Sea Witch Beers

IECalCruiser

We got a good chuckle last week on the Regal. While ordering the Seawitch in the dining room, DH asked where it was brewed. The server answered, "India". The guy was serious. :D

DH wasn't impressed. Enjoyed beers at the ports rather than onboard.

Edited by eandj

On the Crown in Alaska a couple of weeks ago, they had the IPA and the Denali Red. The IPA was bitter and gross, but the Denali Red was drinkable.

Unfortunately, the addition of these two beers means that they discontinued the Alaskan Brewing beers that they've had on board in the past. I was very upset! :mad:

On the Crown in Alaska a couple of weeks ago, they had the IPA and the Denali Red. The IPA was bitter and gross, but the Denali Red was drinkable.

Unfortunately, the addition of these two beers means that they discontinued the Alaskan Brewing beers that they've had on board in the past. I was very upset! :mad:

I've got to laugh. DW hates IPAs in general. Of course it is always a matter personal taste. My personal taste says I like IPAs and while Seawitch IPA wasn't the best IPA I've ever tasted, it wasn't the worst either. For me it was in the middle of the pack.

On a less serious note, it's fly season here in Tucson. When DW and I are at the local watering hole, enjoying some cold adult beverages on the outdoor patio, the following can be observed: The flies love to land on DW's beer glass while they avoid the IPA altogether. I'll leave it up to the reader to personally decide what this means. ;)

Edited by beg3yrs

On a less serious note, it's fly season here in Tucson. When DW and I are at the local watering hole, enjoying some cold adult beverages on the outdoor patio, the following can be observed: The flies love to land on DW's beer glass while they avoid the IPA altogether. I'll leave it up to the reader to personally decide what this means. ;)

:D Very interesting!

I've got to laugh. DW hates IPAs in general. Of course it is always a matter personal taste. My personal taste says I like IPAs and while Seawitch IPA wasn't the best IPA I've ever tasted, it wasn't the worst either. For me it was in the middle of the pack.

It's obvious. Flies love "poop" and garbage. Naturally they would land on a glass of something like Budweiser before selecting an IPA. :)

My wife and I tried the Sea Witch IPA. Since we live in Chico, CA where Sierra Nevada Brewery is located and also sometimes visit the coast where Mendocino Brewing Company, Russian River Brewing Company, and Lost Coast Brewery are located we are somewhat snobbish about beer. We were both unimpressed with the Sea Witch. Granted, given the horrible selection Princess carries, it was probably the best beer onboard but it was a bit "meh" and hardly worth paying for.

Now if Princess would start carrying something like Pliny The Elder as their IPA or Old Rasputin as a nice Imperial Stout then I would have to say they were improving their line of beer. Sea Witch is an improvement but only a marginal improvement.

It's obvious. Flies love "poop" and garbage. Naturally they would land on a glass of something like Budweiser before selecting an IPA. :)

My wife and I tried the Sea Witch IPA. Since we live in Chico, CA where Sierra Nevada Brewery is located and also sometimes visit the coast where Mendocino Brewing Company, Russian River Brewing Company, and Lost Coast Brewery are located we are somewhat snobbish about beer. We were both unimpressed with the Sea Witch. Granted, given the horrible selection Princess carries, it was probably the best beer onboard but it was a bit "meh" and hardly worth paying for.

Now if Princess would start carrying something like Pliny The Elder as their IPA or Old Rasputin as a nice Imperial Stout then I would have to say they were improving their line of beer. Sea Witch is an improvement but only a marginal improvement.

Another vote for Pliny The Elder!! Luckily that stuff is brewed practically in my backyard, but sure would be nice to have available on cruises as well.:D

Another vote for Pliny The Elder!! Luckily that stuff is brewed practically in my backyard, but sure would be nice to have available on cruises as well.:D

The brewery cut Chico off last year. You can get Pliny in freaking Colorado but not in northern California. Sad. Very sad. They aren't likely to get people from Colorado to visit Santa Rosa whereas people from Chico might well become dedicated customers. Whatever the reasoning, Pliny is no more in my home town.

The brewery cut Chico off last year. You can get Pliny in freaking Colorado but not in northern California. Sad. Very sad. They aren't likely to get people from Colorado to visit Santa Rosa whereas people from Chico might well become dedicated customers. Whatever the reasoning, Pliny is no more in my home town.

Russian River (Pliney the Elder) has a county-to-county type of restriction for sales. We can't get it in San Mateo county but in a few bars in San Francisco can sell it. We will just take a short road trip up to Santa Rosa every couple months and pick up a growler and half-dozen 500ml bottles and bring them home with us. They have a short shelf-life so we have to force ourselves to finish them all off within two weeks. :D We have some friends who are in Ottawa who actually introduced us to Pliney. Go figure. Yes, the brew has quite a huge following. This year it is rated #1 for craft brews. We have family who owns Crazy Mountain Brewery in Vail Colorado and they can sell their stuff anywhere in the U.S.

My wife and I tried the Sea Witch IPA. We were both unimpressed with the Sea Witch. Granted, given the horrible selection Princess carries, it was probably the best beer onboard but it was a bit "meh" and hardly worth paying for.

Princess is proud that the Sea Witch IPA won a bronze award.

Turns out the criteria for winning bronze (not gold or silver) is "people will buy it."

Princess is proud that the Sea Witch IPA won a bronze award.

Turns out the criteria for winning bronze (not gold or silver) is "people will buy it."

I volunteer at an international wine competition. The bronze medal wines are in the bottom half of the wines tasted. Probably not much different for a beer competition.

This is not good! My son was really looking forward to the Alaskan Brewing beers on our upcoming cruise. The beer selection on Princess is pretty lame.

This is not good! My son was really looking forward to the Alaskan Brewing beers on our upcoming cruise. The beer selection on Princess is pretty lame.

We found a liquor store in Juneau and bought a 6-pack of Alaskan White. We had no problem bringing it back on board. ;-)