Just off the Majesty

So just a brief summary of our 4 day, here is the good the bad and the ugly.

It's been 5 years since I have cruised and I think the food has improved! Yes, I did say improved, I know food is subjective but in the dining room it seems like they are trying to up the quality. Some was really good other things..eh but for the most part I was happy. Food in the windjammer was also good but no variety. We knew exactly what to expect. I do wish their desserts were a little more appealing, that being said, I still have some extra pounds to work of this coming week.

So here's the ugly and it was pretty ugly. The last day and a half there were serious plumbing problems. not just in our stateroom but all over the ship. by the pool deck they closed the washrooms because they weren't flushing and people were using them anyway because we discovered as the day went on more and more of them were not working. The washrooms outside of the dining room, same thing. The smell would hit you in the face as you walked in. Our stateroom was bad also and in all of the restrooms it was disgusting. I did mention it at the customer service desk when I was there for something else and she said someone put something in toilet that didn't belong. Really?? It doesn't seem like that would cause a problem in all of the bathrooms, my daughter's room was fine, although she said the room/bathroom smelled like sewer all week.

On to Adventure Ocean. My grandson loved it! He cried when it was time to leave so that gave us peace and quiet at dinner every night. On another note, it did seem like the staff were sometimes just going through the motions. On Cococay we went to bring him to the meeting place and there were a couple of the staff sitting there talking. We asked about the scheduled kids events and they said "most parents want to keep their kids with them for swimming so no one is really here" We just got the feeling they were telling everyone who came over with their kids the same thing. They were also supposed to have an open house on the first day and there was one person there and she said you just sign your child up and he gets a wristband but there is not open house. We just felt all week like the staff was putting only half the effort because it was only a 4 day cruise.

No welcome back party for Emerald or below, not sure when they stopped that. Also watch your bill because we were billed twice for the same thing and if we hadn't noticed it, it would have been an extra 30.00 on our bill.

So not such a short review after all, over all we enjoyed most of the cruise, the worst was the plumbing situation, we just wanted to go home when that problem showed up and wasn't going away.

Thank you for posting your review. DH and I are doing a 4-nighter on MJ in October. Now I'm concerned about the plumbing issues. We've been on other ships with these problems, and it seems to follow the older ships. I think the takeaway for us is to only use the bathroom in our cabin, and avoid the rest....and hope it works!

Any other insights and/or recommendations while on MJ would be appreciated. It's been several years since we sailed on her.

Thank you for posting your review. DH and I are doing a 4-nighter on MJ in October. Now I'm concerned about the plumbing issues. We've been on other ships with these problems, and it seems to follow the older ships. I think the takeaway for us is to only use the bathroom in our cabin, and avoid the rest....and hope it works!

Any other insights and/or recommendations while on MJ would be appreciated. It's been several years since we sailed on her.

I think the plumbing problem is not a regular thing on this ship, Hopefully it was just a bad week. I should have added that the ship in general was in great shape and they worked hard to keep it shiny and clean.

I recommend making a trip up to the compass deli, it was a nice break from the windjammer. Also, if you're looking for a quiet place to sit and have a drink and look out at the ocean, the schooner bar was nice. We didn't get a chance to go up to the viking crown lounge but i know that is also a nice place to escape the noise and enjoy a drink. Enjoy your October getaway!

Majesty is supposed to get a complete makeover

before going to its new home in Port Canaveral. You have a lot of patience. I would have been really pi$$ed with the toilet issue.

I was pretty pissed, a lot of people were, as I said, I just wanted to go home so you can imagine how pissed you have to be to get to that point. They got an earful on the survey that I sent back. Not sure how much they listen.

I think the plumbing problem is not a regular thing on this ship, Hopefully it was just a bad week. I should have added that the ship in general was in great shape and they worked hard to keep it shiny and clean.

I recommend making a trip up to the compass deli, it was a nice break from the windjammer. Also, if you're looking for a quiet place to sit and have a drink and look out at the ocean, the schooner bar was nice. We didn't get a chance to go up to the viking crown lounge but i know that is also a nice place to escape the noise and enjoy a drink. Enjoy your October getaway!

It's great to have another option for lunch besides the WJ. So we'll definitely try the deli. Thanks for your recommendations.

Hi Karen, which sailing are you on in Oct? We are on the Majesty Oct 19th...

We're sailing on Oct. 26th--Nassau, Coco Cay, & Key West. So happy to be going back to KW--love that place:D Hope you have a great cruise!

I'm sailing August 24th. Hopefully the bathroom situation improves by then, but I feel like there are always problems with them on the older ships. How was the cruise director? Looking forward to cruising on the Majesty again and going back to Coco Cay- it's been awhile.

I'm sailing August 24th. Hopefully the bathroom situation improves by then, but I feel like there are always problems with them on the older ships. How was the cruise director? Looking forward to cruising on the Majesty again and going back to Coco Cay- it's been awhile.

ohhhhhhh!!!! I go 4 days after you :D...post stories of your good time...Can't wait

The cruise director was good, I'm sorry I don't remember his name. He got all the games and dancing by the pool going pretty good.

There does seem to be more plumbing problems with the older ships, but there is also something more nostalgic about them too. Quieter and not so overwhelming for a laid back vacation. I used to think it was just the lower floors that had the plumbing problems and I was tempted to pay a little more for one higher up, but the problems were on deck 10 by the pool.

Hey, all you guys sailing on MJ soon, will you report back? I'll be interested to hear about the current plumbing issues (on the negative side,) and all the great stuff you have to report on the positive side! Hope you all have a great cruise!

We are sailing the same date as you. Been 7 years since we've been on the Majesty and also are hoping for fixed plumbing problems. We are on deck 9 and if problems were on deck 10 we could also have problems. Since no balconies you won't be able to "air out" the room. Oh well, I guess time will tell. Just have to hope for the best.

Still, all in all, I'm looking forward to the cruise.

Yes...someone stuffing a diaper or big wad of paper product NOT designed to be flushed can cause a huge chain reaction in the plumbing! It's not like your bathroom drains independently of others...they are all on one big drain. Stop up one, you stop up a bunch!

Just off the same cruise as the OP. I believe there were some plumbing issues. The first night we heard gurgling coming from the shower drain. I placed a folded wash cloth over it to keep it quiet and closed the door to the head, Next morning, bathroom floor all wet. I stopped placing a cover over the drain, problem solved. Sometimes it is the passenger's fault. :cool:

Other than above, our cruise went off without a hitch. The staff are friendlier than I've seen on Royal ship in a while. Never went without a drink anywhere on the ship. They (bartenders) were always there to take care of you. I found bar service on this ship to be outstanding, as well as the main dining room staff.

We were in cabin 8542 with a partially obstructed view. Our cabin steward, also, was outstanding.

For those that may not know, there is in fact a Chef's Table dining option on this ship. It may be by invitation only as we were only offered it one night in the MDR. Of course, we took the bait and had a stunningly prepared 5 course meal with all the wine you could drink. A truly memorable experience.

Kids were a non issue. Never had an over crowding of kids on this ship. As a matter of fact, there weren't that many at all. Speaking of crowds, I think the ship sailed full and to my surprise, there was no crowding issues at all. We were always able to get a table in the Winjammer, even during peak breakfast times.

When we first boarded, one of the pools was down for maintenance but it was up and running by the next day. Not a single chair hog to be found during any of the four days.

I hear lots of talk of the pool deck being dangerously slippery but that wasn't my experience. It's made of mostly what looks like Flex-Teak, kind of like artificial teak used on boat decks. I even tried slipping my sandal on the surface and couldn't. It does get hot, though.

Our favorite spots on the ship were the VCL and the Schooner Bar. Both were staffed with friendly, personable staff that really took care of us.

We always tipped our bartenders extra, as well as our cabin steward and our dining staff. Never felt compelled to tip extra on our Oasis and Allure cruises. That tells you the difference in staff. We love the smaller ships and we are sad to see he move to PC. Other than a lot of brass/gold trim, the ship does not look dated. She looks as good as the day she was built.

Recently we were on the Independence of the Seas. The women's restroom outside the WJ was flooded (literally flooded), and there were fans trying to dry-out the floor. I went back to the cabin and washed my sandals with soap and water. After a couple of days, I went back to the restroom and peaked in - the fans were still blowing. Someone had tried to flush a disposable diaper down the toilet. This was on Embarkation Day.

The cruise director was good, I'm sorry I don't remember his name. He got all the games and dancing by the pool going pretty good.

There does seem to be more plumbing problems with the older ships, but there is also something more nostalgic about them too. Quieter and not so overwhelming for a laid back vacation. I used to think it was just the lower floors that had the plumbing problems and I was tempted to pay a little more for one higher up, but the problems were on deck 10 by the pool.

If you just came of of Her Majesty, your Cruise Director would have been Michelle Pimentinha Oliveira and the Activity Manager would have been Mauricio Diaz. Mauricio is terrific and he probably was handling the games and dancing by the pool.

Plumbing problems can be a major pain all over the ship....and it only takes one passenger doing one thing wrong that can overload the self contained system.

So here's the ugly and it was pretty ugly. The last day and a half there were serious plumbing problems. not just in our stateroom but all over the ship. by the pool deck they closed the washrooms because they weren't flushing and people were using them anyway because we discovered as the day went on more and more of them were not working. The washrooms outside of the dining room, same thing. The smell would hit you in the face as you walked in. Our stateroom was bad also and in all of the restrooms it was disgusting. I did mention it at the customer service desk when I was there for something else and she said someone put something in toilet that didn't belong. Really?? It doesn't seem like that would cause a problem in all of the bathrooms, my daughter's room was fine, although she said the room/bathroom smelled like sewer all week.

the worst was the plumbing situation, we just wanted to go home when that problem showed up and wasn't going away.

SO glad this is the masterpiece flagship RC decided to honor Port Canaveral with after Enchantment leaves next year... This old thing needs to go to Pullman or somewhere else -- what a step backwards this is...

Old Sovereign class ship being brought BACK to PC .. and to think so many people on here look down at Carnival <SMH>

SO glad this is the masterpiece flagship RC decided to honor Port Canaveral with after Enchantment leaves next year... This old thing needs to go to Pullman or somewhere else -- what a step backwards this is...

Old Sovereign class ship being brought BACK to PC .. and to think so many people on here look down at Carnival <SMH>

None of us really know all the backroom talk that must have gone into the decision change regarding Her Majesty. What we do know, is that they are putting money into a refurb and investing in enhancements to make the cruise experience much different than it was prior.

Before anyone declares the process a total this a total disaster and a step backwards....let's see what she looks like, sails like and give her cruisers as their cruise experience.

None of us really know all the backroom talk that must have gone into the decision change regarding Her Majesty. What we do know, is that they are putting money into a refurb and investing in enhancements to make the cruise experience much different than it was prior.

Before anyone declares the process a total this a total disaster and a step backwards....let's see what she looks like, sails like and give her cruisers as their cruise experience.

Yay! a slide! and some new paint ... and re-naming venues on board .. yea THAT'LL fool em!

You cant put lipstick on a damn pig .. just like Carnival tried when they re-vamped the Destiny and renamed it Sunshine .. yea people loved that...

Just like RC is doing with Majesty. Sorry -- this is a cheesy move on RCs part. Majesty is not relevant any more and is an outdated tired old ship that needs to be put to pasture .. just like they decided Sovereign and Monarch were. All of a sudden Majesty is supposed to be hot?

Yay! a slide! and some new paint ... and re-naming venues on board .. yea THAT'LL fool em!

You cant put lipstick on a damn pig .. just like Carnival tried when they re-vamped the Destiny and renamed it Sunshine .. yea people loved that...

Just like RC is doing with Majesty. Sorry -- this is a cheesy move on RCs part. Majesty is not relevant any more and is an outdated tired old ship that needs to be put to pasture .. just like they decided Sovereign and Monarch were. All of a sudden Majesty is supposed to be hot?

Her Majesty has made the first experience of many cruisers the start of their cruising enjoyment. Is she the most fascinating ship on the seas....not by a long shot. And maybe the time for her retirement should be now, from the fleet, but clearly Royal has changed their mind on that....and is taking on some refurb and redesign to give her cruisers a more entertaining experience.

Time will tell.....not your nor me.