Best shopping St Maarten or St Thomas

Micky1

I think St Thomas is the #1 port for shopping and I would put St Marten 2, my wife loves the Jewelry stores in St Thomas, both are great ports but I rather hit beach in St martin and shop in St Thomas ( I would prefer going to beach in St John, but wife will vote for shopping)

St Maarten is our favorite port for shopping. Huge variety of shops close to the ship, most reasonable prices of all the ports we have visited. We always pick up a new piece of jewelry or watch from our favorite shop, Kay's Fine Jewelry, they have a nice selection of colored diamonds and serve my husband a beer while I shop :) Always stick to the recommended vendors for major purchases. We have always had enough time to go to the beach, come back to the ship to get changed and go back out for some shopping.

Edited by cruizeblues

St Maarten for sure - jewelry is almost always a better price there and a couple of years ago I bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses for $100 less than St Thomas - the same glasses - just cheaper.

Edited by mek

Both are great places to shop but advantage to St. Thomas in duty free limits. You can bring back 1 gallon if bought in St Thomas vs 1 bottle from other ports. Cigarettes are the same type of thing. I believe 5 ctns vs 1. Lastly your duty free exclusion is double the $ if purchased in St Thomas.

Thank you for this info. We'll be traveling to both ports next month. My husband was just talking today about buying a watch on our trip, so this was helpful. Not to hijack, but any good deals to be found on watches on board?

St Maarten for sure - jewelry is almost always a better price there and a couple of years ago I bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses for $100 less than St Thomas - the same glasses - just cheaper.

If not into jewellery shopping what are other unique things or just good buys on things?

In St Martens may favorite shopping is the Guavaberry Emporium! Best Guavaberry piña colada ever. Note: the liquor is NOT part of the 2 lt maximum to bring home. It is considered a "craft liquor"

So we enjoy it between cruises....

If not into jewellery shopping what are other unique things or just good buys on things?

Sorry, but that is my primary interest - I don't always have to buy, but is so much fun to just look.

Thank you for this info. We'll be traveling to both ports next month. My husband was just talking today about buying a watch on our trip, so this was helpful. Not to hijack, but any good deals to be found on watches on board?

Your can price match watches on board. But there is so much more selection on the islands. If you know what you are looking for, you can get a pretty good deal in port.

You are supposed to declare items like this when you return. Some people just wear the items off the ship. Of course this isn't legal. If you buy your watch from the onboard shops, don't try it. The shops provide an itemized list of your "expensive" shipstore purchases to customs. We've seen the list and watched the officers check passport names against the puirchases. They WILL bewaiting for you.

Edited by satbeachbill

Thanks so much for all the replies and everyone that jumped on your most welcome, the advice is all noted, We decided it will beSt Maarten for shopping then a couple of hours at Maho beach to catch the aircraft landing. Then on St Thomas it will be a beach day at Magens beach, :):):) We can't wait been on FOS before and Indy and love them both, being Scottish the nice weather will a welcome change.

• 6 months later...

Well, I can tell you thath when you are shopping in St Maarten you have a large choice of jewelry stores on front street. And for me the BEST on is DK Gems located at 69 A front street in Philipsburg. They have been VOTED BEST st maarten jewelry store by the DAILY HERALD for many reasons, I can tell you !1

so do not hesitate to visit them, they are great guys.

• 1 month later...