To Roll Call or not to Roll Call - that is the question!

Vict0riann

I have read all the stickies on HAL's roll call forum, and still have a few questions. I know some of you participate in roll calls and some, not. I'd like to hear some pro's and con's. Also, when is a good time to start a roll call? We're over 14 months out, and I hesitate to start one, as I have never begun one before, and actually only participated in 4 or 5. My DH loves starting off already having "friends" on board, I'm a bit shyer. And, what happens if you have to cancel the cruise, for health or any other reason? We're getting on, and there's always that worry. I feel that being the OP on a roll call implies some sort of commitment to the cruise, although I have seen a lot of people leaving a roll call if they change their plans.

Just wondering...:)

I have read all the stickies on HAL's roll call forum, and still have a few questions. I know some of you participate in roll calls and some, not. I'd like to hear some pro's and con's. Also, when is a good time to start a roll call? We're over 14 months out, and I hesitate to start one, as I have never begun one before, and actually only participated in 4 or 5. My DH loves starting off already having "friends" on board, I'm a bit shyer. And, what happens if you have to cancel the cruise, for health or any other reason? We're getting on, and there's always that worry. I feel that being the OP on a roll call implies some sort of commitment to the cruise, although I have seen a lot of people leaving a roll call if they change their plans.

Having had the pleasure of being on roll calls with you, I highly recommend you start your roll call. I have been on several roll calls where the OP who started the roll call cancelled the cruise.

Starting the roll call carries no more commitment than membership in the roll call IMO. Someone has to start the roll call after all.

Some of the best roll calls I have been on were roll calls that were started over a year out as there is time to plan, get to know people, etc.

A lot of people are nervous to start a roll call and you may find there are a bunch of people waiting for the roll call to appear magically ;).

I vote that you get your roll call rolling and start it :)

I don't know… The last two roll calls I've been a part of(one NCL one RCCL), and not trying to offend anyone, have been a JOKE. It honestly seems CCL has the most participation on roll calls. I don't know if it's age, lack of enthusiasm, or cruise nonchalance. I have been a part of some AWESOME roll calls(all CCL). None lately though…

When there is a lot of participation….they are GREAT. Sharing knowledge and information is really helpful too all! I've met some GREAT folks and made some wonderful memories all because of the people I've been and become friends with on roll calls. Met people before the cruise….don't excursions/beach/activities during cruise, AND still friends AFTER cruise!

I say give it a try…I always do. You'll never know unless you try!

I'm not sure there are any real cons to participating in a roll call. I also like to have new "friends" right at the start of a cruise.

I've started one roll call and participated in a few. In fact, I only joined CC, after lurking for a while, because I wanted to see the roll call and maybe join some tours. At that time, we were still somewhat new to cruising and stuck only with ship excursions.

You do get to know people on your cruise, which can help even if knowing who to avoid!! I've been lucky to participate in two very active roll calls, one of which was for a 5 day cruise!! For my upcoming cruise, there is no roll call yet. I could start one but we're not fully committed to the cruise yet.

Sometimes, starting a roll call which might lead some to the presumption that the person starting the roll call will organize the M&G. I knew I didn't have the time to commit to it, for the one I started, and said so. Fortunately, someone else stepped up to the task (and did a very good job, too).

I have also looked at roll calls for cruises that I'm considering, just to see if there is someone with whom I want to cruise. Sometimes, that tips the scale in favour of booking that cruise. Of course, it works the other way, too.;)

I am in a roll call that began 14 months before the cruise. New people join each week. I'm getting the names and will, hopefully, have them in my brain when we have our M&G. We don't know when or who will plan it yet, but it's out there for someone to accept.

Ann: If it were not for the Roll Call, I would not have met you, Pat, and the rest of the gang, and I would not have had the best cruise ever. Consequently, since I suffered from Roll Call Withdrawal, I started our Far East Passage Roll Call about a year out. The worst part was, due to nervousness, making a spelling mistake in the heading! Now, never mind what everyone else may think of my literacy, each time I go to the Roll Call, that mistake slaps me in the face.

Lonny

I'm 'new' to cruising and CC. I started the roll call for my Meditteranean cruise next year also about 14 months out. So far, no activity. I won't feel obligated to do the meet and greet. I'm just interested in the insights and comments of others. I joined a Mexico one for December. There are about five members. So far, people have just dialled in to announce their presence. I already have my excursions booked for that one, but I am interested in what the discussions may be all the same. I'd say go ahead and start it but it may be a while before there is any action!

I've had some very good roll calls (and met people who I'm happy to say have become close, long-time friends). I have also had "dead" roll calls. It's the roll of the dice. It takes at least 2 "chatty posters".

There's nothing wrong with starting a roll call and then later canceling the cruise. But if you start a roll call and then have to cancel, please come back and let people know. (not saying you would do this). :) But it happens, unfortunately.

I don't think that there's any downside to the roll calls, unless you are very protective of your privacy. We've done a grand total of 1 meet and greet, but it's nice to be able to communicate with other people who are anticipating the same travel experience.

For us, it was nice to put faces to the names we know from the site. In all honesty, everyone we've met from CruiseCritic has been really nice. I'd highly recommend participating in your roll call.

I do not think it matters who starts the roll call. I have been on some that have had the "starter" never post again and others where that person is very active. What really works is having a couple of people being active and get some good discussions going - that perks up everyone's interest and willingness to get involved.

Also, you should be willing to share your ideas, experiences and findings concerning your upcoming cruise. I have found some great hotel deals on roll call boards, plus some fantastic tips on things to do in port and great research websites to refer to.

I also like to attend the meet & greets. I have met some great people at them and it is nice to be able to place a face with a CC name. Sometimes you never see these people again, but other times you become friends and stay in touch even after the cruise.

Do not be afraid to organize the Meet & Greet for your cruise. I did my first one on my last cruise and it was quite easy and not very time consuming (to be honest about it). CC has a great "sticky post" that tells you the exact steps to take, plus the HAL has people assigned to setup the details for you (and they are great to work with).

Ann, you and Pat are our friends thanks to a roll call that started well before our cruise together. I can attest that starting the roll call does NOT mean you have to be "in charge" of the M&G or name tags, if that is not your thing.

One of my current roll calls had the OP cancel, so I took over the M&G and another person took on the roll call listing. You can tell folks up front if you don't want to organize the M&G. You would be great at it, I'm sure.

I always state that I will do the M&G and name tags. If anybody else wants to do a gift exchange, group meal or cabin crawl, it is up to someone other than me to organize it. Sometimes another person wants to volunteer, but often not.

As for roll call participation, the longer the cruise, the more active the roll call. Longer cruises also start roll calls earlier, as they often have the more "exotic" ports of call. I've been on a few that started a year or more out.

Go for it, and say "hi" to the man with the hat from Bill and me.

We enjoy roll calls and usually meet great people. We did have one very unfortunate roll call experience (on Celebrity). I set up some private tours and there was quite a bit of fun e-mailing back and forth. Finally one new "friend" asked if we wanted share a table for dinner with a few friends--since we got along so well. For the face to face meeting we really disliked each other on so many levels--it made dinner time a dreaded ordeal. There just wasn't an easy way to change tables since we had requested to be seated together (or I was just a coward and didn't want to make waves).

So now we do enjoy roll calls, and will share tours but have learned to be cautious about other plans.

Just to add......the OP that starts the roll call thread does NOT have to organize the meet and greet. They are simply starting the roll call. The meet and greet can be organized by whomever on the roll call and sometimes, someone will even offer ;)

There is no obligation on the part of the OP to do the meet and greet. It's a voluntary thing and not an obligation ;)

Is there a per person charge for the goodies provided for a M&G?

no, if arranged through HAL, they provide the room, water, coffee, tea and cookies. That is the standard "goodies" supplied. You can also ask for a no host bar (translation, everyone buys their own drinks).

I had to go and do a bit of gardening, and came back to many replies. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I suppose the first step would be to start the roll call (actually 2, I think, because it's two separate cruises joined, and Host Walt said to make it separate roll calls in that case.) Then wait and see what happens. I do know I couldn't manage a spreadsheet, as some of the more tech savvy CCers do! But I could keep a list of the people joining, and perhaps someone else would be willing to share the load!:)

I will certainly make a mental note to not invite anyone to dinner until after I have met them!!!:eek: Actually, we have met some great people on CC and roll calls, some of whom have replied to my questions on this thread, Kazu, Nanner, Mame, POA1 and Alberta Quilter, and I wouldn't hesitate to invite them to dinner...:D

And Lonny, I'll be sure to double check my spelling!

The positive. things I have learned from Roll calls which hotel , air , transport, semi private tours, things to see and eat, new friends, price watching,( this has saved me $$$) port tips, and much more. Not all Roll Calls are winners BUT most are

Edited by we're sailing away....

I usually participate in roll calls...we have met life long friends on some of them:) and have actually sailed together again..and met each other multiple times even though we live on opposite sides of the country.

Some roll calls are wonderful..others not...I have a great one going for our Bermuda cruise...not so much for the RCI one..and I have high hopes for the Hal cruise..but it is a long way out!!

I think discussion before a cruise is a wonderful .... ideas from different cruisers always expand my plans of what to do in port...or even on the ship.

We have done cabin crawls, slot pulls, cocktail parties, gift exchanges...in addition to the meet and greet .....always lots of fun and we occasionally have shared a few tours together.

I, too, am pro-Roll Calls simply because I like to get to know some folks before embarking and trying to learn from their experiences. And, if I can be helpful in sharing mine as well, I enjoy doing that, too.

I am terrible with remembering names after I first meet people only briefly. Thus, large Roll Calls, meeting lots of new people in a short time period, does cause me problems.

I have been responsible in setting up M & Gs a few times. Most turned out well; one, I was the only one who showed up (but it was a very small Roll Call).

I am slightly irked when someone who starts a Roll Call decides not to take that cruise, but never returns to the Roll Call to explain their disappearance.

I have made some very good friends through the Roll Calls and have even sailed with some of these good folks again. Looking forward to doing so again in September on the Statendam's voyage to Singapore.

Edited by rkacruiser

I, too, am pro-Roll Calls simply because I like to get to know some folks before embarking and trying to learn from their experiences. And, if I can be helpful in sharing mine as well, I enjoy doing that, too.

Most of the roll calls that we have been on have been very good, getting to know your fellow cruisers and sharing experiences.:) There have been roll calls that we consider terrible. No friendlyness, no getting to know anyone;only used as a basis for a spread sheet for non-HAL shorex.:eek: Heaven help you if you indicated that you prefer HAL excursions for whatever the reason.:p

Most of the roll calls that we have been on have been very good, getting to know your fellow cruisers and sharing experiences.:) There have been roll calls that we consider terrible. No friendlyness, no getting to know anyone;only used as a basis for a spread sheet for non-HAL shorex.:eek: Heaven help you if you indicated that you prefer HAL excursions for whatever the reason.:p

I agree totally...we don't do a lot of shore excursions..and are very picky..bad MVA many years ago in St. Thomas...so I join a roll call to socialize and find pleasure in talking to like minded people about cruising...When I was working...I got to the point where I would not even mention a cruise...a lot of people do not understand the cruising lifestyle...LOL

I am terrible with remembering names after I first meet people only briefly. Thus, large Roll Calls, meeting lots of new people in a short time period, does cause me problems.

I have been responsible in setting up M & Gs a few times. Most turned out well; one, I was the only one who showed up (but it was a very small Roll Call).

I am slightly irked when someone who starts a Roll Call decides not to take that cruise, but never returns to the Roll Call to explain their disappearance.

I have made some very good friends through the Roll Calls and have even sailed with some of these good folks again. Looking forward to doing so again in September on the Statendam's voyage to Singapore.

I was recently on a roll call where the OP just disappeared. She was very friendly and chatty for quite some time and then she just stopped posting, leaving people to wonder what happened to her. I later saw elsewhere that she had cancelled the cruise to book another instead. I personally think it is very rude and inconsiderate to start a roll call and get things going and then not let others know you are cancelling.

Maybe I am in the minority on this point; I don't know. What do others think?

On the other hand, I have made some really great friends on roll calls and do enjoy them for that reason.

I was recently on a roll call where the OP just disappeared. She was very friendly and chatty for quite some time and then she just stopped posting, leaving people to wonder what happened to her. I later saw elsewhere that she had cancelled the cruise to book another instead. I personally think it is very rude and inconsiderate to start a roll call and get things going and then not let others know you are cancelling.

Maybe I am in the minority on this point; I don't know. What do others think?

On the other hand, I have made some really great friends on roll calls and do enjoy them for that reason.

In my opinion, it is inconsiderate at the least; rude at the most.