Formal night Specialty Restaurants

wcflats

I have seen comments that the specialty restaurants do not require formal attire on formal nights. It seems to be hit or miss. I have done both - formal dress and smart casual on formal nights. On a cruise a few years ago my friend and I were turned away wearing smart casual on formal night and were requested to put on a jacket which we did. Other times smart casual was fine. Anyone have any advice or experience on this issue?

Smart casual but on formal nights have seen several wearing formalwear.

OP...like so many things standardization is sometimes lacking and some staff make up their own rules based on their preferences & not of the cruise line. The Patter clearly states that on formal nights to "please observe the dress code in the Traditional and Anytime Dining venues".

Edited by Astro Flyer

We just got off the Grand Princess. We did the first formal night in the Crown Grill. The second formal night we dressed for the MDR to find most men had shirts with no ties. Less than half the men wore jackets. One guy was in a golf shirt. So much for the dress code. I wish Princess would eliminate formal nights and most people don't care to dress up.

I have seen comments that the specialty restaurants do not require formal attire on formal nights. It seems to be hit or miss. I have done both - formal dress and smart casual on formal nights. On a cruise a few years ago my friend and I were turned away wearing smart casual on formal night and were requested to put on a jacket which we did. Other times smart casual was fine. Anyone have any advice or experience on this issue?

Turned way from where?

I always thought the specialty restaurants have been casual on formal nights.

I have never heard anyone say they are hit and miss. :confused:

Turned way from where?

I always thought the specialty restaurants have been casual on formal nights.

I have never heard anyone say they are hit and miss. :confused:

I think it was Crown Grill on Ruby where there was a rogue Maitre'd. Didn't last long.

As for getting rid of Formal, you never know, apparently HAL just got rid of Jackets being a requirement on Formal Night and they have always required a jacket in the specialty restaurants...maybe Princess is next.

I think it was Crown Grill on Ruby where there was a rogue Maitre'd. Didn't last long.

As I said earlier in post #7

For a while after the Ruby was put into service the specialty restaurants there required formal night clothing on formal nights even while every other ship in the fleet had smart casual those nights.

Ah, the joy of formal night. When you fly your best clothes halfway around the world to impress people you've never met.

I don't dress to impress other people. I dress to impress myself.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Ah, the joy of formal night. When you fly your best clothes halfway around the world to impress people you've never met.

I thought it was VERY FUNNY, because no matter what the ...take everything so literal....People say, it true to SOME degree.

If you want to dine in Sabatini's or the Crown Grill on a formal night make the reservation as soon as you board the ship. The formal nights fill up first. I waiting a couple of hours after boarding once and the formal nights were already booked.

... and "probably" won't meet again, after the cruise is over.

If your goal is to impress others... As several have said here, there are other reasons to dress up.