Foodie question

cwmcaa

We are sailing the Breeze in less than three weeks and I am thinking ahead on how I can eat somewhat healthy. Does anyone know if there is hummus on the buffet? I am also thinking the stirfry might be a good place to eat especially without the sauces.

Any other suggestions other than just having a salad, that gets a bit boring after a while.

Thanks!

T minus 19 days until the summer Breeze!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There's a wide variety of food on board. You can easily avoid "unhealthy" foods, depending on your definition of "healthy" eating. I'd say your best bet is to try the Tandori on the aft(stern) Lido. Don't recall if they had hummus there, but really well prepared dishes. Also look into the Indian Vegetarian option at dinner. The Blue Iguana has really good tacos and burritos where you can select what you want on them. In the morning in addition to breakfast burritos they have arpeas and will do rancho huevos. The Italian restaurant has many good choices and the Asian separate restaurant is more than just sushi.

You won't starve and you want be left with just "rabbit food" for your cruise meals.

Thanks, I am on a really good roll right now with making good food choices, I am just a little bit worried about getting derailed. If I kind of have a plan a head of time, I am hoping I will do better. Appreciate your suggestions.

Edited by cwmcaa

Thanks, I am on a really good role right now with making good food choices, I am just a little bit worried about getting derailed. If I kind of have a plan a head of time, I am hoping I will do better. Appreciate your suggestions.

Another suggestion that helps me - use the stairs if you can and it's just 2 or 3 decks. I actually get there a bit quicker than waiting for the elevator!

You CAN find healthy options....salad, fruit, veggies, fish, etc. You can also go to the omelet station and have yours cooked with just egg whites and have them hold the oil. I've done that and they don't bat an eye. There are also some nice dishes in the MDR, like Roasted Root Vegetables, Fresh fruit platter with cottage cheese (Seaday Brunch), and plenty of vegetarian options.

You can also take the stairs and go to the free stretching and ab classes that are offered in the gym. We've done those too. :)

There's a wide variety of food on board. You can easily avoid "unhealthy" foods, depending on your definition of "healthy" eating. I'd say your best bet is to try the Tandori on the aft(stern) Lido. Don't recall if they had hummus there, but really well prepared dishes. Also look into the Indian Vegetarian option at dinner. The Blue Iguana has really good tacos and burritos where you can select what you want on them. In the morning in addition to breakfast burritos they have arpeas and will do rancho huevos. The Italian restaurant has many good choices and the Asian separate restaurant is more than just sushi.

You won't starve and you want be left with just "rabbit food" for your cruise meals.

Indian is my favorite cuisine, but it is far from healthy because most is cooked in heavy or thick sauces. But it is so delicious!

I have found the key to keep weight gain to a minimum is to walk 15-20000 steps a day at a good pace.

By doing it periodically during the day not having a problem doing it

I will have no problem at doing the 15 steps a day at a good pace :p Sorry couldn't resist!

Healthy has nothing to do with calories...people who load up on granola bars are consuming mega calories. Food is healthy...all types of food are healthy...fat is not the mortal enemy of man, nor is sugar, or salt, or grains, or dairy products, or egg yolks. Just eat moderately, don't over do one food group, eat slowly and graze (easily done on a cruise) AND don't drink your calories.

Everyone's idea of healthy is different. Some avoid oil, but some oils are very nutritious. Some choose egg whites, but they are void of vitamins B2, B12, D and iron. Personally, I would rather have a good oil and a whole egg, and watch other things. I tend to eat quite a bit of protein at breakfast, as this is my largest meal.

For me, I try to eat pretty clean at home, but cruising I do splurge. I figure a couple of weeks a year isn't going to hurt me.

Sweet Dutch Girl....great post. It is so true. I want to be able to pronounce ingredients.

Edited by crzndeb

Indian is my favorite cuisine, but it is far from healthy because most is cooked in heavy or thick sauces. But it is so delicious!

It depends on what the sauces are made of and most tandoori items are not sauce dominate.

I don't think the tandoor has hummus as hummus is not an Indian food and tandoori is. Also, hummus is not always a healthy option as it's generally filled with oil.

The oil in hummus is olive oil a perfectly good unsaturated fat to eat.

And to those who suggest taking the stairs versus the elevator, while I agree with you, just be aware that you only burn 0.17 calories per stair step. So on a flight of 10 risers, you'll burn up a calorie and an half. That's over 50 flights of stairs to burn off a Guy's burger:eek:, or 30 to burn off a chocolate melting cake:p, assuming you did those stairs right after eating.

And to those who suggest taking the stairs versus the elevator, while I agree with you, just be aware that you only burn 0.17 calories per stair step. So on a flight of 10 risers, you'll burn up a calorie and an half. That's over 50 flights of stairs to burn off a Guy's burger:eek:, or 30 to burn off a chocolate melting cake:p, assuming you did those stairs right after eating.

A lot more calories go away by walking or taking the stairs than laying in lounge chair.

Dont expectd not to gain any weight on a cruise the idea is to keep it to a minimum so easier to get rid of a few pounds when we get home.

Two years ago I took a transatlantic on the Sunshine--17 days on a cruise ship--it was heavenly and amazing, but going in I was concerned about what was going to happen to my waistline, and so I decided to be very intentional about my eating (and exercising). By eating a balanced selection of a variety of foods, taking it easy on carbs, and limiting myself to desert only once a day(typically at supper) as well as spending some time on the treadmill every morning, taking stairs everywhere I went, and talking a walk around deck three every afternoon at a moderate pace, I actually lost four pounds on that cruise.

Since that time I have tried to practice good eating habits and have managed to lose weight on every cruise. I am also "on a roll" (have lost 60 pounds over the past year) and have now developed a routine when I'm cruising: breakfast try to stay light on carbs (this means an omelet or eggs and bacon either in the MDR or on LIDO), a lunchtime salad (easy on the dressing and cheese and pastas but taking advantage of the amazing variety of things they have on the salad bars), and dinner every night in the MDR where portions are controlled (and only eating ONE appetizer and ONE entrée :)) No late night snacking, one drink every other day, stay away from the soft serve ice cream, and then as a treat I will usually go to the deli once, have one (and only one) Guy's Burger/fries, and generally skip the pizza.

I know it probably doesn't sound as fun as just relaxing and going on vacation and not worrying about all these other things, but it's what has worked for me, and I have never felt deprived. This past summer I lost another three pounds while in Alaska. I have three Journeys cruises booked this fall, and I'm hoping to continue the trend.

Best of luck to you, OP--and know that you really can keep losing weight and keep that momentum going!

I actually did not gain ANY weight on my first two cruises... here is what I did.

Breakfast - hard boiled egg or two, yogurt, bowl of fresh fruit or bowl of oatmeal. Skip the omelet bar or tell them NO oil. They squirt about 2 tablespoons or more in pan, yuck.

Lunch - buffet, always eat a salad with vinegarette dressing, not ranch. Chicken or fish or some lean meat that is not breaded. Lots of yummy salads with mixed veggies, just read the labels posted. Skip the rice and fries. No Guys burgers, they are loaded with fat and butter.

Dinner - salad, skip the ranch dressing and cheeses or shrimp cocktail. Entree - salmon or grilled fish or chicken. If it is in a sauce, skip it. Dessert - only ate dessert 3 times during week and tried to be sensible about it.

Booze - limited myself to 1 glass of wine at dinner on one night, and one mojito or mixed drink per week. Yeah, I know... but I am not much of a drinker regardless. Those are completely empty calories!

Snacks -- try to skip hitting the buffet between meals, even the chocolate buffet. We did eat at that our first cruise and afterwards we were both green the rest of day from so much sugar. Yuck.

Ice Cream and Yogurt machine.... yes, once daily.

Seriously... I did not gain a pound either cruise. This is partly because this is the way I eat at home, but also I was just more aware of all those calories and the fact I don't need them.

My DH on the other hand, ate a bit crazy both cruises, and came home with 5 extra pounds of weight. He tried to restrain himself a bit more the second cruise... but couldn't resist the Guy's burgers, so had those for lunch 4 times. But he also hits the gym every day, on cruise and at home.

It really does add up...

Edited by ABQrobin

It depends on what the sauces are made of and most tandoori items are not sauce dominate.

Did we have different Tandoors on our ships? I ate Tandoor for lunch every day on Breeze and Magic. Every dish, except one chicken offering, was swimming in sauces.

Did we have different Tandoors on our ships? I ate Tandoor for lunch every day on Breeze and Magic. Every dish, except one chicken offering, was swimming in sauces.

The tandoori fish and tandoori chicken are the better items at the grill, kebabs are good too. They were out every day we were on a ship with the Tandori Grill. The curry sauce in any the vindaloos (we've seen maybe one or two each time) isn't "dangereous" or "gluteny"--Food Babe be danged:eek::D It's made with curry sauce, wine vinegar, spices. And if you wanted to try it, you didn't have to heap on the sauce. So maybe they've changed the line up.