Domestic flights

Knobhdy

Flights from Vancouver to Dallas are even considered domestic - no free beer and wine.

How is this possible? I understand possibly for Duty Free items but I believe it is still considered international travel and in need of a passport, customs, etc. At least that is what we have been told when booking into Vancouver.

The definition of domestic flight is any flight that begins and ends in the same country. Therefore a flight that starts in Fairbanks and ends in New York is a domestic flight. Flights that begin in Vancouver, Canada and end in the United States are international flights (which is also why you have to go through Canadian customs to enter Vancouver and US customs to leave Vancouver and enter the US).

Flights from Vancouver to Dallas are even considered domestic...

How is this possible?

The definition of domestic flight is any flight that begins and ends in the same country.... Flights that begin in Vancouver, Canada and end in the United States are international flights (which is also why you have to go through Canadian customs to enter Vancouver and US customs to leave Vancouver and enter the US).

Which is why when you go through U.S Customs pre-clearance in Vancouver, you are considered to be in the United States, thus any flight from Vancouver to anywhere in the States is considered domestic. It's actually pretty slick. :)

How is this possible? I understand possibly for Duty Free items but I believe it is still considered international travel and in need of a passport, customs, etc. At least that is what we have been told when booking into Vancouver.

I'm talking about how the airline views the flight from a crew perspective, not customs. For the crew it's just another day at the office. And for the passenger, free beer, trust me I asked!

Yes the passenger arriving in the US from Vancouver is treated just like they are arriving on a domestic flight because the passenger clears US customs in Vancouver. So you do not have to go through US customs again when you arrive in the US. But Vanvouver is an international destination for US passengers thus the reason for the requirement to go through customs when arriving in Vancouver from the US and prior to entering the US from Canada.

However the op asked if a flight from Fairbanks to New York is a domestic flight and the answer is yes because both Fairbanks and New York are in the US.