JET BLUE or DELTA? CONFUSED

Dave4120

Hello...we will be flying from Syracuse, NY to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. We can fly either Delta or Jet Blue, however, we are not familiar of what airline might provide the better experience and, amenities, even though I've read both website descriptions.

Delta flys an M88 plane from Syracuse to Atlanta, then a 757 from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. A First Class ticket is only $333.00 each, and based on seat roominess, compares to the Jet Blue coach seat with the additional payment for more leg room category.

The Jet Blue plane flys an EM190 from Syracuse to JFK, then an Airbus A321 from JFK to Fort Lauderdale. To move up to the Even More Legroom category, the cost is $189 each.

I haven't figured costs for luggage on each airline, just the flight itself.

So...my question is:

Based on your experience, hopefully with both airlines, is the $189 coach fare with even more legroom a better option than the Delta first class for $333.00 each?

From what I read, it seems like the Jet Blue price and benefits might even be better than a Delta first class, especially when comparing on an M88 and 757 versus bigger planes.

Thanks very much for your time and help.

Dave

I would also take into consideration the seating configuration....I hate the 3's and prefer the 2's when just the two of us are flying....I'm just a bit too lazy right know to check on this..but am sure someone will ;)

Hello...we will be flying from Syracuse, NY to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. We can fly either Delta or Jet Blue, however, we are not familiar of what airline might provide the better experience and, amenities, even though I've read both website descriptions.

Delta flys an M88 plane from Syracuse to Atlanta, then a 757 from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. A First Class ticket is only $333.00 each, and based on seat roominess, compares to the Jet Blue coach seat with the additional payment for more leg room category.

The Jet Blue plane flys an EM190 from Syracuse to JFK, then an Airbus A321 from JFK to Fort Lauderdale. To move up to the Even More Legroom category, the cost is $189 each.

I haven't figured costs for luggage on each airline, just the flight itself.

So...my question is:

Based on your experience, hopefully with both airlines, is the $189 coach fare with even more legroom a better option than the Delta first class for $333.00 each?

From what I read, it seems like the Jet Blue price and benefits might even be better than a Delta first class, especially when comparing on an M88 and 757 versus bigger planes.

Thanks very much for your time and help.

Dave

One thing: I wouldn't call Jet Blue's E190 and Airbus321 "bigger" than the MD88 and 757. It's not like you're comparing them to CRJ900s… Both are nicely big enough to be considered "bigger" planes on their own.

That said, and adding in that I'm a Delta loyalist, the Jet Blue experience may be better. Delta First Class is not a big deal - wider seat and free booze. For those flights, I don't think it's worth it. Book Jet Blue, fly in the "back of the bus" and use the savings for more fun on your cruise.

One thing to keep an eye on with Jet Blue: they are starting to roll out "Mint", their Business class. Flies now on the East Coast between JFK and Barbados and Aruba (and LAX and SFO). Who knows - they may expand the service by the time you're flying JFK-FLL.

Thanks very much for the helpful information. From what I read on both airline websites, it seemed like the coach seat on a Jet Blue for about $140 less per person provided more little things, such as Direct TV, Sirius/XM radio, free snacks and beverages, etc. Maybe in a First Class, Delta has the same amenities, but on the MD88 and 757 planes, I did not see anything listed besides more room because of first class, beverages, and priority boarding.

Everything has been helpful so I can now decide what to do.

Dave,

I was on both a Mad Dog and a 757 this week. Delta also offers a medium product called Economy Comfort on both planes. These seats are in the front of the cattle class and offer more leg room with an increased seat tilt. There are no in seat screens on either bird. We usually get two aisles on the 757 if we are in the back. The first checked bag on Delta is currently $25 unless you have a Delta AMEX.

Can't help with Jet Blue.

The other consideration, and to me it's more important than airline seating for a domestic flight, is when is the flight, what might the weather do, connection times and the availability of additional flights to reach my destination.

I have not been in an extra legroom seat on Jet Blue, but find it hard to believe the actual seat (seat width, seat pitch) is bigger/better than a first class seat on DL. ???

I can tell you though that with a first class ticket on DL you'll get free drinks and snacks (neither SYR-ATL nor ATL-FLL is long enough for meal service), and priority check in and boarding, if any of those things matter, and you will also get 2 free checked bags per person

My $0.02, having flown a lot on both:

Delta's MD80's and 757's are pretty long in the tooth (those lavs in the MDs are especially bad). The E190, while a "regional jet", is pretty close in size to an MD80, but a lot more modern. Airbuses are fine (just ignore that awful noise the hydraulics make during taxi (it's a pressurization balance thing)).

You'll get a little better snacks in Delta's FC (and even now in Economy Plus, I've noticed). All things considered, I personally would go with Jetblue and save the money, unless the timing of the Delta flights fits your purpose better.

Edited by azevedan

I have not been in an extra legroom seat on Jet Blue, but find it hard to believe the actual seat (seat width, seat pitch) is bigger/better than a first class seat on DL. ???

I can tell you though that with a first class ticket on DL you'll get free drinks and snacks (neither SYR-ATL nor ATL-FLL is long enough for meal service), and priority check in and boarding, if any of those things matter, and you will also get 2 free checked bags per person

The first class seat on DL is definitely bigger. But, for flights that short, unless I had money to burn, I wouldn't go for them. I never have to pay for my bags on DL, so that is something I don't have to think about. Overhead bag space is not a concern to me, either. I do not have a problem "pink tagging" my carryon to avoid having to look for space. DL was doing something interesting this summer at some of the high-volume airports: they had summer interns walking around the gate areas and asking people if they would like to have their carryon put on board early by these interns. Cool idea. They would take down the seat number of the person and place the bag above the seat. It is an experiment to see if more bags can be accommodated if people WHO KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY STOW A BAG does it instead of allowing the usual free-for-all.

Back to Jet Blue: For the short flights you have, I'd say go for it. But, be aware that, when flight ops go sideways because of weather, Jet Blue tends to be the ones in the headlines for messing things up… Hopefully they have become better at handling IROPS than they have in the past.

Thank-you everyone for taking some of your free time to help me with my questions.

I do realize that Jet Blue is less cost, and, we can get first class seat on Delta for not a lot more money with extra seat room and 2 seats across versus 3 across.

But, I did think of something else that might also determine what airline to use after a friend of my wife brought it to her attention.

She told my wife with unstable weather conditions that can still occur along the East Coast at JFK whether it's a late wet snow or N'OrEaster type rain event with wind, at the end of April, she thinks we are better flying Delta from Syracuse to Atlanta, then on to Fort Lauderdale, versus Syracuse to JFK. She said if we experience bad weather or other JFK type delays, we will be under more stress to get to FLL in time for our cruise the following day.

She said flying to Atlanta might be better because even if bad weather or delays for other reasons we are much closer to FLL where we could always get a car rental and make it to FLL in plenty of time.

I guess it makes sense?

We are flying from Syracuse to Fort Lauderdale on April 27th for a repositioning cruise, then flying back from Rome, Italy to Syracuse on May 16th.

We are all set for the flight back from Rome to Syracuse on Delta. I do see that American also flies to Fort Lauderdale from Syracuse as does United, however, in our very limited flying career, we've only flown Delta and Jet Blue.

Not that we are rich, but seeing how flying Delta first class isn't thousands of dollars extra each person, I thought maybe that might be a positive way to fly to FLL. However, if the extra $110-$130 more to fly first class on Delta versus Jet Blue, United or American isn't worth any better comfort, sitting together as two versus 3-seats in a row, entertainment, food, service, etc, then, we have no problem not flying Delta and savings the $240 to $260 total.

Dave

Edited by Dave4120

We are flying from Syracuse to Fort Lauderdale on April 27th for a repositioning cruise, then flying back from Rome, Italy to Syracuse on May 16th.

East Coast in April should be fine - hence Jet Blue works.. Love their terminal.

Weather at ATL and CLT.. same thing that time of year - but I would choose CLT over ATL any day.

BTW - DL also offers transfers thru DTW (one of their hubs) to FLL and I really like the terminal. A little long to get from the RJ terminal to the main one, but something like 1+20 mins to DTW and then non-stop to FLL.

Good Luck

Thanks toberman...I did not see any stops to Charolette, unless we use American. I think they do. I did notice the Delta flight to Detroit then to FLL. I think we are leaning toward that one, even though we would arrive at the hotel a bit later than we would like too, but, I will not complain. Or, we could use American.

Thanks again for the help as a decision is getting very close now.

The times and layover times actually work better if we flew on American, that does, fly to CLT first, then, on to FLL.

Have never flown American. Just Jet Blue and Delta, but I'm sure the experience, comfort of the plane and service should be the same. So, maybe that is the way to go.

DL was doing something interesting this summer at some of the high-volume airports: they had summer interns walking around the gate areas and asking people if they would like to have their carryon put on board early by these interns. Cool idea. They would take down the seat number of the person and place the bag above the seat. It is an experiment to see if more bags can be accommodated if people WHO KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY STOW A BAG does it instead of allowing the usual free-for-all.

Preparatory to introducing a new fee, no doubt.

One thing to keep an eye on with Jet Blue: they are starting to roll out "Mint", their Business class. Flies now on the East Coast between JFK and Barbados and Aruba (and LAX and SFO). Who knows - they may expand the service by the time you're flying JFK-FLL.

Haha, maybe when hell freezes over!

I've done Mint in the solo suites and it's great, but you'll never see it on FLL unless there's a random aircraft substitution.

Hello, I am a big woman I truly need an answer if anyone has one. I had not taken a plane in 27 years, last year I finally flew to FLL on Jet Blue with extra leg room. This year my cruise is out of Miami. I have been told that I can go thru FLL and just shuttle to Miami were I am staying for one night to wait for my daughter to get there. My question is if I were to fly into Miami how are the seats on A.A. or on Delta Airline are they wide enough to fit a big person or will I have to purchase two seats. Jet Blue was just okay not that it really left a lot of space. Thanks for your answers...

Surely the question is how big? Without sounding insensitive/daft it also depends how your body is "arranged" and the distribution but it's not as if any airline's coach seat is wildly different from another.

In your shoes I'd probably just stump up for FC if you found B6's Even More Space a tad cosy. You've also not said where you're flying from. AA have international aircraft on some flights into MIA (I have some on flights booked from JFK-MIA), if booked in FC then you'll have a lot more legroom and space.

Edited by fbgd

Same toss up EMS and 1st Class get priority boarding (security?).

JetBlue your flight time on the E190 is so short, you will also only have JetBlue abbreviated service. Choice of only a few drinks/snacks.

JetBlue with one class of service they move thru the cabin quicker IMHO. JetBlue does not use "drink carts". The FA's take your order every couple of rows and then brings the drinks. The come by with the basic of snacks. Just use your call button for more and/or bar service.

I fly Buffalo JFK 90% on E190 and 6'8" its not worth purchasing EMS even for me.

Now flight to PBI or FLL I usually sit in the exit row which is EMS and has the most leg room (more then the EMS rows upfront) but even when I don't have EMS I'm better on JetBlue then the big domestics.

JBU even has paid $5 movies on flights more than 2 hours. You can get the current titles from their website or mobile app.

Terminal 5 is not that bad for a layover, fast food court to restaurants/bars, free wifi. Speaking of which on JBU Airbus' they are rolling out wifi as well (next year for E190).

FWIW

Unless pricing has changed, Delta charges $25 a bag and JB now charges $20 (it used to be free). If you were on a 10 hr flight, comfort would be a much more important consideration but considering the length of your flight(s), I'd just go with whoever has the better price and times more convenient for you.