Standees

balf

It's a matter of opinion on what you find entertaining, if you want to show your appreciation by standing whilst you applaud then go ahead, it's hardly going to ruin my experience and I'm certainly not conceited enough to think that only I know what truly warrants a standing ovation.

I've seen very few on Cunard ships, I think the Beatles tribute act got one on our 3 Queens trip to Liverpool, I didn't join in, I wasn't that overwhelmed.

There were at least a couple of times that it happened on the b to b on QM2 in July.

Maybe you've been unlucky, or rather lucky.

There you are sitting with a good view of the stage and suddenly all you can see is rows of people's backsides. Most I'm sure are conforming to herd instinct and would certainly not have stood up without the prompting from the front row.

Similar I think to the false dolphin sightings, but that's for another thread.

David.

Well, as our wonderful host Hattie has previously pointed out, it's not a new phenomenon and as for the need to do it I've always understood that it's for the individual to show the performer that they really enjoyed their act.

Carry on.

And the point being made was that said standing ovation was not in any way deserved, i.e. a mediocre (at best) act/show/song/performance. So the question remains; why do people feel the need to go way over the top ?

We often go to shows we might or might not enjoy because it's always worth giving something a go.

We always sit at the end of a row because I am somewhat claustrophobic and want to be able to "get out quickly" if I feel panicky.

If we find the show is not to our liking then we leave.

On land we would only pay good money to go to something that we are fairly confident we will enjoy. If we get it wrong we leave at the interval.

And the point being made was that said standing ovation was not in any way deserved, i.e. a mediocre (at best) act/show/song/performance. So the question remains; why do people feel the need to go way over the top ?

Who says that the performance was mediocre (at best), the poster? So those who thought that it was good enough should remain seated until someone with the wisdom and knowledge of what constitutes a great performance in the entertainment industry gives them the nod that it was worthy of a standing ovation?

Who says that the performance was mediocre (at best), the poster? So those who thought that it was good enough should remain seated until someone with the wisdom and knowledge of what constitutes a great performance in the entertainment industry gives them the nod that it was worthy of a standing ovation?

Well I didn't say it was mediocre, though I would not turn out at home to see any but a very few of the performers I have seen over the years on cruise ships.

But why does any ovation have to be standing. Isn't a seated ovation that is longer and louder than normal good enough. And of course passengers can express their adulation in the cruise survey at the end of the cruise. Far more useful to the performer because good marks should help re - bookings.

David.

If I went along to a show I was unsure I was going to like, I would deliberately sit near the door/aisle-end to minimise disruption to fellow guests. If I was sitting in the middle of a row, I probably would just sit there until the bitter end.

I always sit near the door/aisle because my DH has no patience to sit thru something he is not enjoying and I want to minimize disruption. I would guess many folks who sit in these seats have the same in mind.

And why so many requests throughout the show 'to show our appreciation to the Royal Court orchestra'?

Surely once is enough :confused:

We sit towards the back on the end of a row if we are unsure as to whether or not we will enjoy the show.

We leave with as little inconvenience to others as we can.

Why put yourselves through 45 minutes of discomfort if you're not enjoying it?

After all it is your holiday.

The "standing ovation", at least in New York theatres, was until fairly recently reserved for truly outstanding performances. In recent years it has become almost the rule - somehow, with the Broadway market being so expensive, with very few tickets available for less than $100, the out-of-towner tourists seem to want to think that they have gotten their money's worth and will treat every performance as spectacular. Once you get a "critical mass" rising to clap, the bulk of the sheep will follow.

It's overuse has rendered the standing ovation meaningless.

That said, if I am at a performance that I find lackluster or otherwise unacceptable I will exercise my right to walk out. If good performers deserve applause surely poor ones cannot complain about such mild censure.

Of course, that approach is not appropriate at a school performance - where students should receive encouragement. But a professional actor who does not do his job must deal with hurt feelings.

I had to look that site up. Good God, no.

Hahaha! Good to hear! Though you might be amused to note that the original blogger has moved on to writing 'bodice-ripper' novels. I'm not sure how one follows the other though! I'll stick to cruising and leave the cognitive dissonance to my elders. [emoji14]

Vox Populi perhaps.

Yes particularly on Cunard ships.

Could it be an American thing?

David.

To me it appears this American thing is now common in Canada. Almost every live production gets a standing ovation and I have to wonder how we can show appreciation for something that is truly outstanding. We attend at least two West End plays on each of our (almost) annual visits to England and the only standing ovation I recall in recent decades was for Dame Helen Mirren who portrayed the Queen in The Audience.

I'm not sure why anyone would take umbridge with people standing up to applaud a performance in the theatre on a cruise ship.

Some people go on holiday to enjoy themselves and if they decide to show appreciation of a performance by standing to applaud I'm not sure why that should be questioned.

We have been on many cruises across a number of cruise lines and have seen a variety of shows. Some are not particularly good but even for those, we would still politely applaud at the end, even if we slept through the performance. We have equally seen some extremely talented performers and have seen very many enjoyable shows. We may even have stood to applaud some.

There seem to be a number of people who are critical of the quality of entertainment in the theatre so I would presume you would exercise your right to while away the evening in some other way, rather than sit through something you are expecting to be of poor quality.

I'm not aware of any cruise ships who sign up Broadway or Las Vegas headline acts so I think we should not expect to be royally entertained. There will be some good shows and some not so good. The choice to attend is entirely down to the individual.

We look upon a visit to the theatre as part of our evening entertainment and are looking forward to seeing what is on offer in September.

Happy cruising!

Del.