What to Pack: my version

justaims29

I dedicate two small drawers in my closet at home for ALL of our cruise wear and cruise equipment. We pretty much are consistent with all our travel clothes and when it's time to pack they all fit nicely into two medium sized suitcases. No longer need to sort out clothes every time we go away.

Over the years I've collected small-medium sized zippered clear vinyl bags from purchasing linens and blankets. Toiletries go in the smaller bags. They are very sturdy and with the zipper have easy access and are stored on the shelf under the sink and it's easy to see the contents. It keeps the counter and shelves pretty much clear and uncluttered. I use the larger bags for packing the clothes before putting them in the suitcase in case it's raining and the suitcases are sitting out on a tarmac or outside of a terminal.

We like a pitch dark room for sleeping so I use an old deactivated cell phone for a clock and light for getting up in the middle of the night. That way I don't have to worry about remembering to put my current cell phone in the safe every morning.

Edited by iceleven

RFID sleeve warning: We purchased these to use with each credit card we took.

USA issued credit cards do not have any RFID capability. Why do you need the RFID sleeves?

Some "pay-at-the-pump" cards do have an RFID chip, but not regular credit cards.

Check with AMEX or Chase and you will find they are slowly converting and offering them to accounts in some parts of the country. Target and Walgreens already have the new readers in our area. Newer passports also have the chip.

USA issued credit cards do not have any RFID capability. Why do you need the RFID sleeves?

Some "pay-at-the-pump" cards do have an RFID chip, but not regular credit cards.

I picked up one to carry my passport in while we were in port. On the ship it doubled as an "essentials" pouch, since I wore maxi skirts most of the time on the ship and therefore had no pockets.

RFID has been in many debit and credit cards for a few years here in the US. That was not the same "chip" as the ones in the newly introduced EMV cards. When I received a new debit card from Wells Fargo a few years ago I noticed the RFID logo on the card and went to the local branch and told them I didn't want that technology in any of my cards. They issued me a new debit card without the RFID chip. Again, it was not the same as the new EMV technology.

BTW, the symbol looked like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rfid+chip+logo+on+credit+card+symbol&biw=1491&bih=699&tbm=isch&imgil=rIC0rkEROzdjCM%253A%253BLYXLwopHSfUk9M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.dakotah.pena.name%25252Fblog%25252F2010%25252F10%25252Fde-rfid-your-credit-card&source=iu&pf=m&fir=rIC0rkEROzdjCM%253A%252CLYXLwopHSfUk9M%252C_&usg=__5PMPrgIOG1Vzzh5XsUcQpkm6A0E%3D&ved=0CDMQyjdqFQoTCObF7svArMcCFUVaHgod8ooOGA&ei=iO7PVebhI8W0efKVusAB#imgdii=RKH-zL508Zf0jM%3A%3BRKH-zL508Zf0jM%3A%3Bzndwr27fi-Ra4M%3A&imgrc=RKH-zL508Zf0jM%3A&usg=__5PMPrgIOG1Vzzh5XsUcQpkm6A0E%3D

Edited by ar1950

I love all the ideas to pack. So far my "don't forget list" is 47 items long! I'm almost to the point of a second suitcase [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you pack every "must have item" listed on CC you will need a second cabin, not a second suitcase.

I have a collapsible plate cover that I use when taking a plate from the Lido back to the cabin to eat on the balcony, as I commonly do for breakfast. Not only does it protect against heedless fellow passengers, but it is opaque and so guards against inquisitive eyes :)

We use cloth napkins in the buffet to cover our plates. Nobody said anything, and the room attendant will pick them up in the morning. One or 2 fewer things to pack :)

Question was for shredie who said they used an RFID card in France, not an EMV crad.

Hopefully shredie will answer as well.

The new EMV ( which stands for EUROpay, Master Card, VISA who developed the technology) is the new standard and was rolled out in Europe earlier this year and is now being introduced here. It has a RFID capability also.

Some info if you would like to read about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

The old RFID card technology was introduce here in 2005. It has proven to be problematic and that is why the change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_identity_theft

Edited by ar1950

Hopefully shredie will answer as well.

The new EMV ( which stands for EUROpay, Master Card, VISA who developed the technology) is the new standard and was rolled out in Europe earlier this year and is now being introduced here. It has a RFID capability also.

Some info if you would like to read about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

The old RFID card technology was introduce here in 2005. It has proven to be problematic and that is why the change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_identity_theft

BankAmerica says their chip cards are not RFID.

Is a chip card the same as contactless payment (for example, PayPass, PayWave)? No. Contactless cards employ near-field communication technology (NFC), which has a radio antenna that transmits account information, and work by waving or tapping your card in front of a device. Chip cards must be inserted face-up into a chip-enabled merchant terminal that allows the chip to make contact with the reader to authorize and complete a transaction. (Remember to keep your card inserted into the terminal while the transaction is processed.)

Ditto Chase

Q. Do chip cards use contactless, NFC (Near Field Communication) or blink technology?Accordion content expanded

A. NFC technology is different from chip technology. At this time, Chase cards with chip cannot be used directly for NFC payments. However, you can load your Chase chip card to a digital wallet that uses NFC technology to make payments.

I don't know what EMV is, but my card has a chip in it and it worked in the machines in Paris. No swiping the magnetic strip.

As ar1950 said, EMV stands for EUROpay, Master Card, VISA who together designed the chip that is being included in all new credit cards in the USA now. They have been used in Europe for a few years.

If you had to insert your card into a machine, you did not use RFID.

If you could just wave your card over the machine, you did use RFID.

BankAmerica says their chip cards are not RFID.

[Chip cards must be inserted face-up into a chip-enabled merchant terminal that allows the chip to make contact with the reader to authorize and complete a transaction. (Remember to keep your card inserted into the terminal while the transaction is processed.)

That's how mine worked. EMV, RFID, EIEIO, I don't really care because it worked!