Mildly Frustrated... Help?

Amy5000

Hi all. I've rarely cruised before and booked my family on whim for the Anthem April 8th sailing. I'm a big vacation planner. (I love to do up Disney, but even other vacations I get guidebooks and do it up proper...except when I don't ;)).

I'm a little overwhelmed at the lack of thorough materials describing entertainment; dining; etc. Obviously I've clicked through the website and I see some information; most of which is vague. (I do see the complementary dining venues clearly marked).

When I called today to ask a RCCL rep a question she seemed kind of annoyed and didn't seem to want to spend time answering questions. (I'd already made my deposit before this). It was like pulling teeth to find out about kids programming. I wasn't trying to give her a hard time but one of my kids has special needs and more information is helpful for me. (I can set expectations, try to avoid things I think will be bombs). I like to have a mental list of what's out there that would be good for the kids (and us) before I go rather than (1) doing all the work there, and (2) trying to do it while in crisis mode. It just helps things run more smoothly.

Do I just need to comb through CC forum for RCCL to find out about things like "Escape from the Future Puzzle Break" in a random manner? (I'll probably do that anyway but would prefer to be a little more focused in efforts).

I gather part of the problem is that this is a new ship, and maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm just a anxious about such a big ship and feeling like I don't want to go into this cold.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or advice?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to joining the RCCL ranks. :) Amy

Edited by Amy5000

I can't help specifically about Anthem, but for your child, call the "Special Needs" dept....detail his needs, and they WILL do all they can to help you! They are really good about that! You have to let them know, tho!!

In a separate post, ask for the kid's compass. It won't be identical, but it will give you an idea of what to expect. SOMEONE will post it for you!!!

Good luck! Use that guidebook for your ports!!!

A good travel agent would be able to answer most of your questions or would at least know who to contact for that information and make your ordeal much less frustrating. If you are still within the time frame that would allow you to transfer your booking to a TA, you might want to consider finding a good local agent who could reduce the stress you are experiencing. Dealing with faceless CSRs from any line can be frustrating and not all of them are really well enough versed in the product to answer your questions accurately. Good luck. If all else fails, ask your questions on here and someone can likely answer them for you.

I don't know what types of questions you were asking, but not all the reps have crusied so they may not be able to answer specific questions about a particular ship. In all. Honesty they may not know more than the website.

You could make a list of questions and post them here. Also in reading the reviews here will provide some details you won't find on the website. You can also read Quantum reviews, there are a couple with pictures which could be helpful.

Unfortunately so much about cruising is learned from experience and/or a VERY helpful/knowledgable travel agent AND Cruise critic. RC workers are helpful as much as they can be, but as one other poster mentioned, some are more knowledgeable than others

This website is so helpful in people who provide advice. And some time spent searching keywords can be very helpful from past posts where often there is a long thread in which you might be interested. Of course thing can be time consuming but if you are the planner like me I can see you spending a lot of time here looking at posts....[emoji23][emoji23].

We do a good amount of cruising but have not been in the anthem. We book our MTD dining in advance but only because we travel in large groups and because our teens like to dine earlier in the night so they can go do their teen thing. Entertainment does not really need to be booked in advance for us except for comedy club which has a smaller venue on some ships.

Other than that I wouldn't stress too much about trying to plan everything in advance. (And I'm a Big planner). If you have young kids just roll with it and see how they are doing as the day goes along. Disney is way more complicated and crowded (to me anyway) than a cruise.

Have fun!!

Right now, it will be challenging to get factual information about Anthem since she hasn't set sail, yet. I'd suggest reading reviews on here of her sister ship, Quantum, to give you an idea of the activities and programming offered. Just search "Quantum Review" or "Quantum Photo Review" on the CC boards, and you should have a lot to look through.

As soon as Anthem sets sail, there will be a lot more information available here, and the first in-depth photo reviews will be really popular, so you won't miss them!

Personally, I think that planning port days is more challenging than planning for time on the ship itself, so after booking a cruise, I spend more time browsing the Ports of Call boards. And another great resource would be to join the Roll Call for your sailing: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2032276

Right now, it will be challenging to get factual information about Anthem since she hasn't set sail, yet. I'd suggest reading reviews on here of her sister ship, Quantum, to give you an idea of the activities and programming offered. Just search "Quantum Review" or "Quantum Photo Review" on the CC boards, and you should have a lot to look through.

As soon as Anthem sets sail, there will be a lot more information available here, and the first in-depth photo reviews will be really popular, so you won't miss them!

Personally, I think that planning port days is more challenging than planning for time on the ship itself, so after booking a cruise, I spend more time browsing the Ports of Call boards. And another great resource would be to join the Roll Call for your sailing: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2032276

Hello there Victoria. I think Antem has been at sea for a while. It is Ovation that has yet to launch.

I hope you and your family are well. Any cruises in the near future? I love to read about your families' adventures. :)

What you can know with some certainty is when the ship will arrive and depart places. You can also figure rough meal times (eg: 7-10 breakfast, 11-1 lunch, and dinner reservation times and places). A couple major events, like the muster drill prior to sailing and nightly shows can be blocked off. After that, planning for the specific onboard events will be challenging.

Get cruise Compass postings from the itinerary you will sail to get an idea, but bear in mind the activities change from sailing to sailing, based on a number of factors - consider it a guide, not gospel.

Another challenge is the very nature of how the day onboard is laid out. There are activities stacked on top of one another to appeal to a wide variety of guests; so each member of your party may be doing something different during each hour. For example, at 9am there may be trivia, a port lecture, a watch sale, a teen scavenger hunt, a food demonstration, a gym class, and a belly flop competition. While all that is happening there are numerous food and drink venues open, a fitness center, a spa, retail outlets, pools and hot tubs. In short, there are lots of moving parts to keep everyone entertained - and fed.

Similar to Disney, you can plan to trends and major happenings, but the details may just have to be a surprise of the moment.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I am one of those crazy organized disney planners that you read about on the DIS and we went on our first family cruise (my fifth cruise but first with kids) in February. What an adjustment that was!

Here is my advice -

Before you travel, read some compasses from cruise critic for similar cruises, read the menu pages online, read kids compasses (they seem to be more similar than different across the fleet), read the kids menu, and make plans for each port.(ask a travel agent for the PDF excursion guide - easier than the web!). Contact special needs as required (kid concerns, food allergies, medical needs, RTS). When the dates open for eligible ships - book dining and shows online.

Then upon arrival day at the ship - arrive promptly - there is a lot to fit in on day 1! Make sure to visit the kids club/adventure ocean during the hours on the compass and try to get a jump on some of the anthem unique features! Stop by guest services to see if they have a paper copy of the cruise planner - it's sometimes nice to see all laid out and make any adjustments to your plans.

Each night you will get a compass in your room. Bring a package of sticky notes, a highlighter, and some magnetic wall clips to mark it up and keep it organized for the family. We would highlight items we wanted to do based on the time. There are often tough choices to make and we couldn't do it all - and we would often split up (a sticky of events for everyone!). A kids compass will be delivered nightly too!

It's VERY different from a disney vacation but you will still enjoy it - you just won't be planning your every move 6 months in advance! Only some can be done that early - others will be 12-24 hours notice!

Great advice given. I have learned a lot by reading the different forums on Cruise Critic. Check in often and you will learn more each day. I think there is less planning required than Disney, in my opinion. Use the key search word feature too. This has been super helpful to me. Read reviews to learn more as well. There may be a forum for children with special needs. If not, use the search feature to see what other parents have written. You have time to figure it out. If you read enough here, you'll probably get a much better understanding of what you are getting into.

You can probably get very helpful info. from Quantum cruisers (particularly from those of us who loved the ship). I was on Q on 4/5/15 with a nearly 5 and nearly 7 year old. While my children don't have special needs, I am a speech language pathologist and work with children and young adults with moderate-severe impairments, including autism and cognitive impairments. Feel free to send me a message.

Hi all. I've rarely cruised before and booked my family on whim for the Anthem April 8th sailing. I'm a big vacation planner. (I love to do up Disney, but even other vacations I get guidebooks and do it up proper...except when I don't ;)).

I'm a little overwhelmed at the lack of thorough materials describing entertainment; dining; etc. Obviously I've clicked through the website and I see some information; most of which is vague. (I do see the complementary dining venues clearly marked).

When I called today to ask a RCCL rep a question she seemed kind of annoyed and didn't seem to want to spend time answering questions. (I'd already made my deposit before this). It was like pulling teeth to find out about kids programming. I wasn't trying to give her a hard time but one of my kids has special needs and more information is helpful for me. (I can set expectations, try to avoid things I think will be bombs). I like to have a mental list of what's out there that would be good for the kids (and us) before I go rather than (1) doing all the work there, and (2) trying to do it while in crisis mode. It just helps things run more smoothly.

Do I just need to comb through CC forum for RCCL to find out about things like "Escape from the Future Puzzle Break" in a random manner? (I'll probably do that anyway but would prefer to be a little more focused in efforts).

I gather part of the problem is that this is a new ship, and maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm just a anxious about such a big ship and feeling like I don't want to go into this cold.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or advice?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to joining the RCCL ranks. :) Amy

Personally I think you are "overthinking" a bit. Now, I can't speak for a special needs child. But the beauty of a cruise is the opportunity to relax and just take it easy. If you try and "do it all" you will be crazed. As others have said, look at the shows you want to go to and book them. Book dinner around that. Be sure to leave enough time to get out of the theater and to the dining room, or to the theater 30 min. early to get good seating.

Be sure to try and book IFly. Check the times for the Bumper Cars as they don't run all the time. The Bumper Car line goes pretty quick, so don't let it stop you. Ride North Star, but do it around 4:30 or 5:00. Most people have left to get ready for dinner. So the wait is quite short around those times.

Best help would come if you asked specific questions. Not really sure what would be a "bomb" to avoid. But honestly don't try to plan every minute. Take time to enjoy the ship and the relaxed atmosphere. Sit and watch the ocean go by. Enjoy sunning around the pool. Take a stroll around the deck. Make sure to just take a deep breath and enjoy the beauty of being at sea.

Wow. Thank you all for the good advice.

-I guess I'll try to find a Travel Agent who's sailed RCCL frequently. I defintely got the impression that the rep I spoke to was young and didn't relate to my kids question at all. I do see that there is so much info on these boards.

Then upon arrival day at the ship - arrive promptly - there is a lot to fit in on day 1! Make sure to visit the kids club/adventure ocean during the hours on the compass and try to get a jump on some of the anthem unique features! Stop by guest services to see if they have a paper copy of the cruise planner - it's sometimes nice to see all laid out and make any adjustments to your plans.

Cel: Can you clue me in to the unique features you had in mind?

Personally I think you are "overthinking" a bit. Now, I can't speak for a special needs child. But the beauty of a cruise is the opportunity to relax and just take it easy.

Papaflamingo: I know you are right...one of the reasons I'm overthinking it was my last cruise experience (a small HAL ship to Alaska) I never felt like I could relax. I've had this discussion a few times and I may be one of those people who are not meant for cruising. But I'm willing to give it a try. This ship looks like fun but I'm also thinking it could be tough for me...especially the 3 days at sea at the end of the 10 day cruise.

I will be sure to post my questions here ans this community is clearly a valuable resource. So here's a question: Should I be posting on this board or on the "Countdown to Quantum Class".

TIA.

The poster might be "overthinking" it a bit and may be a bit anxious, as was stated. But for someone who has rarely cruised and is used to a highly planned Disney vacation, planning for a cruise might be an adjustment for this family. Having worked with many children with special needs, though not knowing the poster's child(ren), the parent knows what the family needs. Some children need to have an idea of a schedule for the day/week and helping them predict what is next via understanding/becoming familiar with events, sensory features, locations, etc. can lead to less meltdowns (those beyond what every child faces when tired, hungry, overstimulated, or just being "difficulty"). The family may have to prepare for "relaxing" b/c that in an of itself may not be relaxing for all the family members. Even changes in dining time and the transition from restaurants to the theater or becoming familiar with the kids club staff/activities flow may be difficult. Since Anthem is overseas now there may not be as many details as other ships, but gathering info. on Quantum, general RCI "ways", and kids clubs on other ships will be helpful.

I will be sure to post my questions here ans this community is clearly a valuable resource. So here's a question: Should I be posting on this board or on the "Countdown to Quantum Class".

TIA.

Others may be able to answer better since I am somewhat still new here, but for general questions, I put them on this forum (Royal Caribbean). The Countdown may be more specific toward that ship. Frankly, I have learned a lot more valuable information on this forum. I go to Oasis and Harmony forums to feed my curiosity, but since I haven't cruised in so many years, I get most of my info here (drink package, formal nights, dining plans, kids club, reviews...) I have also been watching the excursion boards too so I can figure out what to plan for our days off ship.

Wow. Thank you all for the good advice.

-I guess I'll try to find a Travel Agent who's sailed RCCL frequently. I defintely got the impression that the rep I spoke to was young and didn't relate to my kids question at all. I do see that there is so much info on these boards.

TIA.

By the above statement it appears that your booked directly with RCCL. Unless you're in the 60 day period in which the booking can be transferred you'll probably get very little to no assistance from contacting a TA now.

Suggest you also post on the Family Cruise Forum regarding your Special Needs Child. It would also help if you were willing to disclose what are the Special Needs do people on CC can better assist you.

By the above statement it appears that your booked directly with RCCL. Unless you're in the 60 day period in which the booking can be transferred you'll probably get very little to no assistance from contacting a TA now.

Suggest you also post on the Family Cruise Forum regarding your Special Needs Child. It would also help if you were willing to disclose what are the Special Needs do people on CC can better assist you.

I booked it Sunday night so I think I'm in the period.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hello there Victoria. I think Antem has been at sea for a while. It is Ovation that has yet to launch.

I hope you and your family are well. Any cruises in the near future? I love to read about your families' adventures. :)

Ah, my bad! I've been away from the boards for awhile, and I'm getting confused! New ship, after new ship, after new ship, isn't it? :D

And sorry for the threadjack, OP! - No cruise has been booked, yet, but we're looking into the full Panama Canal from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale/Miami for Christmas... I think my family doesn't trust me to make the ship on my own after my missed flight disaster, so now they want to come to me!

But back to the topic... I agree with those who have said that planning a cruise requires much less work than planning a trip to Disney. It's much more inclusive than Disney. You've already done a good bit of the legwork by choosing the cruise. Now it's really just deciding what you're going to do in Ports of Call, and even that can be booked once onboard (but the selection will be drastically reduced to what is still available, and you're limited to RCCL excursions, rather than outside parties which you can look into booking now). That and deciding what to wear!