Thinking 3 in interior room was a mistake!

twinkle toes

Oh boy...this is what i feared. On most of our cruises, we have looked on the inner cabin doors to see "who" was staying in them. Surprisingly, a vast majority of them were Elite cruisers. This made me think they knew something we didn't...well...obviously not!

I am Elite and have booked inside rooms when I've traveled by myself. I've also booked balcony, mini's, and full suites as a solo passenger. I don't think it has anything to do with CC status but the itinerary and price for the particular cruise I want to go on.

As far as two adults and two teens in an inside room, I would definitely not do that. Sounds like suicide!!

An inside room is great for one person or perhaps a couple who are very neat and organized.

We always book inside rooms. The price is great and, for two, they are not bad.

That said, I would never book an inside for 3 adults-especially on a 15 day cruise!

It ill be just too tight for the3 of you.

IMHO.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but we have sailed Inside, oceanview and balcony on Princess. It seems to me that there really isn't any difference in size. 3 adults in any of those categories would probably be tight. It isn't until you get to a deluxe (Royal/Regal) balcony or minisuite that you gain more room. Not having natural light may make the inside feel smaller. We have done a 28 day with an inside and didn't have any problems, but then we didn't have a 3rd person to contend with.

Oh boy...this is what i feared. On most of our cruises, we have looked on the inner cabin doors to see "who" was staying in them. Surprisingly, a vast majority of them were Elite cruisers. This made me think they knew something we didn't...well...obviously not!

Like others have said, it really depends on the people. I travel with a friend...we both are used to living alone, so having even two people in a cabin can seem cramped at times, lol.

Neither of us would book an inside because we spend a great deal of time in the cabin. My main objective in cruising is to relax, so sitting on my balcony, or even in the room with a view of the ocean is all I need for entertainment, but if I enjoyed being out and about, the inside would probably be fine for just sleeping.

Yes, it worked out well for us because we are all really organized and kept our things out of each other's way.

My mom snores horribly, so I would never share a cabin with her. When my stepmom cruises, her stuff is all over the cabin. You can't even see the top of the vanity, lol. I wouldn't even go two people in a cabin with either of them.:eek:

My aunt likes to walk and talk in her sleep, but that's actually pretty funny. On our last cruise, she fell out of bed.:D She didn't get hurt, so that was good. That's another reason why I took the upper berth.:rolleyes:

Edited by partybarbie

Our first cruise was a 10 day SF/Alaska cruise on Sea Princess. We had an inside cabin and it was very small. If you have ever been in an inside cabin on a Grand class of ship and think those are small you should try one on Sea Princess. :)

The inside cabins on the Grand class are listed at 160 sq. ft. The one we had on Sea Princess was only 148 sq. ft.! You had to go outside just to change your mind...

We hit some "weather" the first night and all the next day and people were staggering all over the place. Despite having a tiny cabin, on a high deck, almost all the way forward where the motion was the worst we had a fantastic cruise. My wife practically had to drag me onto the ship for this first cruise but after we were done I wanted to get right back on the ship.

I've sailed in an inside, OV, balcony, and HC accessible Caribe balcony. Every cruise was great. Do I like a balcony? You bet I do. Will I fail to cruise if I have to book an inside cabin? NO WAY. I can deal with an inside cabin just fine.

Edited by Thrak

We just cruised on the Star and we had 3 cabins in the family--Caribe aft balcony, oceanview and interior on the Plaza Deck. The cabins were all essentially the same size. The balcony got the best air circulation because they could keep the door open (but that was Alaska with nice cool breezes). Between the oceanview and interior there was far better air circulation in the interior room. The oceanview would get heated up from the sun each day and would never cool off completely. My only complaint about the interior room is that it seemed darker. Otherwise a great value if you can arrange storage and private time for each person to shower/change, etc. I did wake up disoriented constantly and being able to look out the window immediately definitely helped that feeling go away for me.

Three adults in a princess inside cabin would be very tight indeed. The upper bunk comes over the queen bed.....picture a roof....there is no room to walk around the bed at all. Even when the upper bed is closed, it's hard to negotiate....especially at night, in the dark.

It might work if you were cruising with a little child.....might...might...

My husband and I prefer interior cabins for a variety of reasons. When my daughter cruises with us (she is now 32), she shares the cabin with us and we have absolutely no problems.

One does have to neat and organized in the cabin and plan ahead on how all the clothes and accessories will be stored. We have it down to a science.

The longest cruise taken with three adults in the room was 14 days.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but we have sailed Inside, oceanview and balcony on Princess. It seems to me that there really isn't any difference in size. 3 adults in any of those categories would probably be tight. It isn't until you get to a deluxe (Royal/Regal) balcony or minisuite that you gain more room.

Actually, you're correct. As far as space is concerned there would be no difference.

Not having natural light may make the inside feel smaller. We have done a 28 day with an inside and didn't have any problems, but then we didn't have a 3rd person to contend with.

Perhaps, it would. But the lack of natural light is peanuts compared to having an extra adult in there with you...

We are leaving next month on a 15 day TA in an inside and re looking forward to it!

Three adults in a princess inside cabin would be very tight indeed. The upper bunk comes over the queen bed.....picture a roof....there is no room to walk around the bed at all. Even when the upper bed is closed, it's hard to negotiate....especially at night, in the dark.

It might work if you were cruising with a little child.....might...might...

When there are more than two people in the cabin, with very few exceptions, the queen bed is split into two twins.

Yes, it worked out well for us because we are all really organized and kept our things out of each other's way.

My mom snores horribly, so I would never share a cabin with her. When my stepmom cruises, her stuff is all over the cabin. You can't even see the top of the vanity, lol. I wouldn't even go two people in a cabin with either of them.:eek:

My aunt likes to walk and talk in her sleep, but that's actually pretty funny. On our last cruise, she fell out of bed.:D She didn't get hurt, so that was good. That's another reason why I took the upper berth.:rolleyes:

Now THAT'S funny. ;)

Shared an inside with my sister and her husband once. Worked out well. I was able to find quiet places on the ship to read so didn't spend much time in the Cabin. You can use the showers at the fitness centre. Actually much nicer than the small showers in the room. It was cramped if we were all in the cabin at once trying to walk around, but that didn't happen too often. Usually I was in bed before they came in for the night and got up before them.

Unlike many here, I am happy to stay in an inside cabin with one other person (either my husband or my mother depending on the trip). I would absolutely sail in one with (the right) 3 people if it were that or not cruise. Given a choice though, I would try to stretch the budget and get a slightly larger cabin when putting an extra person in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the great advice!! We are booked on the aloha deck, so quite close to pool and food. Our daughter is quite messy, so definitely going to keep my eyes open for sale. I've already told her to get ear plugs, and told my husband he has to wear breathe rite strips. I'm beginning to think this may be the cruise from hell!

So, I went back on the Princess site and looked to see what was available in Oceanview cabins. I paid 1309 each for inside and 399 for third person. Currently there is a oceanview obstructed available E420 on Grand where basically the bottom third of the window is obstructed by the flat top of one of the rescue type boats. This cabin is currently going for 1589 and 399. At 540 more, would you think this price would be worth it for a partial view and 8 square feet more, or would I be better waiting to see if there is an upsell or sale?

[quote name='twinkle toes']So, I went back on the Princess site and looked to see what was available in Oceanview cabins. I paid 1309 each for inside and 399 for third person. Currently there is a oceanview obstructed available E420 on Grand where basically the bottom third of the window is obstructed by the flat top of one of the rescue type boats. This cabin is currently going for 1589 and 399. At 540 more, would you think this price would be worth it for a partial view and 8 square feet more, or would I be better waiting to see if there is an upsell or sale?[/QUOTE]

Messy and snoring? You're in for a fun time!:D All kidding aside, I did go and look at the Princess site for you. I see that you are on the 15-day Hawaii cruise. Yes, I would switch to the OV obstructed. Try and get one of the ones by the smaller lifeboats. I saw that there was one left in the mid-aft section.

Have the beds made into twins. You and hubby take the nightstands and give messy daughter the vanity. She can throw all her junk in drawers. Put husband on the opposite side of the cabin from you and your daughter. I think it can work, but you have a lot of sea days. Even though the cabin isn't that much bigger, it will seem bigger with the window.

It looks likes there's a lot of cabins left, so you might get a call for an upsell to a balcony. I would still take the OV obstructed for now though.

Since you asked, my thought is that a cruise in and around the Hawaiian Islands would be ten-fold more enjoyable if you had a balcony, or at minimum, a window view. I do applaud your attempt to be frugal (I'm that way too), but to me, the warm tropical breezes and beautiful Hawaiian sunrises and sunsets would be too large of a uniquely-enjoyable feature to be missed and daily experienced, and it seems almost criminal to be cooped up (of course the neutralizer is that if you're travelling from the West Coast you'll have a lot of sea days anyway). Otherwise, the general consensus of sleeping conditions in an inner room for three appear to be a few degrees south of miserable. Why inflict that on yourself -- esp. w/three people -- when your ultimate goal is to have some nice memories you'd like to keep forever?

[quote name='twinkle toes']Wow, after reading thru a bunch of posts about 3 people to an inner room, I am starting to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. My DH, myself and one of our daughters (22) are booked for 15 day Hawaii in November. We have never been in an interior room before, but figured that we would save some money this time since we are visiting France next year. I'm starting to think that the money saved may not be worth the cramped quarters and the flimsy mattress on the upper. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Not suitable for 3 adults unless you have a certain kind of special relationship. Pay a little more and go for a suite. You won't be sorry. It's well worth it. Edited by Kingofcool1947

[quote name='Kingofcool1947']Not suitable for 3 adults unless you have a certain kind of special relationship. Pay a little more and go for a suite. You won't be sorry. It's well worth it.[/QUOTE]

The current difference in cost for three btw inside and suite is $5490. Not exactly a little bit more.

Our first two cruises were 4 of us in an OV cabin. I remember an initial shock when we walked in but within 30 mins we had forgotten about the lack of space and proceeded to have excellent cruises.

We are sailing again with 4 of us in one cabin on Saturday. However we now always cruise with a mini suite and I am not sure we could cope with an OV cabin these days.

I am also drawn to insides for reasons of economy but my husband then reminds me that what sounds great in theory may not be nearly as good in reality.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide to do.