Too much privacy in BA First when travelling as a couple?

sverigecruiser

Our latest flight to New York was in Club World and there is no way back...! (It's like cruising in a suite, no way back...)

Now I have started to thing about BA First at least once. (Hopefully I will be able to go back after that or we will probably not be able to travel anymore!)

What I'm wondering is if BA First is too private when travelling together? Is it better to fly in First if I travel alone? I have seen the privacy screen between the two seats in the middle. With that down, does it feel like two people sitting in the middle seats are travelling together or does it still feel too private? Can we see each other and can we talk without the feeling of talking through a wall?

Yes, it's fine. You can always dine or sit with one another as the foot space is a good ottoman and comes with a seatbelt. Avoid row 1 on the 747 if you intend to dine together as it'll be very cramped for the person visiting. Let the crew know you intend to dine together.

Personally when flying with a companion in F on BA I'll pick window seats, one in front of the other.

Yes, it's fine. You can always dine or sit with one another as the foot space is a good ottoman and comes with a seatbelt. Avoid row 1 on the 747 if you intend to dine together as it'll be very cramped for the person visiting. Let the crew know you intend to dine together.

Personally when flying with a companion in F on BA I'll pick window seats, one in front of the other.

Thanks! Does that mean that the two middle seats aren't very good for the "travel together" feeling? (Since you mention the foot space and since you prefer two window seats.)

I had the same concerns with the Club World configuration before we took that flight but the face to face seats was fine for us but we will probably book two middleseats next time. (If it's available on that flight, 787 has only three seats in the middle if i remember right so then that option doesn't exist.)

I'd never consider the centre seats and have never tried them. I value window seats over ability to lean over and chat. It's certainly possible to talk to your neighbour in the centre seats....as the people in 2E/F did at considerable volume on my JFK-LHR overnight the other week. Ugh.

Assuming you're doing a return in F why not try centre seats one way and window seats the other.

I'd never consider the centre seats and have never tried them. I value window seats over ability to lean over and chat. It's certainly possible to talk to your neighbour in the centre seats....as the people in 2E/F did at considerable volume on my JFK-LHR overnight the other week. Ugh.

I normally value window seats too but the trvelling together feeling is number one!

Maybe they had to talk loud because they had to talk through a wall!?

Assuming you're doing a return in F why not try centre seats one way and window seats the other.

It depends on where we shall go. If we fly to New York the extra cost to fly in First compared to Club World is almost $2000 each way so we might only fly First to New York. The extra cost if we fly to San Francisco is around $700 each way for a much longer flight so then we will probably fly First both ways. (I have done lots of searches for different dates and it's always like that.)

Thanks again!

A real first world problem...;)

Leaving tonight for Sydney, United Global First (to celebrate our 30th). The same question arises in their First Class. We decided to test it out by have aisle/aisle seating going, and seats in the middle coming back.

A real first world problem...;)

Leaving tonight for Sydney, United Global First (to celebrate our 30th). The same question arises in their First Class. We decided to test it out by have aisle/aisle seating going, and seats in the middle coming back.

Agree, defenitely a first world problem!!!

From the pictures I have seen from United Global First the middle seats seems rather open to each other but angled away from each other.

In Buss. the forward & rear facing seats by the window, are they a good choice for talikng with the other half ? How about getting up & out to the bathroom for the person close to the window ? And, Is it a weird feeling facing backwards ? ( did it many moons ago & forgot. My signed seat was at the pong table in the club room of a flight from SF to LA on PSA )

In Buss. the forward & rear facing seats by the window, are they a good choice for talikng with the other half ? How about getting up & out to the bathroom for the person close to the window ? And, Is it a weird feeling facing backwards ? ( did it many moons ago & forgot. My signed seat was at the pong table in the club room of a flight from SF to LA on PSA )

Yes, the window seat pairs are fine. You're only a couple of feet apart, tops, and are practically facing eachother.

I have no issues with getting out of the window seats when someone is reclined. The feet are elevated to around 18" off the ground and there's plenty of seat to hold on to. Those who whinge about that in CW are making far bigger than it needs to be. I've flown other airlines in business class where it is far more difficult to get out from the window seats.

Flying backwards is again, something people whinge about way more than they should. You only notice it on takeoff, climb out and landing. If you have sidebins make sure nothing is on them. (It's an easy way to spot newbies!). If you're getting sick during cruise because you're flying backwards you're a pretty severe case.

Does that mean that the two middle seats aren't very good for the "travel together" feeling?
I actually think they're great for the "travel together" feeling. Yes, you are sitting a bit further apart than you would in a lower cabin - but that is part of the point of flying First! - and it's therefore harder for example to hold hands. But you are definitely still sitting together.

However, the layout on the 747 is really a bit awkward for a couple for whom this is important.

4EF feel very exposed, and some of the furniture is awkwardly placed (the personal wardrobe is in a funny place, for example, so you can't just lean over and open it to get something out). And 5EF is quite close to the galley, so is more liable to some noise and disturbance from there.

One other problem with sitting in the EF pair is that unless you dine together, you're likely to find that by default you're served by different cabin crew - one does one side of the cabin and the other one does the other side. If they're not working well in sync, then the service may be disjointed between the two of you. A good crew will note that you are travelling and dining together, and make a positive effort to serve you simultaneously (or work out some other way of doing it). But not all crews are this switched on.

The window seats - at least in rows 1, 2 and 3 - are much better from a personal experience point of view. But I find that all of the ottomans / buddy seats in the window seats are pretty narrow on the 747. It's a labour of love to dine together in them, even though it's quite romantic.

It's also quite hard to get both 1A and 1K unless you are a BA Gold or OW Emerald - but if you can, then these are probably the best seats for a couple even though they are too far apart to hold hands for more than a few seconds at a time (plus you feel like everyone is watching you doing it). Other than that, though, it's a bit like sitting together in adjacent armchairs in a comfy lounge. You wouldn't put armchairs closer together than 1A and 1K are to each other.

If you are on a 777 or a 380, then many of these problems disappear. And then it's a real dilemma between choosing an EF pair in the middle or two window seats one behind the other, while planning to dine together using the ottoman / buddy seat.

In Buss. the forward & rear facing seats by the window, are they a good choice for talikng with the other half ?
Yes, the window seat pairs are fine. You're only a couple of feet apart, tops, and are practically facing eachother.
It's actually a really natural way of talking to each other, precisely because you're facing each other. You can hold hands, share food, and look into the other person's eyes, almost exactly as if you were sitting on opposite sides of a table in a restaurant. Being displaced from each other laterally by a foot or so really makes little difference.

Anyone who feels sick during the cruise because they're flying backwards is suffering purely psychological symptoms. Once you're in the cruise, there is no way that you could know from what you feel that you are facing / travelling backwards rather than forwards.

I actually think they're great for the "travel together" feeling. Yes, you are sitting a bit further apart than you would in a lower cabin - but that is part of the point of flying First! - and it's therefore harder for example to hold hands. But you are definitely still sitting together.

However, the layout on the 747 is really a bit awkward for a couple for whom this is important.

4EF feel very exposed, and some of the furniture is awkwardly placed (the personal wardrobe is in a funny place, for example, so you can't just lean over and open it to get something out). And 5EF is quite close to the galley, so is more liable to some noise and disturbance from there.

One other problem with sitting in the EF pair is that unless you dine together, you're likely to find that by default you're served by different cabin crew - one does one side of the cabin and the other one does the other side. If they're not working well in sync, then the service may be disjointed between the two of you. A good crew will note that you are travelling and dining together, and make a positive effort to serve you simultaneously (or work out some other way of doing it). But not all crews are this switched on.

The window seats - at least in rows 1, 2 and 3 - are much better from a personal experience point of view. But I find that all of the ottomans / buddy seats in the window seats are pretty narrow on the 747. It's a labour of love to dine together in them, even though it's quite romantic.

It's also quite hard to get both 1A and 1K unless you are a BA Gold or OW Emerald - but if you can, then these are probably the best seats for a couple even though they are too far apart to hold hands for more than a few seconds at a time (plus you feel like everyone is watching you doing it). Other than that, though, it's a bit like sitting together in adjacent armchairs in a comfy lounge. You wouldn't put armchairs closer together than 1A and 1K are to each other.

If you are on a 777 or a 380, then many of these problems disappear. And then it's a real dilemma between choosing an EF pair in the middle or two window seats one behind the other, while planning to dine together using the ottoman / buddy seat.

Thanks for this detailed answer!

I have been thinking about that for the two middle seats in Club World. I guess that problem is smaller in First than in Club World. The solution is to either tell the crew that we wants to be served at the same time or in First we can use the ottoman.

Edited by sverigecruiser

It's also quite hard to get both 1A and 1K unless you are a BA Gold or OW Emerald - but if you can, then these are probably the best seats for a couple even though they are too far apart to hold hands for more than a few seconds at a time (plus you feel like everyone is watching you doing it).

Why? Is the first row reserved for the most important customers?

We are not really interested in holding hands so that's no problem unless there is turbulence or something else which can be scary for someone who is a little afraid to fly. She's not very afraid but a little. She says that she doesn't like to fly but she do it because she has to if we shall be able to cruise!

I LOVE to fly so for me that's no problem!!!

It's actually a really natural way of talking to each other, precisely because you're facing each other. You can hold hands, share food, and look into the other person's eyes, almost exactly as if you were sitting on opposite sides of a table in a restaurant. Being displaced from each other laterally by a foot or so really makes little difference.

Anyone who feels sick during the cruise because they're flying backwards is suffering purely psychological symptoms. Once you're in the cruise, there is no way that you could know from what you feel that you are facing / travelling backwards rather than forwards.

Thanks for your answer.

Now I hope those seat will be available when I fly. BA wants $113.00 per seat per leg for a Buss. class flight, that's nuts, on top of the ticket price.

I am having this dilemma for our 777 LHR>IAH flight next spring. Right now have 2F & 2K since we wanted to try out the double window shades...and hoped that we'd feel like we were traveling as a couple but hard to tell from the seat plans and all the videos I've watched whether our hope is impossible.

What are your thoughts? Should I move from 2F to 3K and just plan on one of us using the ottoman for a meal? We are both big guys so worried that won't be comfortable for the multi-course lunch we plan to enjoy.

I am having this dilemma for our 777 LHR>IAH flight next spring. Right now have 2F & 2K since we wanted to try out the double window shades...and hoped that we'd feel like we were traveling as a couple but hard to tell from the seat plans and all the videos I've watched whether our hope is impossible.

What are your thoughts? Should I move from 2F to 3K and just plan on one of us using the ottoman for a meal? We are both big guys so worried that won't be comfortable for the multi-course lunch we plan to enjoy.

2F and 2K are not adjacent to one another. The window seats in F are angled whereas the centre ones are parallel to the aisle.

Whether or not you're comfortable depends on your definition of "big" and whether that is tall big or, err, rotund big.

fbgd - Thanks for the info...are you saying that if we want to feel like we are traveling together, we need to to be in the 2 middle seats? When I look at the seating plans (and on the videos) it appeared to me that we would be able to communicate (visually if nothing else) in seats on opposite sides of the aisle rather than being seated in front of each other where it would be impossible.

Regarding your second statement- at 6'-7" and 320ish pounds, I qualify for BOTH:D

... are you saying that if we want to feel like we are traveling together, we need to to be in the 2 middle seats? When I look at the seating plans (and on the videos) it appeared to me that we would be able to communicate (visually if nothing else) in seats on opposite sides of the aisle rather than being seated in front of each other where it would be impossible.
The seat plans aren't a good way of seeing this, because they're not scale drawings. You may get a better impression if you go to a site like airliners.net and look at real photos of the cabin (make sure you select the Cabin Views category to avoid having to wade through thousands of photos of the outsides of aircraft).

Personally, if I had the choice, it would either be 2K / 3K or 2EF, but not across the aisle from each other. The ottomans / buddy seats aren't really designed for big people, on any aircraft type, so in your situation I suspect that 2EF might be more comfortable for you.

Trust me, the electric window blinds aren't worth being uncomfortable for.

BA wants $113.00 per seat per leg for a Buss. class flight, that's nuts, on top of the ticket price.
It's not nuts for those of us for whom BA's policy is a distinct advantage. And, collectively, we generally provide the airline with more money every year than those who have to pay for seat pre-allocations.

The seat plans aren't a good way of seeing this, because they're not scale drawings. You may get a better impression if you go to a site like airliners.net and look at real photos of the cabin (make sure you select the Cabin Views category to avoid having to wade through thousands of photos of the outsides of aircraft).

Personally, if I had the choice, it would either be 2K / 3K or 2EF, but not across the aisle from each other. The ottomans / buddy seats aren't really designed for big people, on any aircraft type, so in your situation I suspect that 2EF might be more comfortable for you.

Trust me, the electric window blinds aren't worth being uncomfortable for.

Thanks for letting me know about searching airliners...didn't know I could do an advanced search. From the couple of pictures I could find, it appears to me that we ought to be able to somewhat communicate without both of us being in the center seats. Given it appears that if you want to talk in the center seats you have to lean way forward, I'm not sure it is really going to make much difference.

Thanks for letting me know about searching airliners...didn't know I could do an advanced search. From the couple of pictures I could find, it appears to me that we ought to be able to somewhat communicate without both of us being in the center seats. Given it appears that if you want to talk in the center seats you have to lean way forward, I'm not sure it is really going to make much difference.

Here's a pretty extensive set of photos I took the first time I flew New First. At the time it was the only aircraft fitted with the cabin, and was only about a month into service so I did a pretty extensive write up for one of the other forums I participate on.

https://fbgd.shutterfly.com/5538

From the couple of pictures I could find, it appears to me that we ought to be able to somewhat communicate without both of us being in the center seats. Given it appears that if you want to talk in the center seats you have to lean way forward, I'm not sure it is really going to make much difference.
No, you don't have to lean way forward to talk to each other if you're in the EF seats. See this photo of the 1EF pair in a 17F aircraft - http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Boeing-777-236/2375767/L - all the EF pairs are like this.

If you are seated on opposite sides of the aisle, you will not only have to contend with the fact that the seats are not aligned with each other, but also that they are angled away from each other - see this photo: http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Boeing-777-236-ER/2012294/L. This is part of the privacy designed into the seats. You would be fighting that design to try to talk to each other; it will be much more frustrating than taking an EF pair.

fbgd's photo number 28 demonstrates this well. The photo is primarily of 2K, with 2F immediately to its right. You'd have to do much more than "lean way forward" to talk to each other if you stay in 2F and 2K. It would probably mean that one of you would have to get out of their seat. You might as well be in 2K and 3K.