How long for anytime dining? can they speed up at request?

LMaxwell

We have anytime dining for a cruise with a 10 month old. How long is your average dinner in the MDR? I'd guess 75-90 minutes? Will they speed things up at request? It may be better if we are in and out in 45-60 minutes with a young child.

Most nights, yes about 75 minutes is pretty accurate, but some nights, it did take longer. Especially if you were still being served when they did the performance. They pause everything to do the sining and dancing.

Honestly, I feel like it would be appropriate to tell them you like to eat dinner quickly, and I'm sure they will do their best to accommodate you. I have considered doing this on my last cruise, especially when service ran long.

I really do not think it is appropriate to ask them to speed up - everyone wants to be in and out in a timely manner, and for the most part they already bring out food as quickly as possible. Think of how many meals are being served. I have found being one of the first diners gets you in and out faster. You can also order less courses. You can also eat at Lido.

I really do not think it is appropriate to ask them to speed up - everyone wants to be in and out in a timely manner, and for the most part they already bring out food as quickly as possible. Think of how many meals are being served. I have found being one of the first diners gets you in and out faster. You can also order less courses. You can also eat at Lido.

Why would it be inappropriate if we are in anytime dining at our own table? I think it is less appropriate to have a baby have a meltdown and annoy other diners. Since we'll have the baby with us we're going to aim to go as early as possible. Is it inappropriate to ask them to bring our starters and mains at the same time; that could definitely save us time.

Mixed feelings if Lido is easier or not with a child - especially as they will puree food in the MDR and I don't know if they will in the Lido; don't want to pass up the food and service our fare has paid for unless there are comparable options in the Lido buffet.

I think of it this way, how can the servers read your mind. They have no way of knowing which cruisers are the ones who want to be through dinner quickly and which ones want to have a slow quiet dinner. They can not guess, so if you want to be through dinner quickly, if feel like it does help them to tell them. How else would they know?

We have anytime dining for a cruise with a 10 month old. How long is your average dinner in the MDR? I'd guess 75-90 minutes? Will they speed things up at request? It may be better if we are in and out in 45-60 minutes with a young child.

I agree that the earlier you dine the more likely to get your meal done faster.

The wait staff have helped us get done faster on the couple of times we asked.

I do not think it is inappropriate to ask if it's possible to serve the meal faster, heck, I'd ask them to bring it all at once if possible. Saves them time too!

Some people like a long leisurely dinner while others may not...it never hurts to ask!

I would imagine that the servers have a pretty keen sense that those who have very young children will need to be in & out faster to avoid a meltdown and I appreciate the OP for considering the diners around him not wanting a flipped out baby!!

Did not know they will purée food in the MDR for the wee ones! Awesome!

Edited by silvercrikhix

OP, I think since you will have your own table, if you talk to them the first night and just let them know the baby tends to get cranky around the 45 minute mark, and anything they could do to speed up your dinner, they would probably be more than happy to oblige.

I am sure they don't want to hear a cranky, crying baby either.:D:D

Also, slipping the head waiter a $20 on the first night wouldn't hurt, either.;)

I commend you for wanting to make your vacation fit your lifestyle while also thinking of the other patrons and staff at the MDR. If I were the waitstaff or the other vacationers in one of the surrounding tables I would be completely appreciative of you requesting a speedy dinner to avoid meltdowns as much as possible. I think this is a kind request that the servers would be more than happy to accommodate.

Personally, my hubby and I like to have time for other activities during our evenings besides a long dinner. We have told waiters we were trying to make it to the early (clean) comedy show before and they have always been very happy to please and got us out quickly. Of course, we don't order an app, salad, entree, dessert, and coffees. We also don't expect them to be miracle workers or slack on the other guests, but somehow they almost always get us out on time and with a very cheerful attitude. As long as you are respectful of them, they are respectful of you and include a smile to boot! :p We do show up at opening time for the MDR as the service is faster before it gets terribly crowded.

Cheers and have fun making wonderful memories with your little one. They grow up so fast!

HI,

There are several ways to speed up your dining experience! If you go early before the station is full of other diners and you tell the waiter you are ready to order when you sit down, that will speed things up.

You can also ask them to serve several courses or apps and salads etc. whenever they are ready.

You can also take your dessert to go if you find the baby getting cranky.

I wouldn't use the words " can service be speedy tonight for us" but I'd be pro active and do some of the things I have suggested if you want to get out quicker than usual.

I'll stay away from all the fodder and say this. I do understand the OPs request. I didn't bring my kids cruising that young but we did go out to dinner all of the time with both of them. And there were plenty of times I needed the process to move along. I wanted to eat out but I knew they had their limits back then. 30 minutes max!

That said, I think the waiters are already moving as fast as they can. They are serving a ton of tables and people and only have a certain amount of time to get it done. When they have performances, you can see them rushing trying to get it all done - especially with the early seating.

You can always ask. Meanwhile, try and help the process along by looking at the menu ahead of time or as quickly as possible and limiting additional requests. Just a suggesting. Take it or leave it.

Enjoy your cruise.

Op, we have cruised with our grandchildren in that age range. Our experience hs been they will do their best to give you a quality MDR experience. They understand the issues of cursing with very small children. After you board, go to see the Maitre'd and ask them how best you can get dinner while still enjoying the MDR experience. Having cruised with our grand children a fair amount, the age that presents the most challenge is 2 to 3 years old. Your experience may vary but hope it helps.

We cruised with one grandson when he was 1 and than earlier this year when he was 4 and his brother was just over 1.

They will do their best to accommodate you. We took turns putting the little one in a stroller and going for a walk when necessary.

We did anytime dining and several nights we were in and out in under 40 minutes. Ymmv

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

This is what I'm hoping to accomplish - did you ask for speedy service, or it just worked out that way? And what time did you go?

This is what I'm hoping to accomplish - did you ask for speedy service, or it just worked out that way? And what time did you go?

We went early, were ready to order right away, and we didn't linger over our courses. We didn't request fast service, but when you are finished with one, they bring your next course.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

That said, I think the waiters are already moving as fast as they can. They are serving a ton of tables and people and only have a certain amount of time to get it done.

I'm not necessarily sure that is true. Many of these waiters are from countries where dining is a long, leisurely experience. Many CRUISERS don't like to be rushed when dining, and want to take a long time to savor each course, to talk over a glass of wine, etc.

The waiter can't know if you want a leisurely dinner where things are not brought out right on top of each other, or a speedy dinner unless you tell them.

And then, sometimes the waiters are just bad- we had some dinners stretch well past the 2 1/2 hour mark... I don't think that can even be considered 'leisurely'. It was painful- we'd get appetizers when the table one over, with a different waiter, (that was sat at the exact same time as us) was getting dessert!

OP, I think since you will have your own table, if you talk to them the first night and just let them know the baby tends to get cranky around the 45 minute mark, and anything they could do to speed up your dinner, they would probably be more than happy to oblige.

I am sure they don't want to hear a cranky, crying baby either.:D:D

Also, slipping the head waiter a $20 on the first night wouldn't hurt, either.;)

Why is tipping the first night before they perform their service be a good idea? Tips are for good service, and not bribes.