty of time, but we use luggage express and don't have to check bags at the airport. That line to check in, print boarding passes, and check your luggage gets crazy if there are lots of ships in port, and we've never had to figure in the 25- to 30-minute ride to FLL.

If you think it's worth the gamble, give it a try, but just know that there are a lot of things out of your control that have to go right in order to make it work. I know people have done it, do it all the time, and will continue to do it. Is it possible? Yes. Only you can decide if it's worth it based on your own comfort level and what the penalty by your airline carrier will be if you don't make it in time.

We have a 12:00 flight out of FLL and I called Carnival and have talked to many who have done what we are doing and they said they got off the ship and was at the airport by 10:00. I'd recommend taking your luggage off though

I have been on ships docking at POM and have been through customs bags in hand at the curb by 8 am. Not that fat to FLL and SAS is great about being on time. But I dont think I would want the worry at the end of my vacation.

I wouldn't do it having to travel between port of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale's airport. That would be borderline for me even if leaving from Miami Int'l. I missed a 1015A from Miami Int'l even when arriving into port of Miami, and was among the first off of the ship.

To give the best chance of making this flight- I would suggest, being up early and ready to go- prior to the posted time with self disembarkation. Have your transportation arranged in advance for the transfer from the Miami Port to FLL.

IF you miss your flight, as already mentioned, you need to be specifically aware of the conditions of the tickets you bought. BUT- do NOT expect to be able to get out on the next flight- or even the same day depending on flight loads, which can be completely fully with cruise ships in port.

We booked an 11:30. Arriving into POM flying from FLL.

I am aware it's a risk. I think it can be done.

We self disembark and last cruise we were there before 9am driving from Miami. I know there are things that can go wrong, but we're going to try it.

I also know the consequences.

I do personally think it can be done!