Viking Oceans Shower Door Issues & Response

id4elizabeth

Can't believe all the great ideas that have been generated so quickly! Amazing!

Back to the Duct tape - it's one of those things that you don't realize how many uses there are until you find yourself in a situation where you realize it's usefulness. I take a roll that's almost all used up so it's not heavy, although I like the idea of wrapping some around a pen. On the Viking Oceans Star right now, they have had 2 incidents of exploding shower glass. One lady was severely injured by flying glass shards. If I were onboard right now I'd be taping every square inch of my shower with Duct tape. We've used it to hold together eyeglasses that busted at the bridge when I fell, attached a broken handle to DH's shoe horn that busted, hem up a pant leg who's hem had come undone, held together the battery cover to a camera whose little latch has broken...on and on.

On the Viking Oceans Star right now, they have had 2 incidents of exploding shower glass. One lady was severely injured by flying glass shards. If I were onboard right now I'd be taping every square inch of my shower with Duct tape.

What the....I'm guessing from them slamming closed or some such thing? That is scary.

What the....I'm guessing from them slamming closed or some such thing? That is scary.

No, it's even scarier than that: the non-moving part of the shower partition has exploded without warning or apparent cause in two different cabins on the ship. This thread has details (including Viking's responses):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2246030

No, it's even scarier than that: the non-moving part of the shower partition has exploded without warning or apparent cause in two different cabins on the ship. This thread has details (including Viking's responses):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2246030

O.M.G. I can't believe what happened to these people. I can't believe they didn't talk to an attorney. I can't believe that Viking didn't get a physician to treat the passenger's injuries. And I can't believe it happened again and they still call it a fluke!! One failure COULD be a fluke; second failure of same item... negligence. I'm hoping the reason we haven't heard from either poster is that Viking paid and as part of the settlement they had to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Is this on Viking River Cruises or the new ocean cruises only?

Makes me reconsider bringing duct tape, except I've been on Vantage Navigator 5 times already so I think shower doors are ok.

Edited by Hydrokitty

O.M.G. I can't believe what happened to these people. I can't believe they didn't talk to an attorney. I can't believe that Viking didn't get a physician to treat the passenger's injuries. And I can't believe it happened again and they still call it a fluke!! One failure COULD be a fluke; second failure of same item... negligence. I'm hoping the reason we haven't heard from either poster is that Viking paid and as part of the settlement they had to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Is this on Viking River Cruises or the new ocean cruises only?

Makes me reconsider bringing duct tape, except I've been on Vantage Navigator 5 times already so I think shower doors are ok.

I will never complain about clingy shower curtains in cruise ships again! :)

Eally

Really there are reports from 2 passengers in the "great shower glass" scandal ??

Really...go to site in Jazzbeau's post....read all the posts and look at the pictures....it will blow your mind! I'm getting that "Psycho" feeling about the shower.....and Viking says "not our fault".... they own the ship, they hired the marine architect and the contractor, they sold the cabin space to travelers and implied that shower was safe to use....woman winds up with back full of glass and the on board nurse gives her a tetanus shot and picks glass out if her back...but it's not their fault....I hope she's got a lawyer!!! And how did we miss the original post? It was only a couple weeks ago!

Eally

Really...go to site in Jazzbeau's post....read all the posts and look at the pictures....it will blow your mind! I'm getting that "Psycho" feeling about the shower.....and Viking says "not our fault".... they own the ship, they hired the marine architect and the contractor, they sold the cabin space to travelers and implied that shower was safe to use....woman winds up with back full of glass and the on board nurse gives her a tetanus shot and picks glass out if her back...but it's not their fault....I hope she's got a lawyer!!! And how did we miss the original post? It was only a couple weeks ago!

Am I the only one thinking why she didn't insist on being taken to hospital?

Also read the reports from the folks on the broken engine cruise. Another debacle. And they all paid for it in full, two years in advance.

Am I the only one thinking why she didn't insist on being taken to hospital?

Also read the reports from the folks on the broken engine cruise. Another debacle. And they all paid for it in full, two years in advance.

No, you're not....but as a nurse who worked in the emergency room (centuries ago)...when a person is in pain and shock (mental not medical) they cannot always be depended on to make the best decisions....that is why I am surprised, if nothing else but from a legal point of view, the captain of the ship did not insist she at least see a doctor....and if they could bring an English speaking Dr. on board the ship in Egypt then they certainly could have found one in Northern Europe!

Hummm ya I saw her post and the pictures [emoji33] but did not see another report.... I too wondered where the ---- her attorney was?????

It was several pages down. another passenger had posted that it was their friend in the next cabin and about a page later the friend actually posted his photos. Really scary stuff.

Edited by Hydrokitty

No, you're not....but as a nurse who worked in the emergency room (centuries ago)...when a person is in pain and shock (mental not medical) they cannot always be depended on to make the best decisions....that is why I am surprised, if nothing else but from a legal point of view, the captain of the ship did not insist she at least see a doctor....and if they could bring an English speaking Dr. on board the ship in Egypt then they certainly could have found one in Northern Europe!

It was several pages down. another passenger had posted that it was their friend in the next cabin and about a page later the friend actually posted his photos. Really scary stuff.

There is a Dr. Onboard the Viking Star. They took my husband to see him when he had a minor accident while on an excursion.

Becki

To answer hydrokitty - it's only on the new Viking Star - not the longships. It's not the door itself, but the stationary piece that's next to the door. It does not seem to be connected to the shutting of the door. As a recent passenger onboard the Star, there is an English speaking Doctor onboard - not sure why he wasn't called.

To answer hydrokitty - it's only on the new Viking Star - not the longships. It's not the door itself, but the stationary piece that's next to the door. It does not seem to be connected to the shutting of the door. As a recent passenger onboard the Star, there is an English speaking Doctor onboard - not sure why he wasn't called.

Very strange...

Here's the latest on Viking Ocean's response:

Viking Ocean to Fix Glass Showers on Viking Star Cruise Ship

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6491

Note: since this subtopic was taking over an unrelated thread, I have moved the posts into a separate thread. The issue only affects the Viking Ocean ship Viking Star -- not the longboats or any of their river ships.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Here's the latest on Viking Ocean's response:

Viking Ocean to Fix Glass Showers on Viking Star Cruise Ship

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6491

Note: since this subtopic was taking over an unrelated thread, I have moved the posts into a separate thread. The issue only affects the Viking Ocean ship Viking Star -- not the longboats or any of their river ships.

Glad viking replacing all shower walls...that was really frightening. Also glad that you made it separate from what to bring thread.

Good to split it out, but doesn't this really belong over in the Viking Oceans forum where there is already a thread?

Good to split it out, but doesn't this really belong over in the Viking Oceans forum where there is already a thread?

I try to take an expansive view of what's appropriate to the River Cruising forum. Viking Oceans and Viking Rivers are at some level the same company so the customer service part is relevant, as shown by the responses once this news broke here. Those reactions also showed that many in this community don't follow the Viking Oceans forum.

Well I guess if we keep repeating that this has nothing to do with the Viking river ships then only half the people reading it will get confused :)

I know you put 'Oceans' in the thread title but it remains confusing to have a 'problem' thread in this section that has nothing to do with the ships being discussed here, in my opinion of course...

Well I guess if we keep repeating that this has nothing to do with the Viking river ships then only half the people reading it will get confused :)

I know you put 'Oceans' in the thread title but it remains confusing to have a 'problem' thread in this section that has nothing to do with the ships being discussed here, in my opinion of course...

I just updated the OCEAN Viking exploding shower door thread with a summary of the photos previously posted to make it easier to follow as the OP didn't know how to post pics larger.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2246030&page=7

I think it does pertain since folks should be made aware how Viking treats their pax.

Maybe this is just plain on the wrong board as it has nothing what so ever to do with Viking River Cruises and is confusing to people on the River Board who don't know the difference. Move the thread to Viking Oceans Board :D

Maybe this is just plain on the wrong board as it has nothing what so ever to do with Viking River Cruises and is confusing to people on the River Board who don't know the difference. Move the thread to Viking Oceans Board :D

it has been moved...Host Jazz just referenced it here as I understand it...

I try to take an expansive view of what's appropriate to the River Cruising forum. Viking Oceans and Viking Rivers are at some level the same company so the customer service part is relevant, as shown by the responses once this news broke here. Those reactions also showed that many in this community don't follow the Viking Oceans forum.

I didn't know that Viking had started a whole new line until this thread. I just thought it was one on their new ships. But I do agree with Got2Cruise....the treatment of the injured passenger is a stunning indictment of Viking customer relations and since so many potential Viking customers do visit this board, I think it is a proper forum as well as the Viking Ocean forum.

it has been moved...Host Jazz just referenced it here as I understand it...

The original thread was and is on the correct board, this is just an echo over here that talks about the original thread but is not being updated by anyone actually involved in the events.

I'm not sure how much it is going to do to inform people of anything useful, better to read the real original thread for that...