Frech wine country: when?

JPH814

A River cruise in France, including the bordeaux wine region, is on my bucket list. River cruises in this area span from March through October. Summer is out - I refuse to deal with the heat. So what are the advantages and disadvantages of Spring vs Summer?

Spring dates are about 20% cheaper.

Fall is harvest season - (is this a plus or a negative?)

Bordeaux is on the coast, so according to the weather websites it never gets really hot (July is hottest month, with average high of 80 and rarely goes past 89):

https://weatherspark.com/averages/32067/Bordeaux-Aquitaine-France

But if wine is your focus, you might want to choose your time based on what is happening in the vineyards and chateaux -- this website gives a detailed description:

http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/wine-topics/how-to-visit-bordeaux-top-chateau-for-the-best-wine-tastings/

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Thanks JB. Good article and food for thought.

The trip we are considering is a week river cruise in paris/normandy followed by a week river cruise in wine country. We did paris/Versailles etc in july once before. Never again.

Being in wine country during the fall harvest would be interesting. But maybe the spring is a little less hectic for the wineries.

Then there is the price. About $4000 less in the spring.

Hoping to get some first hand experiences.

We have been to Provence twice. Last year in November, which was very nice and this year in July which was crowded and miserably hot. We much prefer fall in Europe to summer and would consider spring as well. However, the seasonal cuisine in fall for us is preferable. And the colors as well.

Being in wine country during the fall harvest would be interesting. But maybe the spring is a little less hectic for the wineries.

I was thinking the same (based on reviews of Rhine cruises), but the article I referenced says that in Bordeaux tourists are not particularly welcome during the harvest because everybody's working their butts off in the vineyards!

My experience is that the harvest time or just after is the peak time to visit wineries. Often they have special events, etc. That said, it is chaotic and busy.., and lots of people there. So, is the goal to drink awesome wines and to learn about how they are made or to be there when lots is going on? if learning about wine and drinking wine is the goal, then that is not the best time. Wines lay in barrels and bottles for months and years, so the best time to visit for the wines is when it is slow. The best time to visit for things going on is in October (in the northern hemisphere) I have visited wineries, in South America, Central America (I know who knew), North America (all over Canada, California, Missouri, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina, Texas (really stop Texas....) ok, moving on Hawaii. New Zealand, Australia, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Germany, Romania, Serbia, and a few others I can't think of right now. Oooh, Austria, Italy... more will come if I think about it. I have visited wineries in all these places and more.

My experience says that when they are working the harvest they may not want you around but you being around enhances their paychecks.

jc

bordeaux wine region, is on my bucket list. River cruises in this area span from March through October. what are the advantages and disadvantages of Spring vs Summer?

Spring dates are about 20% cheaper.

20% cheaper is big attraction.

Difference: we went with Viking in March this year. Drawbacks - vineyards are bare of leaf, it's not hot (which is an advantage to you),

Advantages: its not crowded and there are things to see., such as workers in fields pruning vines, replanting, erecting new stakes/trellises.

Advantage of autumn visit: vines in leaf and bearing grapes, maybe see picking.

Disadvanges: may have some restriction on entering parts of winery where they are working. I think that all the advertised cruise tours will go ahead, but it may be hard to arrange private visits. 20% more expensive

• 4 weeks later...

If you are interested in a variety of French wines, I recommend the Soane/Rhone Rivers. I am just back from a Scenic River cruise. We had wine tastings of burgundy, beaujolais, syrah and Chateaunerf-du-pape. The Scenic Emerald has a wonderful wine room right in the dining room filled with delicious French wines. At Chateaunerf-du-Pape one of the butlers took our excursions and loaded up with 60 cases of more wines!

I am on the Avalon Grand France trip 10/20/15. The Burgundy and Provence portion of the trip is a wine-themed cruise. We are to visit wineries, have lectures, etc. can't wait!!!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk