Only for those of you who dislike Carnival...

We got loyal by accident and well luck. Now days, since we are well above D+, choosing another cruise line is difficult. I have been tempted by some others and some day may try them. I seen many deals/itineraries on HAL etc that were better that RC offers, but after adding up additional cost on many thing things, such as the evening open bar(D lounge), on other cruise lines my bar bill would/could be more than the cruise not to mention some other perks we get.

For the OP that is a hard decision but with kids and travel, I certainly would give another cruise line a try.

Been on Carnival ships 5 times, and the last two times went from bad to completely bad. That was 3 years ago. Since then, they reduced the food choices and created menu's for the common restaurants to be more like quick food stops. Entertainment left for prerecorded music and DJ's. I felt they did not do a great job for security, in particular with allowing kids run around. (I have 2 kids). I would go on to specifics but I really don't want to.

Your indicated the Oasis Class vs Carnival. I don't think you can even begin to compare, and so the price difference becomes irrelevant. It's more on the lines of you get what you pay for and you pay for much more on the Oasis class ships.

I'm a big fan of RCCL and their product. Mostly, I feel they do a much better job at enforcement of their rules and the rules set up for kids. Think of it this way. If you ask a kid which ship they like better, do you think they will say the ship, they can be up all night, or the ship that the security keeps "harassing" them to return to their room?

I have driven to New Orleans with two kids. I'm not a big fan of forking over such large amounts of money, when gas is so cheap. So I do fly, but only to Europe, or PR. I do live in FL. I do know of people who won't drive to Miami because 5 hours is too far, but personally I don't get it. So there are many options of how to handle it.

I would stick with RCCL until Carnival turns around.

Hi RCCL fan! Hope you guys are well! :)

A different perspective...I'll play devil's advocate here!

You know you love Royal. You know you'll have a great time on Oasis/Allure, you know what to expect, you know they have the facilities your kids love. So why not stick with that? Maybe the extra money is worth it because it's a known quantity.

After reading one of Gambee's reviews I researched one of the newer Carnival ships. I'm also scared off by the glitzy decor (I think it's darn ugly, although their newer ships look better) and the crowds. Seeing people wearing neon tshirts and party hats in the MDR and conga line dancing on the pool deck doesn't do it for me. Blaring loud music while I'm trying to relax in the hot tub? No thanks. From the ads to the reviews, it doesn't seem like "my" kind of vacation. Just a little too loud and in-your-face. I couldn't bite the Carnival bullet, even for a good savings, and prefer to stick with RCCL and Celebrity.

So if you decide NOT to, that's ok! There's no shame in sticking with what you know and love. Either way...i'm sure you will have a great time...after all, you're with your family! And be sure to come back with a review no matter what you choose!

All the best-

Missy

Go on Disney and you won't feel so bad about the price differences. With kids aged 2 and 7, that makes the most sense IMO.

Otherwise, I'd find it hard to believe that any comparable RCI cruise is worth 2x the cost of a Carnival cruise.

But then you can also say that no Disney cruise is worth 2x the cost of an RCL cruise.:D

Carnival is not as safe as RCI and if the money difference and inconvenience of flying are not an issue go with RCI. It's like saying I can afford a Cadillac, but a Chevy is so much cheaper. However, I personally would give Carnival a try for the money and convenience issues if they left Port Canaveral which is close to our house.

2 of our first 3 cruises were on Carnival. We enjoyed them but after trying Royal swore we would not go back to Carnival.

Fast forward a few years and we are booked on Carnival Vista for next year, heard a lot of good things about the newer/bigger Carnival ships and the price beat the pants off of Royal so we will give it another try.

Its not like our Carnival cruises were bad, just not as good. So worst case we have a good vacation and avoid Carnival again for a few more years. Best case the experience is the same or better on the new ship and costs a whole lot less.

2 of our first 3 cruises were on Carnival. We enjoyed them but after trying Royal swore we would not go back to Carnival.

Fast forward a few years and we are booked on Carnival Vista for next year, heard a lot of good things about the newer/bigger Carnival ships and the price beat the pants off of Royal so we will give it another try.

Its not like our Carnival cruises were bad, just not as good. So worst case we have a good vacation and avoid Carnival again for a few more years. Best case the experience is the same or better on the new ship and costs a whole lot less.

My takes exactly. We felt the same way. Early cruise on Carnival, had fun, found RCI had more fun, better ships and so on. But with the prices the way they are, RCI has brought Carnival back into the picture and for sure we'd consider Carnival again.

LOL I went to Syracuse University too! Small world.

You're right, I'm an RCI snob, I love them. My wife said if we go I'm not allowed to complain, and so I would behave.

I cherish my vacation time, and like to make the most of it. So, just being cautious and truly respect the opinion of so many of the experts on here!

Lets Go Orange!!!

Small world indeed. I knew there was something about you I liked instantly.

The bold text is what would concern me, that I would feel regret and not enjoy the cruise as much as I should, then the boss would see that look on my face. I hate surrendering my right to complain, but that is a fair request in this situation.

Your certainly getting a lot of good feedback, I'm sure you'll make the right decision. What a great problem to have though, choosing between two cruises.

You could always email Boeheim and let the coach make the call. Although he might say don't do either and come to Syracuse for a week.

I do not sail any cruise line exclusively. I also have never had a bad cruise due to issues other than weather. I enjoy Carnival just as much as Royal. They are more similar than different. Carinval does some things better than Royal and Royal does some things better than Carinval. Both will give you a good cruise, if you want to have a good cruise.

You do need to think about your attitude. If you go with an open mind, you will have a good time. If you go on any ship looking for negatives, you will find them and your cruise enjoyment will be greatly diminished. The MDR decor does not diminish the service or food quality in any way, unless your mind allows it to.

Champagne,

It's not that we can't afford RCI, I wouldn't go on any trip we can't afford.

I'm just questioning whether its a wise choice.

Am I so loyal that I'm blinded by what should be a no brainer?

If you can afford it and like RCL what's the issue?:confused::confused: If you can't afford it, it's not a wise choice, not rocket science here.

I consider myself loyal to Royal in that I consider them first when searching for a cruise. BUT, there are times when Royal isn't the best choice and your case would be one of them. Even though I've read not the best reviews about the Dream I would go with an open mind and give it a try. $4800 can pay for another family cruise and several cruises as a couple. I personally wouldn't consider sailing any of the Carnival "ation" ships, but I sailed Breeze last year and while it wasn't Royal, and there were definitely some things I missed, I did have an enjoyable cruise and the ship was beautiful.

And besides cost, as you probably already know from your last experience, cruising without flying is AMAZING. Especially with kids. Go for it.

Just my 2 cents. We went on the Breakaway and loved it. What a great staff. Amazing ship..wonderful staff...on and on....

I am a RCCL / celebrity snob sailing NCL this winter. I am also considering carnival Vista as well. I started looking outside of the fold because it is so expensive to sail for 4 as appose to 2 (pre twins) You cant beat the kids sail free promos from NCL (which is what I booked on the Escape. Even with their BOGO half, RCL is still more expensive than other cruise lines. I bit the bullet thought and booked on the Harmony because ,well, that is a unique experience no other cruise line can offer right now.

I think you should do the Carnival Breeze. It is a great ship. I did an eight day cruise on the Breeze last summer and loved it. The food was good, the shop is very clean. The only drawback was the entertainment, but since my DH and I always get a balcony, we just enjoyed that instead of some corny show. Your kids will love Guy's Burger and the Mexican place. Be sure to try the food in the Italian restaurant ( it offers a free lunch) and the Red Frog Pub that offers wings and this coconut cake that was to die for! You will not be sorry that you opted for this cruise. Instead of paying top dollar for an RCI cruise, keep your money and buy your wife a nice piece of jewlery!

If you can afford it and like RCL what's the issue?:confused::confused: If you can't afford it, it's not a wise choice, not rocket science here.

Just because you CAN afford it, doesn't mean you want to spend extra to do it. His question is valid. Please don't make it difficult for people to post questions by shaming!

Tgnorton - Well said! But I wouldn't worry - the poster you referenced seems to specialize in throwing out nasty, snarky comments with zero useful information. Doubt if anyone will pay any attention or be detracted from asking questions.

Edited by Baby_Bear

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm researching, picture viewing, and will go with my gut... and maybe so many of you who say... "have an open mind... take the deal"

:-)

Wayne,

Come sail with us again. LOL

April 10th, 2016 - Carnival Dream - NOLA

Going to Roataan, Belize, and Cozumel. You never been to Little French Key

Price is very good.

I sailed them once many years ago, and it wasn't for me.

Came back and have been loyal ever since.

Love my RCI

Been sailing with them since my mom took me back when I was an elementary school kid.

Now I'm grown up with kids of my own...

We are within driving distance to New Orleans and sailed the Serenade out of there last year. It was my first time ever driving to a ship instead of flying.

With 2 little elementary school age girls, in our family of four we saved a fortune in airfare, and it was so much easier to pack and get the girls to the ship.

RCI is no longer in New Orleans, so we're planning our cruise for 2016 and planning to fly to Florida as we have every year since I met my wife.

Airfare for the four of us is running about $1700, plus a Junior Suite is running around $61-6200 on the 3 ships we're considering.

We can do a Grand Suite on Carnival Dream, and drive to the port for $3300, total.

I love my Royal Caribbean cruise line but at a 4800 difference, I'm starting to feel stupid.

Sure, many people sail both and say they're ok, but I HATED the smoke filled, vegas-esque, party ship.

My TA and many friends tell me it's not bad, try another ship.

At this savings I'm really tempted to listen

Would you be? What should a this RCCL Lover do?

I have sailed both, and I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a bad cruise on either! We are actually looking at a Carnival cruise for our next, after 2 years of cruising only RCCL. My daughter cruised the Dream out of New Orleans last December and loved it! It is an older ship, remember, and will not have all the bells and whistles, but it may have been refurbished. Check into that.

I'm not a big Carnival fan either but for a $4800 difference I could become one:):)

Totally agree with you 100%!! Most of my cruises have been on Carnival and had a great time. Four of us went on the Breeze inaugural sailing which wasn't a cheap cruise to begin with and hated it! We had a good time as we were on a cruise but we said never again would we go on Carnival. The people on that ship were so rude and disrespectful that it completely turned us off. I hate to say it but Carnival is known as the Wal-Mart of the cruise lines for a reason.

But to answer your question I would reconsider them in order to save $4800 in a heartbeat. However, I don't cruise in the summer or during the holidays anymore as I don't want to be around kids.

And I would probably only go on their new ships since I have been spoiled by Royal's mega ships with all of the bells and whistles.

I've only ever sailed Royal except my first cruise ever on the Big Red Boat.

If it were your kids first cruise I'd say stick with Royal, since it isn't, try Carnival see what they think.

Airfare just plain sucks anymore, it's way to expensive and there are no options.

We've sailed several different lines, many itineraries. They all have their differences, naturally, but truly, I've found more differences between a 3/4 day CCL and a 7+ day CCL than I have between a 7+ day CCL and a 7+ day RCCL.

Of course, you will find certain things on one line vs. another - rock climbing, mini-golf, ropes course, specific entertainment, etc., so, in that regard, it depends what you like to do or what you would miss.