Help me pick my first cruise

halshura

First cruise ever. Will be travelling with my wife, 2 year old son, and my parents.

I am looking at these options for a 4-night Caribbean cruise in April:

1) Miami -> Key West -> Cozumel -> Miami on Carnival Fantasy

2) Miami -> Nassau -> Coco Cay -> Key West -> Miami on Majesty of the Seas

3) Fort Lauderdale -> Sea -> Cozumel -> Sea -> Fort Lauderdale on Independence of the Seas

Which would you go with? I'm leaning towards #3 since IOS seems to be the newest ship and the itinerary is much simpler than others. Thoughts?

# 3 looks best. Port intensive cruises can be difficult with a toddler. You need to consider transportation/car seats and even with four adults watching them..it is scary to have a child in a foreign country.

Being on the ship more will give you opportunities for naps, snacks, etc. My two year old (23 yrs now) loved to run back and forth and up and down the decks. Fun for all!

Welcome to Cruise Critic Halshura.

I think #3 Independence of the Seas is your best option as well. The Indy is much newer and bigger than the latter two, with dozens of on board activities and beautiful public spaces.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Indy...without a doubt...We travel with our family often (exclusively with RCI) which includes toddler grandsons...lot's of fun..but after years of cruising now doing it with such little ones we've had to plan differently...but easy to do actually.

Enjoy these times of your life !!

I vote for 3. The other bonus is you won't be sailing out of the Miami port. There are certain things you might feel compelled to do once in your life this isn't one of them. Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral are the class of the field in Florida

If I had to choose between these, I would opt for #2, more ports.

But to be quite honest, I would rather do some other cruise. Any cruise that short is going to attract more party goers.

Where in Canada are you from? Canadian here too.

With the exchange rates and cost of air travel, you can easily do a nice 7 night cruise from a port that you may be able to drive to. All for same or less cost.

Once you factor in the time to get to airports, time at airport, then getting to port, it may not take much longer by car.

If you are in Ontario or Quebec, you can consider New York City, Cape Liberty, Boston, and Baltimore. We have sailed from all of these.

JMHO, do some more research. Planning your first cruise is a lot of fun, but stressful too.

Welcome to cruising. Be very careful though. Cruising is very addictive. :D

If you have the time off, I would definitely recommend you consider at minimum 7 day cruise because 4 day cruises are a lot of moving around for very little cruise experience and also, they tend to be partying cruises. Of the cruises you have chosen - Independence would be my choice, but I think everyone would enjoy a 7 day cruise so much more!

I also would choose #3, but as others have suggested, You will regret doing only a 4 day, especially when you factor in the air fare. It will be over way too soon. If a 7 day is at all possible you will be glad you did. You will love cruising and will have started a new tradition of vacationing...

Thanks everyone. So looks like we'll go with #3. We have other plans in Florida so will have to stick to a 4-day cruise in this trip.

I'm considering going with oceanview "category 3" staterooms on deck 3. Rooms 3264 & 3266. They're two connected rooms. Good choice?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47480992#post47480992

@t_car I'm in Alberta but parents in Ontario.

Thanks everyone. So looks like we'll go with #3. We have other plans in Florida so will have to stick to a 4-day cruise in this trip.

I'm considering going with oceanview "category 3" staterooms on deck 3. Rooms 3264 & 3266. They're two connected rooms. Good choice?

Nothing wrong with your choice of cabins (even though a bit close to the "Crypt" for some and a public restroom above you)...however...do keep a close check on your booking as you never know when availability or a deal might come up to switch to a higher deck or balcony cabins.

Since you are already in Florida, this short cruise does make sense. It will give you a taste of cruising. I believe your ship is second largest type there is. Lots of choices in things to do on board.

Enjoy your vacation and time with your family.

I vote for 3. The other bonus is you won't be sailing out of the Miami port. There are certain things you might feel compelled to do once in your life this isn't one of them. Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral are the class of the field in Florida

Best with such a young child.

Window cabins don't have bathtubs, so bring an inflatable one for bathing your child or get a mini-suite instead. There is a whole section here devoted to cruising with your kids here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

You can get lots of great tips and advice from others who cruised with a young child. Two important words: Umbrella stroller!

Thanks @SuiteTraveler for the tips for children. I sent my wife the link to look through it all!

So I ended up changing the cabin location because of @Ashland pointing out the cabin is close to the nightclub/crypt/raven. We're trying to avoid any noise or rowdiness late at night.

So our new rooms are G-3332 and G-3336. I see they're right by the elevator. Hopefully those these are a little better than G-3264?

Deckplan is here: http://www.icruise.com/c/deckplan2014.php?SailDate=08/21/2015&WMPHShipCode=236&DeckNumber=3&Cabins=3332&search=y

Thanks @SuiteTraveler for the tips for children. I sent my wife the link to look through it all!

So I ended up changing the cabin location because of @Ashland pointing out the cabin is close to the nightclub/crypt/raven. We're trying to avoid any noise or rowdiness late at night.

So our new rooms are G-3332 and G-3336. I see they're right by the elevator. Hopefully those these are a little better than G-3264?

Deckplan is here: http://www.icruise.com/c/deckplan2014.php?SailDate=08/21/2015&WMPHShipCode=236&DeckNumber=3&Cabins=3332&search=y

You might ask (RCI or TA if you used one) to be put on the waitlist (yes there is such a thing) for #3334 so that you'll have connecting cabins with your parents....this works great when traveling with a little one and family.

This new location is a much better choice...don't be concerned with the elevator as that's a good thing and it does face the other way out toward the public area..You'll actually have a wall across from your cabin doors.

But do remember to keep your eye out for a higher deck or balcony cabins....you'd be surprised at how often that opportunity happens when you least expect it. I play musical cabins often.

Best of luck and enjoy !!

Thanks @Ashland. Great to hear the new rooms are better. I'm all booked now and on the waiting list for the connecting room as well.

Last question - how do you keep track of new deals and upgrade opportunities that might pop-up for your already booked cruise? Is there a service that monitors that for you or do you just check regularly.

Thanks @Ashland. Great to hear the new rooms are better. I'm all booked now and on the waiting list for the connecting room as well.

Last question - how do you keep track of new deals and upgrade opportunities that might pop-up for your already booked cruise? Is there a service that monitors that for you or do you just check regularly.

I personally just keep doing mock bookings...so far this has worked out for playing musical cabins...If I see something I either call RCI directly (I prefer not to have a 3rd party involved with my booking and retain ownership of them for this reason)...if it's late at night I put a 24 hour courtesy hold and then call them in the morning.

Glad you are on the waitlist and hope everything works out for your cruise...Enjoy sailing with a toddler...we love sailing with our toddler grandsons...and know your parents will too...quality time and memories = priceless !!

Not sure when you are going, but I would recommend Brilliance if it is sailing during your time! Indy is good! If your son is potty trained I believe he may really enjoy the H20 zone! It will be a great time getting yourself eased into cruising! Enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk